Electricity Question

Old September 24th, 2007, 05:08 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Janet Wilder

Default Electricity Question

kangaroo16 wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 00:00:39 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote in

Think you would be surprised at just how scenic is. It also has
the advantage of a much better climate than Toronto. I've lived
in areas of the US with a fair bit of snow in winter, but
personally don't care if I ever see any snow again. :-)

Just about anywhere, IMHO, has a better climate than Toronto! From what
I've read the climate in Australia is similar to our southwest. I would
be perfectly happy to only see snow on the top of a mountain while I am
standing in the valley below in a tee shirt and shorts.

A bit more on Sydney Tower, although haven't been up it
for years:. There used to be an opal shop which had some
beautiful black opal on display. AFIK, only Australia has black
opal, and a solid chunk can be worth more weight by weight than
diamonds. I don't know if the shop is still there, but if so,
might be worth a quick look.

I didn't see anything about the shop, but did find a coupon for a free
meal at the Sky Lounge with the purchase of another meal. Printed that
one! I also printed the map, schedule and info for the Explore bus. It
has lots of discounts for museums and attractions. We can get a pass to
get on and off all day for one fee.
http://www.sydneypass.info/sydneyexplorer/

Depending upon how we survive our flight, we might tour on that bus our
first day. We get into Sydney at around 6 AM. We have to clear customs
and be taken to our hotel. If we have slept well on the plane, we'll
sightsee. If not, we'll sleep. If we decide to do some touring after the
cruise, I'm afraid we'll have to do it with the cruise excursion people
as we will have loads of luggage to cart around and they handle all of
that and get us to the airport. We will not be able to drag the luggage
around town ourselves.

About 25 years
ago the Australian Gov't others started the ‘Slip!, Slop!,
Slap!’ campaign 25 years ago. [Slip on a shirt, slop on
sunscreen, slap on a hat.]

I just love it when ad agencies go public service. We have a seat belt
one that goes: "click it or ticket"

I was the last of my friends to give up my 35mm camera.

Might consider one. How is the image quality compared to 35mm
film though? Must admit haven't checked it out. Never very
interested in prints, used 35mm Ektachrome for slides. First
suggestion: If a tourist wants accurate color rendition, slides
are almost always a better way to go, despite the inconvenience
of displaying them.

I take photos at their highest resolution. The quality is awesome. I do
8.5 x 11 inch prints from my photos. Newer cameras have more megapixels
than mine. I have only 3.2, but still get good prints, if I want prints.
It was a choice between optical zoom and megapixels and the zoom was
more important to me.

Mostly I clean up my photos with a little touch of Adobe and put them on
CDs. Then we play them on the TV for captive audiences. The prints go
into calendars I make for our family as holiday gifts. Each family gives
me their own dates of importance (like in-law birthdays) and each one is
custom made. The photos are from our travels during the year and the
last page is our holiday letter to them.

Second suggestion: If have a film negative that produces a poor
print and it is important to you, have the negative
professionally processed so they can spend more time on getting
the best possible print out of it.

I can do that myself with the digital pictures and Adobe Elements.
That's the beauty of digital. You can also scan prints or negatives into
your computer and use software to manipulate them. I did that with my
35mm prints. All of them have been digitized. There are some stores that
develop film right onto CDs. Before I had my own scanner, I had my film
developed at K-Mart or Walgreen's right onto disks.

Seventh: Most tourists like to take a lot of photos, and they
want them to come out well. If take a photo in your yard at home
and it doesn't come out well can always take another photo.
Coming back to Australia to reshoot a photo.

I can see the photos right away. I don't have to wait for them to be
developed. If something is very important to me, I'll look at it in the
camera and if it's not good, I'll delete it and shoot again. I always
take at least 3 shots of the same thing at different zoom settings.

Have spent a bit of time in Western deserts, actually. They were
in walking distance of a town I spent some years in. I still
think you will see some striking new flowers here though.

