Siem Reap , Malaria

Old December 16th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Del

Default Siem Reap , Malaria

I will be visiting this area in late January or early February. Should
I be concerned with Malaria? Also what about Ko Chang in Thailand?
Thank you for your advise.

Old December 16th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Don't worry about malaria unless you will be trekking in the country or
jungles for an extended period of time. We went to Siem Reap for 5
days and did a lot of exploring, and didn't encounter any bugs.
--Kim

Old December 16th, 2004, 06:16 PM
WayneHazle

Did you travel anywhere else in Cambodia? We would like to , so if you
have any highlights to share and do's and do nots , we would appreciate
the help.

I went to Cambodia in 2001. It was one of my greatest trips ever 4 days in
Siem Reap. I did take Larium but I didn't get bitten by a single bug while I
was there.

But I beg people going to see Angkor Temples to also go to Phnom Penh and spend
a little more $$$ in Cambodia. The Royal Palace with the Silver Pagoda was
cool.

Of course you MUST go to Toul Sleng, a site of horrible evil, but necessary to
see. Then drive out to the Genocidal Memorial Park.

www.waynehazle.com/seasia/

Old December 17th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article .com,
"Del" wrote:

I will be visiting this area in late January or early February. Should
I be concerned with Malaria? Also what about Ko Chang in Thailand?

Supposed to be a malaria-free island in a malaria zone. We didn;t take
an malaria meds for a 3 day trip early this year but did use a lot of
insect repellent and wore long sleeve/legged clothes. Either do that or
take medication.

Old December 17th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Michael Christoffersen

"Del" wrote in message
oups.com...
I will be visiting this area in late January or early February. Should
I be concerned with Malaria? Also what about Ko Chang in Thailand?
Thank you for your advise.

I spent 3 month in Koh Chang during nov-feb. Slept in a hut without a
mosquito net and several times in a hammock on the porch.
Don`t recall being bitten, used no deterrent at all.
There are some sand flies though particularly on the southern beaches.
Never saw any mossies in SR as well, which I visited in december.
Stayed in an unscreened room at a GH.

Cheers
Michael Christoffersen

Old December 17th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Michael Christoffersen" kirjoitti viestissä
k...

"Del" wrote in message
oups.com...
I will be visiting this area in late January or early February. Should
I be concerned with Malaria? Also what about Ko Chang in Thailand?
Thank you for your advise.

I spent 3 month in Koh Chang during nov-feb. Slept in a hut without a
mosquito net and several times in a hammock on the porch.
Don`t recall being bitten, used no deterrent at all.
There are some sand flies though particularly on the southern beaches.
Never saw any mossies in SR as well, which I visited in december.
Stayed in an unscreened room at a GH.

Do you know whether they have already started/finished the road construction
to fill the last unbuilt gap at the southern edge to accomplish the paved
road to encircle the entire island?