In First Week, Registered Traveler Program Soars

Old June 28th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Fly Guy

Default In First Week, Registered Traveler Program Soars

http://www.wesh.com/news/4657097/detail.html

In First Week, Registered Traveler Program Soars
Nearly 2,000 Travelers Sign Up In Program's First Week
POSTED: 4:49 pm EDT June 27, 2005
UPDATED: 6:12 pm EDT June 27, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Nearly 2,000 people signed up for a new program to
speed customers through airport security during its first week.

Airport Fast Pass Promises Relief For Frequent Fliers

Those people hope that with a simple plastic card called Clear, they
will be able to avoid long lines at the airport, WESH 2 News reported.

Leonard Johnson and Hernando Ocampo are examples of frequent fliers
who hate to wait but have different feelings about the Clear
Registered Traveler card.

Mo Sign Up Online For Registered Traveler Program
http://www.flyclear.com/

"I can see where it's going to be of a great benefit," Johnson, a
Clear customer, said. "I know it will be to me."

To get a Clear card, customers must pay an $80 annual fee and provide
positive identification and a fingerprint or eye scan.
Pre-registration can be done online. Having your eye scanned or
fingerprint taken at a kiosk and providing identification only takes
about 20 minutes.

With the Clear card, customers with clean backgrounds can use a
special security lane at Orlando International Airport to avoid long
lines and secondary security checkpoints.

"The pat-down, the hand-wanding, that sort of thing. So, it will
exempt them from a secondary screening," said OIA Security Director
Brigitte Goersch.

Ocampo, who is a Clear customer, does not like the idea of a potential
terrorist bypassing more rigorous security.

"Like a normal person and get registered as a normal person, even with
the biometrics. So, we'll see how safe the system is," he said.

The company behind the system aims to prove that security breaches
cannot happen when the new security lane opens next month.
Old July 13th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Darryl

Fly Guy wrote:
http://www.wesh.com/news/4657097/detail.html

In First Week, Registered Traveler Program Soars
Nearly 2,000 Travelers Sign Up In Program's First Week
POSTED: 4:49 pm EDT June 27, 2005
UPDATED: 6:12 pm EDT June 27, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Nearly 2,000 people signed up for a new program to
speed customers through airport security during its first week.

snop
With the Clear card, customers with clean backgrounds can use a
special security lane at Orlando International Airport to avoid long
lines and secondary security checkpoints.

And with a forged Clear card, terrorists with a bag of guns can avoid
long lines and secondary security checkpoints.

It's sad when ideas that are inherently flawed (like missile defence
systems, among others) keep getting implemented, always to disastrous
results. ANY security clearance that bypasses existing security is in
and of itself a security flaw, no matter how difficult you make it to
counterfeit. Its value in avoiding security makes it worth attempting
to counterfeit; the fewer times it is counterfeited, the MORE VALUABLE
it becomes when successfully counterfeited.

I don't care if the person in the seat next to me is who they say they
are; I don't care how often they fly. I don't even care if they have a
long history of previous hijackings. I only care if they are carrying
weapons today, on my flight. All security precautions should
concentrate on that last item.

Any card that assumes that someone who hasn't carried weapons in the
past won't carry them in the future is a security hole.