From Death valley to...Grand Canyon or Bryce Canyon?

Old July 25th, 2006, 04:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Libellula

Default From Death valley to...Grand Canyon or Bryce Canyon?

Hello,
I'm Libellula from Italy and in summer i'll have a tour of southwest usa.
On September2 i'll leave the Death Valley;usually people from DeathV
stops to Las Vegas but if i'll go to Las Vegas from Death Valley i'll be
there on saturday and it's not a cheap day to spend the night there. So
i have to decide where to go(and to sleep) if in Grand Canyon or if in
Bryce Canyon but i don't know which is the shortest and best
itinerary..could you help me?
Thank you!

Libellula.
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JN

If you haven't been to either places, or don't plan on being back then
go to the grand canyon, Flagstaff is a nice town a little south of the
GC, not sure how far from LV or Death Valley.

You can visit Sedona and see the red rock too if you stay in Flagstaff.

Old July 25th, 2006, 05:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

From Death Valley to the Grand Canyon (south rim) is around 8 hours of

driving.

I'm not sure about the time from Death Valley to the Grand Canyon's
north rim or to Bryce.

Jim

Old July 25th, 2006, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

The formatting came out wrong on the post I just made, and it looked
like I was quoting someone else. Actually the 8-hour estimate was mine.

Jim

Old July 25th, 2006, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Caveat

Libellula wrote:

I'm Libellula from Italy and in summer i'll have a tour of southwest usa.
On September2 i'll leave the Death Valley;usually people from DeathV
stops to Las Vegas but if i'll go to Las Vegas from Death Valley i'll be
there on saturday and it's not a cheap day to spend the night there. So
i have to decide where to go(and to sleep) if in Grand Canyon or if in
Bryce Canyon but i don't know which is the shortest and best
itinerary..could you help me?

Hello Libellula!

I assume you will be driving, and are free to go any route you wish
between Death Valley and Las Vegas. If so, I would suggest the route
that I have taken for many years between those two places:

From Death Valley take highway 190 southeast to Death Valley Junction.
Then turn right (south) on highway 127 and drive to Shoshone. There
turn left (east) on highway 178 and drive to Pahrump, Nevada. Turn
right there onto highway 160 and drive to Interstate 15 just south of
Las Vegas.

This is an all-paved, but desolate, route but will avoid the longer
more heavily trafficked roads. It will be very hot, so make sure your
car (especially the air conditioner) is capable of the trip, is full
of petrol when you start, and you should carry food and water.
Getting a very early start and checking the weather forecast and road
conditions (for thunderstorms and road washouts) is also advised.

Regarding the rest of the trip beyond Las Vegas, the route will depend
on which destination you choose: Grand Canyon (North or South Rim) or
Bryce. Unless you have advance reservations at any of these
destinations, however, the chances of finding lodging are slim. But
there are lots of other towns along the way to stay.

Unfortunately, I am leaving in the morning to go on vacation myself,
so won't be able to help you much longer here. But there are others in
this group who know the territory quite well.

Regards,

Caveat

P.S. We just LOVE Italy.

Old July 25th, 2006, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Libellula

hello,
I really don't know how to thank you;this is the last part (with date)
of my tour;
Leaving death valley sept 2 morning to spend the night in Bryce or Grand
Canyon(north or south rim i don't know..but,which is the best rim if you
stay just for one day?I think i would have a plain tour of Grand Canyon too)
On day sept3 if i'll be in Grand Canyon these are the remaining stops:
spend (where?) the night of sept.3 to go to:
Page (Lake Powell) -on sept.4-
Monument Valley -on sept.5-

OR IS IT BETTER to go first to Monument Valley and then to Page?

Bryce Canyon -on sept.6-
Las Vegas -on sept.7-

I hope you'll help me again.
Thank you again

Libellula

PS;thank you for loving Italy -I'm from Rome-

Old July 25th, 2006, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Caveat

Libellula wrote:

I really don't know how to thank you;this is the last part (with date)
of my tour;
Leaving death valley sept 2 morning to spend the night in Bryce or Grand
Canyon(north or south rim i don't know..but,which is the best rim if you
stay just for one day?I think i would have a plain tour of Grand Canyon too)

I would avoid any of the National parks in the area on that particular
long Labor Day weekend (Sept. 2-4) because that is one of the biggest
holiday periods in the US (like Venezia in August). These places will
be very crowded and the minimal lodging would be sold out far in
advance. But if you have no other choices, find lodging in other towns
(e.g. Flagstaff or Kanab -- but book in advance) then just do a day
tour of the parks.

