Andalucia Roads Questions

Old September 26th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Gram

Default Andalucia Roads Questions

I am travelling to SW Andalucia at the end of November and I was wondering
if any of you may know the answers to the following questions!

1.Is there a website that has the current tolls for the A4 between Sevilla,
Jerez and Cadiz, and the A7 along the Costa Del Sol?
2.Is there an online route/roads log for Andalucia anywhere? I'm sure I've
seen a reference to one somewhere but I can't remember where?
3.Is the A92, between Sevilla and Granada, a proper motorway (M1/M6 style
with 3 lanes each way and proper shoulders) or a dual carriageway (A50/A3
style wth 2/3 lanes each way and no shoulders)?
4.Is the N340 along the Costa Del Sol still a lethal road or has it been
made a bit safer?
5.Is it sensible to drive into Gibraltar or should one leave the car on the
Spanish side of the border and walk into Gibraltar?
6.Are the mountain roads around Ronda safe to drive in the dark? Do they
have proper crash barriers, white/yellow lines etc?
7.Does anyone know of any decent places to park on the south side of the
river in Sevilla?

Can anyone help,
All assistance gratefully received,

Graham

Old September 26th, 2003, 09:12 AM
José M. Malo

"Gram" escribió en el mensaje

1.Is there a website that has the current tolls for the A4 between

Sevilla,
Jerez and Cadiz, and the A7 along the Costa Del Sol?

Not only of those, but for all Spanish toll roads:

http://www.dgt.es/carreteras/peajes.html

Old September 26th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Reid©

Following up to Gram

Guesses from memory so don't take as gospel!

1.Is there a website that has the current tolls for the A4 between Sevilla,
Jerez and Cadiz,

don't know website but that ones free IIRC

and the A7 along the Costa Del Sol?
2.Is there an online route/roads log for Andalucia anywhere? I'm sure I've
seen a reference to one somewhere but I can't remember where?
3.Is the A92, between Sevilla and Granada, a proper motorway (M1/M6 style
with 3 lanes each way and proper shoulders) or a dual carriageway (A50/A3
style wth 2/3 lanes each way and no shoulders)?

Spanish motorways nearly all 2 lane with shoulder

4.Is the N340 along the Costa Del Sol still a lethal road or has it been
made a bit safer?

lethal IIRC

5.Is it sensible to drive into Gibraltar or should one leave the car on the
Spanish side of the border and walk into Gibraltar?

walk

6.Are the mountain roads around Ronda safe to drive in the dark? Do they
have proper crash barriers, white/yellow lines etc?

safe if you drive well! Often faint or non existent white lines,
limited barriers.

--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old September 26th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Miguel Cruz

Gram wrote:
5.Is it sensible to drive into Gibraltar or should one leave the car on the
Spanish side of the border and walk into Gibraltar?

1) Gibraltar is tiny.

2) The queue to enter and leave with a car is sometimes pretty long. The
pedestrian queue is usually nonexistent, and moves quickly even when it does
exist.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 26th, 2003, 01:42 PM
R J Carpenter

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Gram wrote:
5.Is it sensible to drive into Gibraltar or should one leave the car on

the
Spanish side of the border and walk into Gibraltar?

1) Gibraltar is tiny.

2) The queue to enter and leave with a car is sometimes pretty long. The
pedestrian queue is usually nonexistent, and moves quickly even when it

does
exist.

It is between one and two miles from the border to "downtown" Gibraltar.

Old September 26th, 2003, 10:48 PM
Nige

"Gram" wrote in message
I am travelling to SW Andalucia at the end of November and I was wondering
if any of you may know the answers to the following questions!

1.Is there a website that has the current tolls for the A4 between

Sevilla,
Jerez and Cadiz, and the A7 along the Costa Del Sol?

There is a toll of approx. 5 Euros between Sevilla and Jerez (about half
way) = the motorway is the best way to travel as the old N4 can be a bit
SLOW with truckers.
Along the Costa del Sol motorway between Malaga and near Sotogrande is about
10 Euros and you pay at 3 seperate toll booths. The coastal road N340 can be
fine out of season if you are not in any mad hurry.

I just use www.viamichelin.com for routes and estimates journey times etc.

3.Is the A92, between Sevilla and Granada, a proper motorway (M1/M6 style
with 3 lanes each way and proper shoulders) or a dual carriageway (A50/A3
style wth 2/3 lanes each way and no shoulders)?

2 lanes mainly - good road - no probs

4.Is the N340 along the Costa Del Sol still a lethal road or has it been
made a bit safer?

see (1) - it can be unsafe at night

5.Is it sensible to drive into Gibraltar or should one leave the car on

the
Spanish side of the border and walk into Gibraltar?

if visiting for a day then definitely leave car at La Linea - forget the
queue lane (assuming that you arrive when there is a queue!)

6.Are the mountain roads around Ronda safe to drive in the dark? Do they
have proper crash barriers, white/yellow lines etc?

No road is safe to drive in the dark in the mountains IMHO. Marbella to
Ronda is 1 hour.

?

Old September 27th, 2003, 01:18 AM
Eddy le Couvreur

"R J Carpenter" schreef in bericht

Gram wrote:
5.Is it sensible to drive into Gibraltar or should one leave the car

on
the
Spanish side of the border and walk into Gibraltar?

1) Gibraltar is tiny.

2) The queue to enter and leave with a car is sometimes pretty long. The
pedestrian queue is usually nonexistent, and moves quickly even when it

does
exist.

It is between one and two miles from the border to "downtown" Gibraltar.

True, but there is a frequent and inexpensive bus service from the border to
downtown Gibraltar. It certainly is a lot faster than taking the car. Also
consider the hassle and costs of parking in tiny Gibraltar!

Old September 27th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Gram

Many thanks to you all for your replies. The dgt site for the autopistas was
definitely the kind of thing I was looking for, and I guess I'll be walking
into Gibraltar.
My 7th question should, of course, have said south side of the city, rather
than river. A big whoops on my part! The perils of looking at a tourist
map of a city!

Many thanks again,
Graham.

Old September 29th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Reid©

Following up to Eddy le Couvreur

It is between one and two miles from the border to "downtown" Gibraltar.

True, but there is a frequent and inexpensive bus service from the border to
downtown Gibraltar. It certainly is a lot faster than taking the car. Also
consider the hassle and costs of parking in tiny Gibraltar!

why take a bus for one mile?
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Eddy le Couvreur

"Reid©" schreef in bericht
Following up to Eddy le Couvreur

It is between one and two miles from the border to "downtown"

Gibraltar.

True, but there is a frequent and inexpensive bus service from the border

downtown Gibraltar. It certainly is a lot faster than taking the car.

Also
consider the hassle and costs of parking in tiny Gibraltar!

why take a bus for one mile?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
UK walking "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Spain,cuisines and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" -- dontuse@

all, it's a spamtrap

It's more than a mile, uphill and the route is not very suitable for
pedestrians.