Is this fare likely to go up or down?

Old September 18th, 2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Kiran

Default Is this fare likely to go up or down?

We need a "Chicago-London-Delhi-Chicago" ticket in Feb/March 2007 with
one constraint: London-Delhi leg has to be a specific flight on a
specific date to accompany a relative. Other legs are flexible, dates
as well as airlines.

At present the ticket prices out to approx $1300. Since the flights are
5-6 months away, is this likely to go up or down?

Travel agents are giving me conflicting advice: one says our required
flight is likely to get full, another one says specials for Feb/March
travel are likely to be announced in December...
Old September 18th, 2006, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:13:46 GMT Kiran wrote:

:We need a "Chicago-London-Delhi-Chicago" ticket in Feb/March 2007 with
:one constraint: London-Delhi leg has to be a specific flight on a
:specific date to accompany a relative. Other legs are flexible, dates
:as well as airlines.

:At present the ticket prices out to approx $1300. Since the flights are
:5-6 months away, is this likely to go up or down?

:Travel agents are giving me conflicting advice: one says our required
:flight is likely to get full, another one says specials for Feb/March
:travel are likely to be announced in December...

If you need a specific flight you are pretty well screwed. What are you going
to do if the flight IS full?

Can the relative change his flight?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old September 18th, 2006, 06:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Miss L. Toe

"Kiran" wrote in message
We need a "Chicago-London-Delhi-Chicago" ticket in Feb/March 2007 with
one constraint: London-Delhi leg has to be a specific flight on a
specific date to accompany a relative. Other legs are flexible, dates
as well as airlines.

At present the ticket prices out to approx $1300. Since the flights are
5-6 months away, is this likely to go up or down?

Travel agents are giving me conflicting advice: one says our required
flight is likely to get full, another one says specials for Feb/March
travel are likely to be announced in December...

That looks like a good price to me.
How much cheaper does the TA think it might be ?
Is it worth taking the risk for that saving ?

Old September 18th, 2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Kiran

:
: At present the ticket prices out to approx $1300. Since the flights are
: 5-6 months away, is this likely to go up or down?
:
: Travel agents are giving me conflicting advice: one says our required
: flight is likely to get full, another one says specials for Feb/March
: travel are likely to be announced in December...
:
: That looks like a good price to me.
: How much cheaper does the TA think it might be ?
: Is it worth taking the risk for that saving ?

February is low season but I don't know how low the tickets will go. Is
it worth the risk missing the flight on which my relative is? I am
trying to estimate that risk. My desire to accompany and assist this
person is sincere. For $50 saving, I wouldn't bother. For $200-300
saving I could chance it *if* there is a reasonable chance: after all,
it is not my honeymoon flight, if I miss it I can always apologize.

I really don't know these airlines on that route in that season. I
would appreciate comments from people who do. (I have usually travelled
to Delhi by Air India or KLM.)
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Adam Grinter

"Hilary" wrote in message
reen.net...
We need a "Chicago-London-Delhi-Chicago" ticket in Feb/March 2007 with
one constraint: London-Delhi leg has to be a specific flight on a
specific date to accompany a relative. Other legs are flexible, dates
as well as airlines.

At present the ticket prices out to approx $1300. Since the flights are
5-6 months away, is this likely to go up or down?

I'm not in America, but it seems to me that $US1300 for a Round The World
ticket is pretty good, especially when it includes a specific feature that
you like. How much cheaper can it get? Book it.

Old September 19th, 2006, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air
kcsteph

Adam Grinter wrote:

: I'm not in America, but it seems to me that $US1300 for a
: Round The World ticket is pretty good...

Technically, the OP's "Chicago-London-Delhi-Chicago" ticket is not
"round the world" but a round trip to Delhi with a stop in London.
A true round the world ticket would at minimum be like

"Chicago-London-Delhi-Tokyo-Chicago"
(crossing both Atlantic and Pacific)

and more typically like

"Chicago-London-Istanbul-Nairobi-Delhi-Singapore-Sydney-Tokyo-Chicago"

The price may still be good. I am not denying that, although I don't
know it myself.
Old September 19th, 2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
ant[_7_]

Kiran wrote:

At present the ticket prices out to approx $1300. Since the flights
are 5-6 months away, is this likely to go up or down?

That is pretty bloody cheap. are you really willing ot gamble it on it
getting cheaper?
--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Old September 19th, 2006, 05:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Frank F. Matthews

kcsteph wrote:
Adam Grinter wrote:

: I'm not in America, but it seems to me that $US1300 for a
: Round The World ticket is pretty good...

Technically, the OP's "Chicago-London-Delhi-Chicago" ticket is not
"round the world" but a round trip to Delhi with a stop in London.
A true round the world ticket would at minimum be like

"Chicago-London-Delhi-Tokyo-Chicago"
(crossing both Atlantic and Pacific)

and more typically like

"Chicago-London-Istanbul-Nairobi-Delhi-Singapore-Sydney-Tokyo-Chicago"

The price may still be good. I am not denying that, although I don't
know it myself.

The RWT question turns on the direction of the Delhi Chicago segment.
It could go either way.
Old September 19th, 2006, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
kcsteph

Frank F. Matthews:
: The RWT question turns on the direction of the Delhi Chicago segment.
: It could go either way.

I believe RTW is defined by *stops* taken by the passenger, not the
path of the plane, which might be polar for all we know.
Old September 19th, 2006, 06:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air
js

kcsteph wrote:
Frank F. Matthews:
: The RWT question turns on the direction of the Delhi Chicago segment.
: It could go either way.

I believe RTW is defined by *stops* taken by the passenger, not the
path of the plane, which might be polar for all we know.

Considering that both are north of the equator....ORD-DEL-ORD in the
absence of SIN, BKK, or NRT, or its generic equivalent makes a RT not
an RTW.

And yes, RTW IS defined by direction in addition to stops. Usually
three continents with no backtracking is the criterion for RTW.

Having enjoyed this adventure (both the RT and RTW) on more than one
occasion....

js