Indian Pacific Question

Old June 25th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Red Winestain

Default Indian Pacific Question

We're booked for the Indian Pacific (from Perth to Sydney) in Golden
Kangroo class (thanks to a wonderful gift). We've got a lot of info
from http://www.gsr.com.au/indian/gold.htm, but have a few questions
if any of you have been on the train.

1. The food is included, but the wine is extra. I assume that can be
billed to a credit card? Do you get a big bill at the end or is it pay
as you go? Do you need cash for anything?

2. More generally, an info packet we got with the tickets says that
tipping is usually not done. Is this accurate? Here in the US, pretty
much everyone (bartender, waiter, porter) expects at tip. What's the
convention?

3. Are the Broken Hill, Adelaide, and/or Kalgoorie tours worth it or
are we better off wondering by ourselves?

4. Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.
Old June 26th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Red Winestain at
wrote on 6/25/04 6:33 PM:

1. The food is included, but the wine is extra. I assume that can be
billed to a credit card? Do you get a big bill at the end or is it pay
as you go? Do you need cash for anything?

I honestly can't remember seeing a CC option (it may not be available b/c of
the potential need to phone in authorization, but I'm guessing) - in any
event, though, unless you're a complete lush you won't need THAT much money.

2. More generally, an info packet we got with the tickets says that
tipping is usually not done. Is this accurate? Here in the US, pretty
much everyone (bartender, waiter, porter) expects at tip. What's the
convention?

Yes, what you read is accurate. Service industries are well paid COMPARED
TO the N.Am. standard, and as a result the price you see is pretty much the
price you're expected to paid. If you have a tab of, say, $95, you might
say "forget the change" from $100, but nobody will spit in your coffee if
you want the fiver back.

3. Are the Broken Hill, Adelaide, and/or Kalgoorie tours worth it or
are we better off wondering by ourselves?

BHQ is one of my fave places and unless you know the town it can take a
little navigation, so my inclination is to take the tour. ADL is very
logically laid out so you can meander around without a problem - for the
time you're there, check out Glenelg and the Rundle St. Mall, as well as the
museums on North Tce. if you can.

Kal is an entity unto itself. IRRC, the IP is only there for a couple hours
so the tour is worthwhile. See if you can get in on a brothel tour (it's
clean, relatively speaking).

4. Any other tips?

Take a bottle on the train which you will be able to consume in the privacy
of your cabin if you keep it quiet. Weight limits on checked baggage as
well as the distinction between suitcases and boxes are strictly enforced
regardless of class (I had an esky full of junk and they insisted on
charging like a wounded bull - but as long as I wanted to carry it myself
and put it in my cabin that was fine, so I did)

Old June 26th, 2004, 07:24 AM
A Mate

One of the joys or touring in Australia is that taxes are always included
and no tipping is expected!!!

What the menu/brochure says is what you pay!!

om...

Old June 26th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Red Winestain

Thank you! Very useful tips.