Freestyle tipping question

Old March 7th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Jaime A. Cruz

Default Freestyle tipping question

(Note to Chrissy: I know about Google, thanks)

Out of curiosity, how does one tip on a "Freestyle" type cruise? On
Celebrity, we have the same wait-staff every day, so it's easy at the
end of the week to take care of them. On a Freestyle cruise, however,
you're going to dine at any number of restaurants at any time so you're
going to have (conceivably) a new person at every meal. How does this
work? It's something I've never seen discussed here (or I'm using the
wrong search words)...

--
Jaime A. Cruz
Secretary
Old March 7th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 15:55:38 GMT, "Jaime A. Cruz"
wrote:

Out of curiosity, how does one tip on a "Freestyle" type cruise?

Hi Jaime,

Have no fear, NCL has this all figured out for you. g They will add
the gratuity charge to your account automatically. Of course, you are
free to raise or lower the amount as you see fit. The gratuities will
be pooled and distributed to the crew that serves you by NCL.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old March 7th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Tom & Linda

I simply goes on your on-board account, and gets distributed to all the
crew. You don't know who your waiter is from night to night... so they just
pay everyone from all the tips collected.

If your cabin steward was great, you can give him/her a few buck extra. You
won't be able to do that with waiters however, unless you tipped them a few
bucks on the particular night they served you.

--Tom

et...

Old March 7th, 2004, 04:49 PM
HDawson228

With Freestyle or Personal Choice the pooling of tips is probably the most
equitable and fair since generally you won't have the same wait staff.
However, I do think that it reduces the incentive to give outstanding service
when it's seen as automatic.
Old March 7th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Jaime A. Cruz

wrote:

Out of curiosity, how does one tip on a "Freestyle" type cruise?

Hi Jaime,

Have no fear, NCL has this all figured out for you. g They will add
the gratuity charge to your account automatically. Of course, you are
free to raise or lower the amount as you see fit. The gratuities will
be pooled and distributed to the crew that serves you by NCL.

Thanks Ray, Tom and Linda. Makes sense, I guess! Like those
restaurants on land that pool all the tips and distribute it to the
entire staff at the end of the night.

Old March 7th, 2004, 04:55 PM
ArleneG

Have no fear, NCL has this all figured out for you. g They will add
the gratuity charge to your account automatically. Of course, you are
free to raise or lower the amount as you see fit. The gratuities will
be pooled and distributed to the crew that serves you by NCL.

Even on a one night cruise to nowhere?

Old March 7th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Juliana L Holm

For what it is worth, you do have the same cabin steward the whole week. We
gave the steward and assistant a small additional tip ($20 each) at the
end of the week. Put it in evelopes, then gave it to them sayting that we
knew that tips were paid out of our account, but we wanted them to personally
have a ; little extra. I don't know if they have to pool that, but
I'm not worrying about that.
--
Julie
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:22 PM
RICK DAVIS

Julie, Very good point you made. If you want to tip anyone for "extra
great" service do they have to report that and pool it or can they keep
it?

Old March 8th, 2004, 05:06 AM

They charge your tips before you get any service (good or bad) ! If you
don't like it get in line .

BILL