Connecticut

Old July 14th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Claire

Default Connecticut

I am travelling to Connecticut in a few weeks and I will be staying at
Bridgeport. Apart from New York (where I will spend most of my time), can
you suggest any place worth visiting in the area of Bridgeport, New Heaven,
etc??
Thanks....

Old July 14th, 2004, 01:08 PM
B Vaughan

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:14:52 +0300, "Claire"
wrote:

I am travelling to Connecticut in a few weeks and I will be staying at
Bridgeport. Apart from New York (where I will spend most of my time), can
you suggest any place worth visiting in the area of Bridgeport, New Heaven,
etc??

Some people call it New Hell.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:33 AM

Bridgeport and New Haven aren't the prettiest places in the world. Still,
the Yale campus in New Haven is interesting for the gothic architecture.
New Haven also has good theater and music, and plenty of good food.
Bridgeport is right next to Norwalk, and there's a good maritime museum in
Norwalk, complete with an Imax if you end up with a rainy day. Bridgeport
and New Haven harbors leave much to be desired, but the coast from Norwalk
down to New York is worth exploring. There's also a ferry from Bridgeport
to Port Jefferson on Long Island, which is a neat town if you like looking
at antiques. If you just want to spend an easy day away from the city,
that's a good bet. The ferry isn't expensive, and it's about an hour each
way. You can walk in Pt. Jeff, it's very compact.

If it interests you, the shoreline between Stamford and New York is some of
the highest priced real estate in the world. Westport, Darien, Cos-Cob,
Greenwich - you won't be disappointed. It's home to the likes of Michael
Milken, Donald Trump, Martha Stewart, Paul Newman, Keith Richards ... ad
infinitum. The towns have nothing to offer to a tourist, but if you have a
car you can drive through some of the neighborhoods just to see what they're
like.

One other thought. East of New Haven (just a few miles) are the Thimble
Islands in Branford. There are several small tour boats that will take you
out for a few dollars, and I always thought it was time well spent. They're
just like they sound, islands not much bigger than thimbles, many just big
enough to support a single house, and many others uninhabited. They're
close to each other, which is what makes it interesting. We've been
kayaking there, which is really the way to go. There may well be a place to
rent kayaks, too, but the little tour boats have narration and they're fun
too. On the way back to Bridgeport you could stop at Wooster Sq in New
Haven for fantastic pizza at Pepe's or Sally's.

Old July 15th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Jon Bell

In article ,
Claire wrote:
[...]any place worth visiting in the area of Bridgeport, New Heaven,
etc??

If you're at all interested in this sort of thing, there's a trolley
museum at East Haven (the Shore Line Trolley Museum) that offers rides on
restored trolley cars, over their own electrified track.

http://www.bera.org/main.html

As a trolley buff myself, I've been wanting to go there for years, but
haven't managed to work it into one of my trips yet. It's the oldest
operating trolley museum in the U.S.

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College

Old July 15th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Bill Pittman

In article ,
"Claire" wrote:

I am travelling to Connecticut in a few weeks and I will be staying at
Bridgeport. Apart from New York (where I will spend most of my time), can
you suggest any place worth visiting in the area of Bridgeport, New Heaven,
etc??

New Heaven ISN'T!

But that aside, I recommend you visit the Shore Line Trolley Museum in
East Heaven (!).

--
Bill Pittman; change for e-mail as indicated
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Bill Pittman

In article ,
(Jon Bell) wrote:

In article ,
Claire wrote:
[...]any place worth visiting in the area of Bridgeport, New Heaven,
etc??

If you're at all interested in this sort of thing, there's a trolley
museum at East Haven (the Shore Line Trolley Museum) that offers rides on
restored trolley cars, over their own electrified track.

http://www.bera.org/main.html

As a trolley buff myself, I've been wanting to go there for years, but
haven't managed to work it into one of my trips yet. It's the oldest
operating trolley museum in the U.S.

YES! I was a volunteer motorman there for several years. GREAT place.

--
Bill Pittman; change for e-mail as indicated