Hotel Recommendation NYC - Advice Sought

Old March 13th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Shawn P. Good

Default Hotel Recommendation NYC - Advice Sought

Hello :

I'm surprising my wife on her birthday in June and taking her to New York
City to see Cirque du Soleil, which is performing on Randall Island Park.
We've never been to NYC before and so we're completely at a loss in terms of
booking a hotel and knowing 1) if it's a good hotel and not a dump, and 2)
where it is in relation to Randall Island Park.

If at all possible, we want to be in a hotel close to the location, but
still in a nice part of the city. From what I can gather on maps I've
found, Randall Island Park seems to be near Harlem ...... and again, I could
be completely wrong not knowing the city, but I'm not sure if Harlem is an
area we want to stay in.

Anyways, I'm looking for good advice on reasonable NYC hotels that are close
we can contact. Hotels with websites would be a plus.

Thanks !

Old March 14th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Paul McGee

I'm not sure if Harlem is an area we want to stay in.

No, Harlem is not the place you want to stay. It is a very run down, high crime area. May I
suggest the Harbor House Inn on Staten Island? It is a very quaint bed and breakfast right on the
harbor with a view of Manhattan.

Hotels with websites would be a plus.

Here is their web site which has all the information: www.bbonline.com/ny/harborhouse/. Hope this
helps. Write back if you would like more information.

Regards,
Paul
Old March 14th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Brian Wickham

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:32:24 -0500, "Shawn P. Good"
wrote:

Hello :

I'm surprising my wife on her birthday in June and taking her to New York
City to see Cirque du Soleil, which is performing on Randall Island Park.
We've never been to NYC before and so we're completely at a loss in terms of
booking a hotel and knowing 1) if it's a good hotel and not a dump, and 2)
where it is in relation to Randall Island Park.

If at all possible, we want to be in a hotel close to the location, but
still in a nice part of the city. From what I can gather on maps I've
found, Randall Island Park seems to be near Harlem ...... and again, I could
be completely wrong not knowing the city, but I'm not sure if Harlem is an
area we want to stay in.

Anyways, I'm looking for good advice on reasonable NYC hotels that are close
we can contact. Hotels with websites would be a plus.

If you plan to take public transportation to Randall's Island (we are)
then you should probably be looking for a hotel on Lexington Ave in
the East 40s or 50s. No matter where you stay you will still need to
take the Lexington Ave subway to 125 Street. Any other subway will
then require a bus ride across 125th to Lexington Ave. This could
take 30 to 45 minutes as the traffic is terrible west of Lexington.

Take the Lexington Ave subway line, trains 4, 5, or 6 to 125 Street.
Go upstairs and on the North West corner is a bus stop where special
buses will leave for Randall's Island. They charge you for the round
trip and go express directly to the event on Randalls Island. To use
these buses you need a Metro Card with a money value on it, they won't
take unlimited use cards. If you have a limited use card you can take
the M35 bus at the same bus stop. Last year on the return ride the
express bus did not ask for any proof that you paid, as there IS no
proof!

You could also take a cab. I estimate the price from Midtown at about
$10 plus tip and toll. Getting back may be a problem but you can
always hop on the free return leg of the express bus. If you take a
cab specify that he drive up the Eastside and not the Westside. Avoid
having to drive across the 125th Street traffic mess.

Brian Wickham
Old March 14th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Larry Gould

Although Harlem is no where near as bad as a previous item in the thread
reported, it is not a good place for lodging. For travel to Randall's
Island, the best places to stay are in East Midtown. If you want to
take Cirque's special ferry, try a place on East 34th or so. There's a
cluster of hotels at 38th & Park.....If you want to use the express bus
connection to the subway, stay in a hotel on Lexington. There are many
hotels on Lexington in the upper 40's to low 50's. The Cirque ferry
leaves from East 34th & the East River. For the bus, take any train on
Lexington Avenue to 125th and then the X-80 express bus. Don't take a
taxi to Cirque; you'll never get one back! There is parking at Cirque,
but you'd never want to stay in Manhattan with a car. If you have a car,
stay at a hotel near LaGuardia. It is a 10 minute drive to Cirque.