On day sept3 if i'll be in Grand Canyon these are the remaining stops:
spend (where?) the night of sept.3 to go to:
Page (Lake Powell) -on sept.4-
Monument Valley -on sept.5-

OR IS IT BETTER to go first to Monument Valley and then to Page?

You can go from Grand Canyon (either rim) to Page, then on to Monument
Valley in one day. It isn't far. The connector road to look for is
highway 98 between Page and highway 160 (midway between Kayenta and
Tuba City).

Bryce Canyon -on sept.6-
Las Vegas -on sept.7-

That would be OK -- the crowds will be lighter then.

PS;thank you for loving Italy -I'm from Rome-

Been there several times, but two years ago spent the summer in the
L'Aquila-Pescara areas and the Lakes District. We especially liked
Verona, but Venezia was as crowded as ever (but still a must-see).

Ciao!

Caveat
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
george

Libellula wrote:
hello,
I really don't know how to thank you;this is the last part (with date)
of my tour;
Leaving death valley sept 2 morning to spend the night in Bryce or Grand
Canyon(north or south rim i don't know..but,which is the best rim if you
stay just for one day?I think i would have a plain tour of Grand Canyon too)
On day sept3 if i'll be in Grand Canyon these are the remaining stops:
spend (where?) the night of sept.3 to go to:
Page (Lake Powell) -on sept.4-
Monument Valley -on sept.5-

OR IS IT BETTER to go first to Monument Valley and then to Page?

Bryce Canyon -on sept.6-
Las Vegas -on sept.7-

It probably is best to visit the south rim. At Grand Canyon Village
you can take a tram to the west along the rim but cannot drive your own
car. You can drive the road to the east along the rim which has a fair
number of view points. Staying in the park will probably be impossible
at this late date. Tusayan just south of the park has motels, and an
airport from which planes can possibly overfly the canyon. You should
be able to observe both sunset and sunrise, many peoples' favorite
time.

Where to spend the night of Sept3? Depending on how much of the day
you spend in Grand Canyon NP, if most of the day Cameron just to the
east (nice trading post), or if you leave earlier Kayenta by Monument
Valley. It is better to visit Monument Valley first before Page as you
are not backtracking as much. When at Page visit the scenic slot
canyon, lower Antelope Canyon on the road just west of the power
station. It's very scenic and fun.

Again, at Bryce NP it probably is impossible at this late date to get a
room in the park. Rubys Inn is just outside of the park boundary.

Going to Las Vegas from Bryce, make sure to drive through Zion NP which
is not out of the way. A National Park seasonal pass might be cheaper
than individual park visit fees and would also allow you to visit Red
Rock Canyon just west of Las Vegas.

Depending on how long you visit each place, you could also possibly
squeeze in a visit to the north rim of Grand Canyon between Page and
Bryce.

George

Old July 25th, 2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Libellula

Caveat ha scritto:
Libellula wrote:

I really don't know how to thank you;this is the last part (with date)
of my tour;
Leaving death valley sept 2 morning to spend the night in Bryce or Grand
Canyon(north or south rim i don't know..but,which is the best rim if you
stay just for one day?I think i would have a plain tour of Grand Canyon too)

I would avoid any of the National parks in the area on that particular
long Labor Day weekend (Sept. 2-4) because that is one of the biggest
holiday periods in the US (like Venezia in August). These places will
be very crowded and the minimal lodging would be sold out far in
advance. But if you have no other choices, find lodging in other towns
(e.g. Flagstaff or Kanab -- but book in advance) then just do a day
tour of the parks.

I have no choice
On day sept3 if i'll be in Grand Canyon these are the remaining stops:
spend (where?) the night of sept.3 to go to:
Page (Lake Powell) -on sept.4-
Monument Valley -on sept.5-

OR IS IT BETTER to go first to Monument Valley and then to Page?

You can go from Grand Canyon (either rim) to Page, then on to Monument
Valley in one day. It isn't far. The connector road to look for is
highway 98 between Page and highway 160 (midway between Kayenta and
Tuba City).

