Toilets in China

Old November 18th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Alfred Molon

Default Toilets in China

There is currently an international toilet conference going on in China
and I heard pretty scary things about the toilets. I assume that most
hotels have decent toilets, but what about the restaurants and other
places a tourist might visit ?
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest and Portugal
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Miguel Cruz

Alfred Molon wrote:
There is currently an international toilet conference going on in China
and I heard pretty scary things about the toilets. I assume that most
hotels have decent toilets, but what about the restaurants and other
places a tourist might visit ?

Heh, heh, heh.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Miguel Cruz says...
Alfred Molon wrote:
There is currently an international toilet conference going on in China
and I heard pretty scary things about the toilets. I assume that most
hotels have decent toilets, but what about the restaurants and other
places a tourist might visit ?

Heh, heh, heh.

So... what kind of toilets did you find ?

Old November 18th, 2004, 10:06 PM
R@L

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
There is currently an international toilet conference going on in China
and I heard pretty scary things about the toilets. I assume that most
hotels have decent toilets, but what about the restaurants and other
places a tourist might visit ?
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest and Portugal

You don't want to know.

Ronald

Old November 18th, 2004, 10:06 PM
rascal

I'm going to China next May and have read up on the toilet issue. They vary
from a hole in ground to a western style toilet. The more the establishment
caters to western tourists, the more likely it is NOT to be a hole in the
ground. However, be forewarned, you will probably encounter a hole or two.
Take your own toilet paper when you venture out just to be safe.

Old November 18th, 2004, 10:23 PM

*/ There is currently an international toilet conference going on in
China... /*
So... what kind of toilets did you find ?
--

Alfred Molon

Hole in the ground out in the sticks & western toilets in 4/5 star hotels &
restaurants.

Old November 19th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:19:49 +0100, the renowned Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Miguel Cruz says...
Alfred Molon wrote:
There is currently an international toilet conference going on in China
and I heard pretty scary things about the toilets. I assume that most
hotels have decent toilets, but what about the restaurants and other
places a tourist might visit ?

Heh, heh, heh.

So... what kind of toilets did you find ?

In the countryside (bus stop)... a hole in the ground with all the
effluent flowing from a trough out back into the field. Be sure to put
your TP in the basket, not in the hole. Another time, a 4" high pile
of semi-solid solid waste in the train washroom, behind the hole. Must
be especially challenging for gals in long skirts. I don't even want
to think about boiler suits. Most washrooms are okay, but once in a
while you get one out of _Trainspotting_ (minus the throne).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:21 AM
jimstitfall

Toilet notes from my last trip - sleeper bus Guilin to Nanning.
(1)Two comfort stops on the way down provided access to less than impressive
toilets. One was adjacent to a pig pen, it was too dark to see for sure
where I should be standing but the smell and the noise of the pigs led me to
wait for another opportunity. On any bus trip in this part of the world
substantial shoes are advisable.
(2) At one comfort stop a Canadian Male and I were first to reach the toilet
block. On leaving I observed two giggling girls outside and all the other
males leaving from a different area. We were in the women's toilet so I can
give you a first hand account of the facilities. The whole area was tiled
and clean. The cubicle walls were shoulder high and there were no doors. The
toilet was a tiled open drain going the length of all the cubicles. There
were no seats or flushing system in the cubicles.
Jim

Old November 19th, 2004, 10:58 AM

One was adjacent to a pig pen, it was too dark to see for sure
where I should be standing but the smell and the noise of the pigs led me

wait for another opportunity. On any bus trip in this part of the world
substantial shoes are advisable.

Good advice about the shoes... the pig pen story is true, one unfortunate
traveller practically ran out of the toilet with his trousers between his
ankles as a pig shove it's head up the hole. But this is only out in the
country. Some toilets you'll find a bucket of water or a tap or hose. If not
look around outside the toilet or ask. Use this to wash down the toilet
before & after. My advice, as a tourist & foreigner, make use of your status
as a 'guest' & ask if you can use a private toilet if you desperately need
to go. Or else, just walk into any hotel or restaurant & use their toilet.
Remember to say thanks after. As for western style toilets, you'd sometimes
see footprints on the seats(some locals still prefer to squat) & i've even
encountered a broken toilet after someone was squating on it. But don't let
horror stories like these put you off.... & yes, buy your own toilet
paper/tissues when you get a chance.

Old November 19th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Mtwhitney62

In Bejing I noticed signs on the lamp posts pointing to the nearest public
toilet; I wished they had that in New York City!