Any cheap but good Italian food restaruants in Milan, Florence, Rome ?

Old August 31st, 2006, 08:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Any cheap but good Italian food restaruants in Milan, Florence, Rome ?

Hi there

Any cheap but good Italian food restaruants or Trattoria to recommend
me for dinner in Milan, Florence and Rome ?

Budget:
Three course (appetizer + pasta + meat/fish) dinner without wine
at around 30 Euro more or less.

Location:
Downtown or near Central Railway Station

Any 2 or 3 restaurants you can recommend ?

MILAN:
1.
2.
3.

FlORENCE:
1.
2.
3.

ROME:
1.
2.
3.

Thanks a lot, folks.

Old August 31st, 2006, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

Default Any cheap but good Italian food restaruants in Milan, Florence,...

Very near the Rome train station (Termini) there is a restaurant
located
in an early '4C AD' bldg if you're interested in a meal within an
historic setting.

*Below are 2 past posts of mine about this restaurant if you're
interested.
Regards, Walter

Author: ParadiseLost ) Date: 03/20/2006, 03:32 pm
*There is a restaurant near Termini that is actually in an intact
Roman
ruin. I didn't eat there but I checked out the prices. Which were
reasonable, alittle higher than Termini-area restaurants but cheaper
than a centrally located restaurant. It is on Via Viminale near the
corner or cross-street Via G. Amendola (the present day photo below is
taken from that corner) and very hard to miss.

[I snipped this from a past post]
http://classics.furman.edu/~rprior/imgs/RCU5/5-097.jpg (the train
station would be off to the left).
See the semi-circular Exedra; Present
day bldgs still follow this line in the Piazza d. Repubblica.
*
Now notice the 2 small circular bldgs to the left and right of the
Exedra in
the far 2 corners of the Bath complex. These are round pavilions which
can be seen today.
The best one meaning more original is on Via Viminale and houses a
restaurant
http://www2.siba.fi/~kkoskim/rooma/pages/167_029B.HTM

The other one has
been built over and is a church in the Piazza S. Bernardo
http://www.romeartlover.it/Vas127bf.jpg

*XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
5/13/2006 I just got back from Rome and I ate in that restaurant I
mention above 3x. I'm not a foodie or a winey but I thought the food was
very good, it was the best steak I've ever had in Rome.
And the House wine is a corked bottle for 10e which I enjoyed.

The ancient Pavilion bldg that the restaurant is located in is round. A
passageway for cars was cut thru the middle that leads into a large
courtyard private parking area. So on the ground floor the restaurant
occupies ~half of the bldg. This section seats ~36 people comfortably.
The 2nd floor (20 steps) takes up the complete bldg and seats ~100.

*You can see large sections of the ancient brickwork and where it has
been modernly remodeled in the interior it is done in an ancient style.
Like the doors and archways have a brick arch over them. And along the
walls there is a concrete band ===== that protects the walls from the
table and chairs (wainscoating) with leaves and flowers in an ancient
style. And the sinks in the w.c. are like ancient clay basins.

There is also a diagram of the 'Baths of Diocletian' and info on the
wall of this
site as soon as you enter.

There is also a roof garden on the 2nd floor for outside dining, this
is within the courtyard so no views except of
the stars above.

The service was *very* friendly by everyone and I mean exceptional! They
also had a singer with a guitar (an employee) to liven things up.

*Their prices were great, I was only paying ~5e more than what I was
paying in average restaurants where I was staying near the Roman Forum.

I had their most expensive steak fillet (15E), a pasta dish, bottle of
wine, large bottle of water, bread and 10% service charge which all came
to 40e.

Meat dishes; 10-15e
Pasta dishes; 8-15e (half under 10e)
Fish; 15e
Soup; 5-8e
Hors d'oeuvre; 8-12e
Bottled 750ml House Wine; 10e.

It's called the Ristorante 'Terme di Diocleziano' on 'Via del Viminale
3/A'. Telephone; 06.4742184 or 06.4872120 FAX; 06.48903083

They opened at 7PM the Friday I went there but I'm certain they were
open just after 6PM when I went there in mid-week.

One night a large
group (~40-50) arrived (not a bus tour group) and went upstairs, so I
assume you can also book the 2nd floor. Casual dress is fine, I was in
jeans everytime.

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old August 31st, 2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

B*Vaughan wrote:

When I went to Rome a month or so ago,
you had mentioned that restaurant to me.
My daughter and I saw it, and were
planning to eat there one evening.

Well at least you knew what that weird looking brick structure
sticking-out into the street was. It's usually not mentioned in
guidebooks.

However, that evening we got tired early
and bought some salad to take back to the
hotel for supper.

'Been there, done that' many of times, my relaxing holidays totally
exhaust me

Although with me it's usually meat, cheese, olives and bread plus a
bottle+ of wine taken only medicinally for my aching feet and legs.
Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old September 1st, 2006, 06:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerrit 't Hart

"Poetic Justice" wrote in message
B Vaughan wrote:

When I went to Rome a month or so ago,
you had mentioned that restaurant to me.
My daughter and I saw it, and were
planning to eat there one evening.

