Mom, baby booted from plane

Old July 18th, 2007, 05:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air
NotABushSupporter

Default Mom, baby booted from plane

Craig Welch wrote:

irwell wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:27:38 GMT, Craig Welch
wrote:

irwell wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 03:41:32 GMT, Craig Welch
wrote:

'Real world' situation? All of the stewardesses I know call
themselves stewardesses. That's as 'real world' as it gets.

When was the last time you ever took a flight?

Domestic? Last week.

International? Two months ago.

So, did you have professional Flight Attendants, or your bimboesque
stewardesses?

Professional Stewardesses.

Did you get a chance to ask them what union they belong to?

Union? Oh, do you mean a professional association, such as the The
British Airlines Stewards and Stewardesses Association?

No, alas, I didn't. Should I have?

I know a few people that belong to NAACP, but I don't hear them use the
term "Colored People".

Old July 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DaveM

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:19:04 -0700, NotABushSupporter wrote:

wrote:

'Real world' situation? All of the stewardesses I know call
themselves stewardesses. That's as 'real world' as it gets.

When was the last time you ever took a flight?

Domestic? Last week.

International? Two months ago.

So, did you have professional Flight Attendants, or your bimboesque
stewardesses?

Professional Stewardesses.

Did you get a chance to ask them what union they belong to?

Union? Oh, do you mean a professional association, such as the The
British Airlines Stewards and Stewardesses Association?

No, alas, I didn't. Should I have?

I know a few people that belong to NAACP, but I don't hear them use the
term "Colored People".

The bizarre thing about all this is that people still believe changing what
something's called makes a difference. It doesn't need an -ess on the end
for me to that flight attendants are female, in the same way I know nurses
are. 'Doctors', on the other hand, is a neutral term (to me) now, reflecting
the actuality of the situation. We make our assumptions on reality, not on
the words of description.

DaveM
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

wrote:

'Real world' situation? All of the stewardesses I know call themselves
stewardesses. That's as 'real world' as it gets.
When was the last time you ever took a flight?
Domestic? Last week.

International? Two months ago.
So, did you have professional Flight Attendants, or your bimboesque
stewardesses?
Professional Stewardesses.

Did you get a chance to ask them what union they belong to?

Union? Oh, do you mean a professional association, such as the The
British Airlines Stewards and Stewardesses Association?

No, alas, I didn't. Should I have?

Did you actually fly British Air?

Unions

Flight attendant unions were formed, beginning at United Airlines in
the 1940s, to negotiate improvements in pay, benefits and working
conditions.[1] Those unions would later challenge what they perceived
as sexist stereotypes and unfair work practices such as age limits,
size limits, limitations on marriage, and prohibition of pregnancy.
Many of these limitations have been lifted by judicial mandates. The
largest flight attendants union is the Association of Flight
Attendants, representing over 50,000 flight attendants at 22 airlines
within the United States.

In the United Kingdom, cabin crew can be represented by either Cabin
Crew '89, or the much larger and more powerful Transport and General
Workers Union.
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DaveM

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:23:03 GMT, John
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 07:02:57 +0100, DaveM
wrote:

The bizarre thing about all this is that people still believe changing what
something's called makes a difference. It doesn't need an -ess on the end
for me to that flight attendants are female, in the same way I know nurses
are. 'Doctors', on the other hand, is a neutral term (to me) now, reflecting
the actuality of the situation. We make our assumptions on reality, not on
the words of description.

Have you ever met a MALE flight attendant? Or a MALE nurse?

It depends on whether the capitalisation carries hidden meaning I've
certainly met the non-capitalised variety.

What's reality tell you then? That they are REALLY women?

You might want to check the meaning of "assumption".

DaveM
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Kenny McCormack

In article . com,
wrote:

Before you jump to conclusions, consider this:

In an age of terrorism after 9-11, every flight attendant is terrified
of hearing "Bye, bye plane!" from any passenger.

This has nothing to do with terrorism, and everything to do with the
climate of fear which is being encouraged by the US government
(and I'm not blaming Republicans or Democrats alone - I blame both
parties).

Gee. Ya think?
I think this is all pretty much established at this point.

The "no-fly" list, the ridiculous screening procedures, and the
over-reactions to any passenger who doesn't sit meekly in his or her
seat and accept gross derelictions of service (such as 4 hour waits on
the tarmac or 11-hour flight delays such as Ms. Penland had endured) -
they are all part and parcel of the continuing erosion of American
civil liberties.

Yup. It is killing the industry. Even in the good old days, flying was
a pain-in-the-neck, but generally worth it. Now, the edge (vs. driving
up to about 1500 miles and/or if there is an ocean involved) is
definitely slipping.

Old July 26th, 2007, 05:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
hp[_2_]

On Jul 15, 4:48 am, "Steven L." wrote:

Before you jump to conclusions, consider this:

In an age of terrorism after 9-11, every flight attendant is terrified
of hearing "Bye, bye plane!" from any passenger.

If someone had brought a pet parrot to the airport in a bird cage, and
as Flight 23 is boarding, the parrot starts squawking "Bomb on Flight
23! Bomb on Flight 23!" over and over, wouldn't YOU be nervous and want
that person questioned?

A baby saying "Bye, bye plane" and a parrot squawking "Bomb on flight"
are the same thing????

Haven't you heard a baby referring to traveling as "going bye bye"?