children sail "free"? (port charges only)

Old February 5th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Barbara Warner

Default children sail "free"? (port charges only)

Hello all,
I'm a former rtc addict who has returned to the group after a long
hiatus. I haven't cruised since Feburary 2002 (sob!), and am trying to
convince my husband that we should find a way to cruise again, soon.
One of the differences now is that we've got twin girls, aged 14 months,
so we're looking for a cruiseline which charges port only for children
under 2 years.
So far we've had our travel agent check specific sailings and on one, a
HAL cruise to NEw England I believe, HAL wanted to charge regular 3rd
andf 4th person rates for the babes. Another, a terrific Celebrity
Horizon 12 nt sailing in the Caribbean, was better - but still about 50%
of the adult price.
ANyone have any suggestions? No, we don't want a debate as to whether
we should sail with our children, just some information on which lines
or ships to keep an eye out for!
--Barbara

Old February 5th, 2004, 01:38 AM
RCM

Although I am not too fond of Costa cruises, they seem to be the only
cruiseline I have noticed to advertise kids cruise free deals.

Old February 5th, 2004, 02:32 AM
D Ball

Barbara Warner wrote:
Hello all,
I'm a former rtc addict who has returned to the group after a long
hiatus. I haven't cruised since Feburary 2002 (sob!), and am trying to
convince my husband that we should find a way to cruise again, soon.
One of the differences now is that we've got twin girls, aged 14 months,

so we're looking for a cruiseline which charges port only for children
under 2 years.

Barbara,

I think Cruise Mates does an excellent job overviewing all issues facing
family cruisers. Try the index page he
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/family/ IIRC, there will be one article
that summarizes each cruise line's treatment of kid pax. I am thinking that
NCL actually has the best deal for the wee ones, but I could be wrong. Check
it out.

Hope you get back to cruising again! It's a great family vacation....

Diana Ball
Near Houston, TX
http://www.dianaball.net

Next up: Celebrity Millennium – Med – June 04
RCI Mariner – E Carib – Holidays 03
RCI Serenade – Transatlantic – Maiden 08/04/03
Star Princess – Mex Riviera – Holidays 02
Dawn Princess – Alaska – July 02
NCL Star – Hawaii – June 02
RCI Rhapsody – W Carib – Holidays 01 (back-to-back)
RCI Explorer – E Carib – Holidays 00
NCL Sea – W Carib – Holidays 99
Old February 5th, 2004, 02:42 AM
RayC

Barbara Warner wrote:
[...]

I don't want this to sound nasty in any way, but why should
the kids go free?

After all, they eat, use the facilities, bathe will need to
have their room cleaned, may take part in a kids program,
etc. Doesn't all that cost the cruise ship money.

I think that a 50% deal is very good!

Just curious.

--

Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Old February 5th, 2004, 03:30 AM
clint

Thanks, now I know what cruise line to avoid!
et...

Old February 5th, 2004, 03:34 AM
OcnGypZ

Subject: children sail "free"? (port charges only)

It has nothing to do with the cruiseline... it has to do with supply and
demand.

I'd suggest taking a look at Sept/Oct for the Caribbean.....it's a very slow
period.. and all sorts of promotions are typically available.

Please understand that in order to take part in the children's programs....
tiny tykes need to be 3 (ie potty trained) on most cruiselines. Some lines
offer in cabin babysitting (for a fee) which should be arranged as soon as one
boards.

Babette
Old February 5th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Dick Goldhaber

RTFM, Ray, the kids are 14 months old.

At that age they are lucky if they have teeth and you are worrying about how
many steaks and lobster tails they will consume.

If the kids can sleep in the same facilities which are provided for their
parents IMHO they should cruise free.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

ABB

Old February 5th, 2004, 10:36 AM
fishman

"RayC" wrote in message
I don't want this to sound nasty in any way, but why should
the kids go free?

Because for a child to go, a full-paying adult (or two) must go - when sales
are slow, that puts bodies on the ship.

Chris