Well at least you knew what that weird looking brick structure
sticking-out into the street was. It's usually not mentioned in
guidebooks.

However, that evening we got tired early
and bought some salad to take back to the
hotel for supper.

'Been there, done that' many of times, my relaxing holidays totally
exhaust me

Although with me it's usually meat, cheese, olives and bread plus a
bottle+ of wine taken only medicinally for my aching feet and legs.
Regards, Walter

Never a truer word spoken (in this case written).
Vino taken for aching legs and feet is very effective - soon you don't feel
your legs anymore (bliss) and then you don't feel your feet either nor
can/want to use them anymore. :-)

Gerrit - Oz

Old September 1st, 2006, 08:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Poetic Justice wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:

When I went to Rome a month or so ago,
you had mentioned that restaurant to me.
My daughter and I saw it, and were
planning to eat there one evening.

Well at least you knew what that weird looking brick structure
sticking-out into the street was. It's usually not mentioned in
guidebooks.

However, that evening we got tired early
and bought some salad to take back to the
hotel for supper.

'Been there, done that' many of times, my relaxing holidays totally
exhaust me

Only severe illness would make me consider skipping a restaurant meal
while on holiday! It's part of the fun...

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old September 1st, 2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 08:18:20 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of
the royal duchy of city south and deansgate) wrote:

Poetic Justice wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:

When I went to Rome a month or so ago,
you had mentioned that restaurant to me.
My daughter and I saw it, and were
planning to eat there one evening.

Well at least you knew what that weird looking brick structure
sticking-out into the street was. It's usually not mentioned in
guidebooks.

However, that evening we got tired early
and bought some salad to take back to the
hotel for supper.

'Been there, done that' many of times, my relaxing holidays totally
exhaust me

Only severe illness would make me consider skipping a restaurant meal
while on holiday! It's part of the fun...

We had already had lunch at a pretty nice restaurant and then walked
for hours after lunch. We would have needed a shower and a change to
go to a restaurant for dinner. We picked up the salad (and some fruit)
at the Autogrill in Termini Station.

I really don't consider a restaurant meal a necessity twice a day
when I'm on holiday. I like to eat out at least once a day, in a
reasonable restaurant (or pub or pizzeria) and to include one or two
good restaurant meals per week. Good restaurants tend to eat up a lot
of time and there are lots of other things I want to see and do.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old September 1st, 2006, 05:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Poetic Justice wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:

[...]

Well, it's all a question of personal preference of course, but yes,
I'll try to eat lunch and dinner in a restaurant when on holiday. The
evening meal usually tends to stretch out the most, as there are less
other things I want to do then.

Old September 1st, 2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, B Vaughan wrote:
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of

Only severe illness would make me consider skipping a restaurant meal
while on holiday! It's part of the fun...

I really don't consider a restaurant meal a necessity twice a day when
I'm on holiday. [...] Good restaurants tend to eat up a lot of time

.... and money.

If I'm in a "stantial" holiday I like the full pension scheme to have
all dinners at the hotel. If I go out, I can ask them a basket lunch
(nice e.g. hiking around Elba).

If I'm on a touring holiday on my own, I'd like to save time to see the
sights more than eating. So large breakfast, picnic lunch, maybe on a
train, or some quick self-service. Sometimes also quick dinner while
travelling. Done once 8am to 10 pm day (to find hotel room locked, in
Luzern).

If I'm on an organized tour (almost exclusively TCI), I prefer those
which include full board, but with a light lunch. I can stand those
which include full board with lunch at a real restaurant but they make
me sleepy. I do not quite like those with "free lunch" (pranzo libero,
which in italian does not mean free in terms of money, but free in the
sense you go where you want, and pay ... not included in tour) because
you waste time finding a place to eat, and then have to wait for those
who went to a slow place.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Giovanni Drogo wrote:

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, B Vaughan wrote:
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of

Only severe illness would make me consider skipping a restaurant meal
while on holiday! It's part of the fun...

I really don't consider a restaurant meal a necessity twice a day when
I'm on holiday. [...] Good restaurants tend to eat up a lot of time

... and money.

One of the advantages of living in the UK is that money tends to be less
of an issue when dining, at least in continental Europe! Seriously
though, I find the costs involved usually quite reasonable.

If I'm in a "stantial" holiday I like the full pension scheme to have
all dinners at the hotel.

I would find that boring after a point. I did a Nile cruise in the late
90s and while the food on the ship was very good, I got bored of it
after a while. For me, eating is part of the holiday, and just as
interesting as visiting a museum, but people have different things they
want to prioritise, I realise.

About the only thing I'd want a hotel to do for me is breakfast, but
even then it would depend. The 'included' breakfast at the hotel in
Ljubljana I stayed in was on a new order of dreadfulness- the coffee was
something else entirely. Luke warm, and tasting like something
indescribable. One sip, and I changed to the tea, for which they had
bags. I wanted to warn the many Italians there! The simple breakfast
at the bus stop the next day was a hundred times better!