Spirit of Tasmania

Old November 8th, 2008, 06:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

Default Spirit of Tasmania

I've had the good fortune to make several trips to Australia, including one
cruise. I recently learned of a cruise from Melbourne to Tasmania on ships
called the Spirit of Tasmania. It looks like two ships with the same name
sailing back and forth for day trips or overnights. Has anybody done this?
There are some interesting places in Western Tasi that I would like to see,
such as Strahan village and the Lady Jane cruise and the wilderness
railroad.

If you have some info, could you share it?

Harry Cooper

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_4_]

"Seehorse Video" wrote in
:

I've had the good fortune to make several trips to Australia,
including one cruise. I recently learned of a cruise from Melbourne
to Tasmania on ships called the Spirit of Tasmania. It looks like two
ships with the same name sailing back and forth for day trips or
overnights. Has anybody done this? There are some interesting places
in Western Tasi that I would like to see, such as Strahan village and
the Lady Jane cruise and the wilderness railroad.

If you have some info, could you share it?

Harry Cooper

http://www.usenet.com

I wouldn't call it a cruise per se, but the Spirit of Tasmania,
Melbourne to Devonport, is a daily ferry across the Bass Straight.
Strahan and the cruise from there, again more of a day trip, are among
the more famous destinations in Tasmania, but do not miss Cradle
Mountain Lake.

The spirit crossings are nightly. (May be some exception in the summer
months)

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old November 8th, 2008, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
"Seehorse Video" wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for the info. It looked like you could cruise over, spend the night
on board in a variety of cabin categories, then return the next day.
Optionally, it looks as though you could cruise over, stay any length of
time, then return to Melbourne on a later cruise. The second option would
allow time to explore some of Tasmania. Cradle mountain does look good.

One thing that caught my attention is that the Australian dollar was worth
97 cents US last July and now it is worth 67 cents. That spells bargain
prices to me, like getting a 30% pay increase. That is what got me thinking
Australia. By the way, HAL has a leisurely cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to
Sydney in January. Or from LA, if you prefer. Florida is closer for me.

Harry Cooper

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_4_]

"Seehorse Video" wrote in
:

even at $.97 Australia was not overpriced, Next week when I arrive I
intend to buy the place!

The cruise over is good if you have the time, but the flight is not so
bad as you might think since there is actually time to sleep unlike the
transAtlantic flights.

Tasmania needs at least 4 or 5 days. It is a beautiful place, and unique
in Australia. Only place for devils and quoll. Hobart is a must and
Freycinet has the lovliest bay in OZ,

Old November 9th, 2008, 08:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 11/8/2008 8:50 PM Joseph Coulter did a "happy dance", then made
these writings:
"Seehorse Video" wrote in
:

even at $.97 Australia was not overpriced, Next week when I arrive I
intend to buy the place!

The cruise over is good if you have the time, but the flight is not so
bad as you might think since there is actually time to sleep unlike the
transAtlantic flights.

Tasmania needs at least 4 or 5 days. It is a beautiful place, and unique
in Australia. Only place for devils and quoll. Hobart is a must and
Freycinet has the lovliest bay in OZ,

Pardon my ignorance but what's a quoll?

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old November 9th, 2008, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_4_]

Brian K wrote in
m:

It is a carnivorous marsupial which is found in Tasmania. I could send a
picture by email if you wish; however, I am sure that you can find on
online.

Old November 9th, 2008, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Seehorse Video

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
"Seehorse Video" wrote in
:

even at $.97 Australia was not overpriced, Next week when I arrive I
intend to buy the place!

The cruise over is good if you have the time, but the flight is not so
bad as you might think since there is actually time to sleep unlike the
transAtlantic flights.

Tasmania needs at least 4 or 5 days. It is a beautiful place, and unique
in Australia. Only place for devils and quoll. Hobart is a must and
Freycinet has the lovliest bay in OZ,

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Joseph, you're preaching to the choir as I have been to Australia several
times for a total of about 8 weeks. The Wrest Point hotel in Hobart is
wonderful as is the Country Club in Launceston. The suites are "dear" but
deluxe and the golf course is a good one.

Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra have a lot to offer, especially the people
who are great. The small towns are really neat to visit and so are the
beaches, all of which can be topless if you wish.

My first flight over was San Diego to LA to Honolulu to Auckland to Sydney
in only 24 hours. Tuesday, Reagan's first election day, never happened. I
went from Monday to Wednesday. But I went first class so it was very
pleasant. (Note to young people - flying used to be fun.) The last time I
went from Sydney to Auckland to Fiji to Samoa to Pango Pango to Bora Bora to
Moorea to Tahiti to Tonga to Christmas Isle to Hilo to Maui to Honolulu to
San Fran to Indiana (home). 28 great days.

I started this thread because I haven't tried Western Tasmania and the
little Spirit of Tasi cruise goes there.

97 cents is a bargain, 67 cents exchange rate is making out like a bandit.
I might help you buy the country, one trip at a time. You said you leave
next week, where are you going and are you tempted to not come home?

Harry Cooper

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 9th, 2008, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gettamulla Tupya

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 03:24:52 -0500, Brian K wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but what's a quoll?

A fierce marsupial that includes American tourists in its diet...

Old November 10th, 2008, 07:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Thanks for the explanation. Quoll, an interesting word. It trips off the
tongue in an awkward way. The very sound conjures up such an image that
I don't want to spoil it by actually viewing a picture of one. Again
thanks.

On 11/9/2008 7:10 AM Joseph Coulter did a "happy dance", then made
these writings:

Old November 10th, 2008, 07:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 11/9/2008 4:00 PM Gettamulla Tupya did a "happy dance", then made
these writings:
On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 03:24:52 -0500, Brian K wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but what's a quoll?

A fierce marsupial that includes American tourists in its diet...

Have you read "Tourist Season"? You might enjoy reading it while
visiting Miami's South Beach. Nevertheless, my image of a quoll is sort
of a muppit like creature that's God's way of going "Oops!" :-)

--
________