How can I meet other travelers?

Old November 6th, 2003, 09:05 AM
John Dierks

Default How can I meet other travelers?

I'm looking to do a round-the-world trip sometime in 2004 or 2005, and would
like to share the experience with someone else. None of my friends are
travelers.

I've been backpacking around Europe for two summers now, and it's
frustrating experiencing so many great things by myself. I feel like there's
so much in my head that I can't really share with anyone.

I'm looking for a way to meet other people who are looking to backpack in
the places I am. I don't what I'm looking for to tell the truth. Just don't
want to go alone again.

Help.

Old November 6th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Miguel Cruz

John Dierks wrote:
I'm looking to do a round-the-world trip sometime in 2004 or 2005, and would
like to share the experience with someone else. None of my friends are
travelers.

I've been backpacking around Europe for two summers now, and it's
frustrating experiencing so many great things by myself. I feel like there's
so much in my head that I can't really share with anyone.

Do you stay in hostels when you travel?

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 6th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Captain Flack

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 01:05:54 -0800, "John Dierks"
wrote:

I'm looking to do a round-the-world trip sometime in 2004 or 2005, and would
like to share the experience with someone else. None of my friends are
travelers.

I've been backpacking around Europe for two summers now, and it's
frustrating experiencing so many great things by myself. I feel like there's
so much in my head that I can't really share with anyone.

I'm looking for a way to meet other people who are looking to backpack in
the places I am. I don't what I'm looking for to tell the truth. Just don't
want to go alone again.

Stay in hostels. You can even arrange these on the web so at least
you'll have a room for the first night or two. Book a dorm room and
you'll be sharing with others, many of whom will also be lone
travellers. 99% of travellers are cool easy going sociable people, so
you'll have a great time even if you head off on your own.

--

Popular uprising?
http://www.blairfacedlies.org/statue.htm

captain(underscore)flack(squirlything)hotmail(you know what)com
Old November 6th, 2003, 04:01 PM
John Dierks

Yeah, I always stay in hostels, but I find that the relationships I develop
at them are 'single serving friendships.' The people are really cool, but
it's difficult to have anything more than casual friendships. I've met some
great people, but I'm looking to meet people I can actually travel with,
instead of meeting people while I'm traveling.

"Captain Flack" wrote in
message ...

Old November 6th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Turby

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:01:52 -0800, "John Dierks"
wrote:

Yeah, I always stay in hostels, but I find that the relationships I develop
at them are 'single serving friendships.' The people are really cool, but
it's difficult to have anything more than casual friendships. I've met some
great people, but I'm looking to meet people I can actually travel with,
instead of meeting people while I'm traveling.

I find solo travel _much_ more rewarding. When I travel with a
partner, I find myself insulated from the world around me. I talk to
my partner, rather than a local. Going solo, you are forced to
interact more with the local environment. I think you lose a lot of
the benefits of travel going in a group.

Old November 7th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Michael Christoffersen

wrote:

Yeah, I always stay in hostels, but I find that the relationships I

develop
at them are 'single serving friendships.' The people are really cool, but
it's difficult to have anything more than casual friendships. I've met

some
great people, but I'm looking to meet people I can actually travel with,
instead of meeting people while I'm traveling.

I find solo travel _much_ more rewarding. When I travel with a
partner, I find myself insulated from the world around me. I talk to
my partner, rather than a local. Going solo, you are forced to
interact more with the local environment. I think you lose a lot of
the benefits of travel going in a group.

You do have a point there. However, I have found that most independent
travellers dont travel in groups but in pairs.
And travelling with a partner makes the trip cheaper (sharing rooms, bikes,
motorcycles, boats whatever) safer - should be obvious - and more
entertaining if you ask me, especially if you dont know the local lingo of
the area you are travelling or dont have a common language with the locals.
I used to go alone all the time but am rather fed up with that now. What is
the fun of seing some great sights when you have nobody to share them with?
Well, different people different strokes I guess

Concerning meeting fellow travellers, I guess a good place to start would be
to make a few posts at the LP Thorn Tree.

Cheers
Michael Christoffersen

Old November 7th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Eric Edwards

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 07:41:57 +0100, Michael Christoffersen wrote:
I used to go alone all the time but am rather fed up with that now. What is
the fun of seing some great sights when you have nobody to share them with?

Take pictures. Email your travelogues. I travel alone but, on the last
trip, I shared with more than 30 people.

--
Use the From: header. Sending mail to
or
Old November 23rd, 2003, 09:21 AM
Dee

I totally understand the frustration and fear of traveling alone. I
personally consider myself pretty laid back and independent but as of
recently I have found myself extremely uptight and fearful of what my
next trip will be like being that I am going alone.

I am going to England to travel and work to afford the travel. I will
be working in a pub and taking the weekends or days off to go back pack
but I find I am not excited to do so. Its all about being with someone
to enjoy it with. Being alone sucks and meeting people at the hostels
doesnt always work out. Usually its just someone to talk with while
there or someone to get a beer with not someone to actually take a
train to lets say Italy with. Doesnt work that way and if it does its
purely because Lady luck was involved.

I too would love to know how to meet a person or person (s) to travel
with.

Cheers,
Dee

--
Dee

"I'm a fountain of blood
In the shape of a girl
You're the bird on the brim
Hypnotised by the Whirl"
-Bjork

Dee's Profile: 49
View this thread: 53438

Old November 25th, 2003, 09:40 AM
wim vanhengel

Hey john,

The only thing i can think about is to post as much messages as
possible on websites like this. Traveling allone is not always easy
he. On the other hand im sure it is not very difficult to find while
you are traveling people who have the same ideas you can travel
together with for a time. As I think you speak dutch, you could go to
the site of NOMADE boekhandel in Leuven.
vissit the SPOORZOEKER. May be a help.

www.nomade.be

Good luck.
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:00 PM
A_Culling_Song

Don't worry about it Dee, just remain laid back. I did the same thing a
few summers ago and it was great. Check into a hostel for a few days to get
your feet on the ground and it's a great way to meet people. Also, check
Travel Cuts or something similar for web postings of other people going and
doing the same thing.

I did that, and when I got there....on the first day, I met about 15 people
at a pub...none of who knew each other.

Also, getting a job at a larger more central pub (I worked at The Three
Greyhounds in SOHO and The Maple Leaf in Covent Gardens) will make sure you
are around more people in the same mindset as you..

hope that helps! have a great time.

lullaby.

news