I hope to! I love "picking" flowers with my camera.

Early settlers brought in foxes and rabbits for hunting purposes,
and at one time Australia had huge rabbit plagues.

Wasn't it Australia that had the Rabbit-Proof Fence? I saw a wonderfully
touching movie on TV with that title a few years ago.

If I were to travel by ship again, even a large
cruise liner, would ensure a supply of tablets for seasickness.

I don't get seasick. If DH does it's the first day on open water. The
ship's physician doles them out to passengers.

Thanks for the heads up on the octopi.

Actually, the poisonous jellyfish can be a greater hazard if
swimming or snorkeling on an unpatrolled beach.

We have deadly jellyfish here, too. We have to be mindful at the beach
along the Gulf of Mexico certain times of the year. I will pack my water
shoes.

One important area I haven't mentioned yet is that of travel
insurance.

We have already purchased travel insurance through the travel agent. We
always buy it. It keeps the Evil Eye away. We also have a domestic
insurance plan called SkyMed that will pick up where the travel
insurance leaves off. The travel insurance will only repatriate us to
the nearest place, in this case the west coast. SkyMed will get us back
home to our own facilities. It will cover both the sick person and the
traveling companion. It will, Heaven forbid, return remains, too.
http://www.skymed.com/

At least information on given links might give realists
some questions to ask their G.P. if they see anything
of possible concern.

DH is doing the rounds of his doctors last week and next week. I'm
seeing mine next week and I'll also visit the dentist. I have a letter
from my surgeon so I can carry my fluoride gel on the plane as I will
have to treat my teeth on the long flight. (I had some nasty radiation
last year and have to do all kinds of things to keep my teeth from
falling out of my head) He has an insulin pump so he will be taking
spare syringes and insulin in case there is a problem with the pump. I
carry the glucose tablets, gel and have just learned to use a glucogon
needle which I am hoping I won't ever have to do. We old people have to
learn to deal with out maladies. g

In the section on restricted mobility discussing deep vein
thrombosis, I notice that they don't mention elastic stockings or
firm pantyhose, but I understand that many adult air travelers
use them these days.

I will ask the physician about it. It may be more of a problem for him
as his circulation isn't that great to begin with. We do face a long
plane ride.

As the old saying goes, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound
of cure."

You are so right!

Thanks again for all of your travel tips and information.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:15 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 01:37:25 GMT, kangaroo16
wrote:

I have heard claims here that Queensland once had a cattle
station ("ranch") that had a greater area than the state of Texas
before it was broken up before WW1. To be fair, though, have
never bothered to verify this.:-)

Probably true, but I don't know the history. Could have been
Kidman's original holdings, they've got much smaller since
his death:
http://www.kidman.com.au/our_land_holdings.htm

The biggest cattle station these days is sort of small -
Texas is 7 1/2 times bigger (but it's bigger than Belgium:-)

http://www.wrightsair.com.au/anna.htm

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:08:52 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote in
:

kangaroo16 wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 00:00:39 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote in

Think you would be surprised at just how scenic is. It also has
the advantage of a much better climate than Toronto. I've lived
in areas of the US with a fair bit of snow in winter, but
personally don't care if I ever see any snow again. :-)

Just about anywhere, IMHO, has a better climate than Toronto! From what
I've read the climate in Australia is similar to our southwest.

It depends a lot on how you define "similar" and "southwest":-)
A world map might be a better guide, actually. Looking at Gulf &
Caribbean lands map in my old printed set of Encyclopedia
Britannica. First thing I notice is that no part of continental
US extends as far south of the Tropic of Cancer at 23 degrees
6 minutes North Latitude, or 23°6' N pretty close to _Ciudad
Victoria_ in Mexico.

Brownsville Texas is north of this at 22° 55' N 97°30' W and
this is about as close to the equator as a western US city
manages. The Florida keys get closer, with Key West at 24°31 N
81°47 W. which is the southernmost point of the continental U.S.

