thieves in polish trains

Old December 26th, 2003, 10:35 AM
David Croll

Default thieves in polish trains

hi,

i plan to travel through eastern europa this year. i began to read the
interesting chapters in the lonely planet guide, and there was a severe
warning about thieves in polish trains. is somebody here who can give me
some help? do i have to worry myself?

regards, david

Old December 27th, 2003, 01:21 PM
eleoni

Hi,

I live in east Poland and I must admit that thieves pose problem. It is
not so that people travelling by train have to worry themselves
nevertheless they have to be careful. I'll try to give you a piece of
advice to help you to understand this. Thieves work usually in groups.
At least two or more men (not always strong and young). They travel by
night trains and look for asleep people. If they saw that everyone in
particular compartment is sleeping they try to take something from such
compartment. This is the most frequent scenario of
robbery. So thieves try to do it quietly without any scream. But I think
it doesn't apply to sleeping cars which are lockable. I've never seen
thieves stealing in train by force. Good word to describe them is
pickpocket or something like that. The second most typical scenario of
robbery is when many people get on to the train or get off the train but
it is the same all over the world and not only in trains but in all
kinds of public transport.

I a nutshell I think you don't have to worry yourself. By night, if you
will be travelling alone I suggest to take sleeping car, but in group it
is not necessary unless nobody is on the alert.

I wish you good time in Poland. I recommend you to vist Krakow and
Gdansk. If you like walking in the mountains visit Bieszczady. If you
like beauty of nature I recommend lakes and rivers in north-east part of
Ponad in region called Mazury (kayaks and boats are cheap and
impressions are amazing).

Best regards,