I think that i'll spend one whole day (from spt3 morning to sept3
afternoon)in grand canyon;but considering that on sept.4 i have to be in
the MonumentValley,where can i sleep in the way between Grand Canyon and
Monument Valley?
I know that Page is closer to Grand Canyon (south Rim),so if i'll leave
GCanynon in late afternoon i think that i could be possible to stay in
PAge for the night (of sept.3);on sept.4 visit Antelope Canyon and on
sept.4 night be at the Monument Valley;on sept5 visit Monument Valley
and go to Bryce where i'll sleep;on sept6 visit Bryce and then go to
Zion where i'll sleep;on sept7 quickly visit to Zion and in the
afternoon be in Las Vegas.
This is a new itinerary;i think that is possible -even if Monument
valley is "more far" from Grand Canyon-invert Page with Monument Valley

Ciao e grazie di cuore a tutti!
Libellula.
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Caveat

Libellula wrote:
Caveat ha scritto:
Libellula wrote:
I really don't know how to thank you;this is the last part (with date)
of my tour;
Leaving death valley sept 2 morning to spend the night in Bryce or Grand
Canyon(north or south rim i don't know..but,which is the best rim if you
stay just for one day?I think i would have a plain tour of Grand Canyon too)

I would avoid any of the National parks in the area on that particular
long Labor Day weekend (Sept. 2-4) because that is one of the biggest
holiday periods in the US (like Venezia in August). These places will
be very crowded and the minimal lodging would be sold out far in
advance. But if you have no other choices, find lodging in other towns
(e.g. Flagstaff or Kanab -- but book in advance) then just do a day
tour of the parks.

I have no choice

OK, then I suggest driving the route I outlined for Sept 2 from Death
Valley via Pahrump to I-15, but then bypass Las Vegas by going *south*
on I-15 for 10 kilometers to the highway 148 exit, then take that
turnoff to Henderson, then past Boulder on highway 93 over Hoover Dam
to Kingman, Arizona. Then east on I-40 to Williams and the highway
64/180 road to Grand Canyon. I would book lodging in advance in either
Tusayan, Williams, or Flagstaff if you intend to see the South Rim of
the Grand Canyon on Sept. 3 as outlined below. If you get a National
Parks pass as you enter Grand Canyon N.P. you will save money because
you'll be going through two more Parks -- at Bryce and Zion.

I think that i'll spend one whole day (from spt3 morning to sept3
afternoon)in grand canyon;but considering that on sept.4 i have to be in
the MonumentValley,where can i sleep in the way between Grand Canyon and
Monument Valley? I know that Page is closer to Grand Canyon (south Rim),so if i'll leave
G Canynon in late afternoon i think that i could be possible to stay in
Page for the night (of sept.3);

Yes, that schedule will work fine. Page is the place to book lodging
the night of Sept 3, but do it well in advance because Page does fill
up on busy weekends with boaters. The remaining options are all on the
Navajo Indian Reservation in small towns that you may not like. When
leaving page, take the highway 98 to highway 160, then to Kayenta..

on sept.4 visit Antelope Canyon and on
sept.4 night be at the Monument Valley
on sept5 visit Monument Valley and go to Bryce where i'll sleep;

To get to Bryce I would go north through Monument Valley on highway
163 through Mexican Hat, then take the road 261 turnoff up the
spectacular Moki Dugway (dirt for a three miles, but OK) then take
highway 95 to Hanksville. Then take highway 24 through Capitol Reef
N.P. to Torrey. Then go south on highway 12 over Boulder Mountain,
through Escalante, and on to Bryce. If you don't have confirmed
lodging at Bryce (or Ruby's Inn) on Sept 5, try Boulder, Escalante,
Cannonville, or Tropic as alternatives (these are all small Mormon
town with limited visitor facilities).

on sept6 visit Bryce and then go to
Zion where i'll sleep;on sept7 quickly visit to Zion and in the
afternoon be in Las Vegas.

The East Entrance into Zion on highway 9 from Mt. Carmel Junction is
a wonderful trip, then you can continue on highway 9 to I-15, and
south to Las Vegas.

Ciao e grazie di cuore a tutti!

My pleasure. Have a wonderful trip.

Caveat