In

--
"There's no such thing as Free Parking!"
Larry Gould

Old March 14th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Pan

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:20:29 GMT, Paul McGee
wrote:

I'm not sure if Harlem is an area we want to stay in.

No, Harlem is not the place you want to stay. It is a very run down, high crime area.

When's the last time you were in Harlem? I walked from 181 St. and Ft.
Washington Av. down Broadway and St. Nicholas Av. to 137 St.
yesterday, and I've walked in other parts of Harlem several times in
the last year. It's not nearly so rundown as it used to be; in fact,
many parts of it have gentrified significantly and friends of mine who
live up there tell me it's becoming expensive. Nor is it a very
high-crime area anymore, as far as I know. Seems to me your
information is about 10 years out of date.

May I
suggest the Harbor House Inn on Staten Island? It is a very quaint bed and breakfast right on the
harbor with a view of Manhattan.

Why would you suggest for someone who wants to go to Randall's Island
to stay in Staten Island? Can you say easily a 2-hour trip each way?

I agree with the others that it would be best to find someplace on the
East Side.

Based on this map

http://mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

you will have to take the M35 bus to get to Randall's Island.

Here's a schedule:

http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/manh/m035cur.pdf

The 35 starts its route at 125 St. and Lexington Av., so if you take
the Lexington Av. subway (4, 5, or 6), you can get out at the 125 St.
stop, find the bus stop, and transfer.

And if you have time, do walk in Harlem. Walk down 125 St., for
example. It's like no other neighborhood in New York.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old March 15th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Paul McGee

Staten Island would probably be the worst choice of a place to stay for a visit to NYC

That is a matter of opinion. This place I recommended is a very pleasant B&B furnished with
antiques and the owner is a nice lady who pampers her guests. The rates are also far below the
prices on Manhattan. The drawback is that there is quite a ride on the ferry and subway to Randall
Island.

If you've never tried this place and the commute doesn't bother you, I highly recommend it.

Paul
Old March 15th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Paul McGee

When's the last time you were in Harlem?

Two years ago. It was bad. Dangerous to be more specific.

I agree with the others that it would be best to find someplace on the East Side.

I agree with you. The price on this place can't be beat though so if this person is on a budget I
thought this might be helpful. This is where I stayed and it was fine.

Paul
Old March 15th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Pan

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:07:13 GMT, Paul McGee
wrote:

When's the last time you were in Harlem?

Two years ago. It was bad. Dangerous to be more specific.

Hmmm, well, I walked down St. Nicholas Av. and Amsterdam from 181 St.
to 149 St. today. Once again, no problems.

How do you figure it was dangerous? Something happen to you? Where
were you, and at what time of day?

I agree with the others that it would be best to find someplace on the East Side.

I agree with you. The price on this place can't be beat though so if this person is on a budget I
thought this might be helpful. This is where I stayed and it was fine.

I'd sooner consider staying at the 135 St. YMCA if I were on a budget.
At least it wouldn't take 2 hours to get to Randall's Island from
there.

Old March 15th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Pan

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:03:27 GMT, Paul McGee
wrote:

[snip]
The drawback is that there is quite a ride on the ferry and subway to Randall
Island.

[snip]

Ferry + subway + bus.

Old March 15th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Shawn P. Good

Default Paul & Pan - Hotel Recommendation NYC - Advice Sought

Thank you Paul and Pan for your energetic debate on where my wife and I
should stay ! I truly do appreciate both of your opinions. However, we're
taking the train from Vermont to NYC, and once there, we want to be close to
everything we want to do. My wife and I are not old (we're both 34) and we
love to walk and walk and walk - but with the intention of seeing the sights
and other things as we walk. We won't really want to have to travel around
alot once we're there just to get somewhere interesting. So - while our
primary reason for going to NYC will be to see Cirque du Soleil at Randall's
Island Park, the day before and the day after the show, we also want to do
the tourist things around NYC. So - no offense, but perhaps a B&B on Staten
Island, for the purposes of this trip, is not going to be best suited to our
needs. I think somewhere on the middle or upper east side is going to work
best. I think I may look for hotels along Lexington Ave.

Now - if someone has specific recommendations in THAT area, I'm all ears !

Thanks again - Shawn