The Tropic of Capricorn comes close to the Northern margin of
Cuba. Havana Cuba is Latitude: 23° 08' North Longitude:
82° 23' West so is closer to the equator.

As Australia is south of the equator, our equivalent to the
Tropic of Capricorn is the Tropic of Cancer which is 23°6' south.
It passes through Rockhampton, Queensland so could expect it to
be similar to Havana.

If want a warmer temperature, go further north. Darwin, Northern
Territory is Latitude:12° 23' South Longitude: 130° 44' East.
The actual northern boundary off Cape York Peninsula in Qld.would
be in the Torres Strait Islands would be at about 10° south.

Climate wise 10° South Latitude would be roughly equivalent to
10° Degree North Latitude. If we go back to the Northern
Hemisphere, this line would pass very close to San Jose, Coasta
Rica Bar and through Barquisimeto, Venezuela.

So you would have to go down to South America to get a climate
equal to Darwin.

Getting back to Australia, you could go south from Rockhampton
seeking cooler weather.
Brisbane, Queensland 27° 30' S
Sydney NSW 33° 55' S
Melbourne, Victoria Latitude: 37° 52' S
Hobart, Tasmania 42° 50'S

North American Latitude rough equivalents:

Brisbane = West Palm Beach, Florida
Sydney = Los Angeles, Calif.
Melbourne = Fresno, Calif
Hobart = Chicago, Ill

....So I think you can count on being warmer
here. Now 4:16 PM Monday September 24

At 4:00 temp 77 °F / 25 °C
Clear, Wind 15 mph / 24 km/h / 6.7 m/s from the
NE
http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/94767.html

be perfectly happy to only see snow on the top of a mountain while I am
standing in the valley below in a tee shirt and shorts.

You are unlikely to see any on your visit here...:-)

[...]

Much like our random road breath tests. One ad warning of these
uses "If over 0.05, you are under arrest."

I was the last of my friends to give up my 35mm camera.

Might consider one. How is the image quality compared to 35mm
film though? Must admit haven't checked it out. Never very
interested in prints, used 35mm Ektachrome for slides. First
suggestion: If a tourist wants accurate color rendition, slides
are almost always a better way to go, despite the inconvenience
of displaying them.

I take photos at their highest resolution. The quality is awesome. I do
8.5 x 11 inch prints from my photos. Newer cameras have more megapixels
than mine. I have only 3.2, but still get good prints, if I want prints.
It was a choice between optical zoom and megapixels and the zoom was
more important to me.

Sounds interesting, might get one. I note that higher megapixel
ones getting cheaper. However, I would actually rather have a
sensor installable on film plane of existing camera. I like to
have control over shutter speed, f stops, & focus. :-)

Mostly I clean up my photos with a little touch of Adobe and put them on
CDs. Then we play them on the TV for captive audiences. The prints go
into calendars I make for our family as holiday gifts. Each family gives
me their own dates of importance (like in-law birthdays) and each one is
custom made. The photos are from our travels during the year and the
last page is our holiday letter to them.

I have the cheaper Jasc Paint Shop Pro. Very interesting what
can do with image editors, isn't it? Probably why most courts
now won't accept still photos as evidence.

Second suggestion: If have a film negative that produces a poor
print and it is important to you, have the negative
professionally processed so they can spend more time on getting
the best possible print out of it.

I can do that myself with the digital pictures and Adobe Elements.
That's the beauty of digital. You can also scan prints or negatives into
your computer and use software to manipulate them. I did that with my
35mm prints. All of them have been digitized. There are some stores that
develop film right onto CDs. Before I had my own scanner, I had my film
developed at K-Mart or Walgreen's right onto disks.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Probably would have retained more
interest in photography if hadn't discovered the magic of
computers and the net.

Makes one lazy, though. Have a lot of books, wanted to quote
from one of them. Started to get up to look for it, but found it
was much quicker and much easier just to find the info on the
net.

Seventh: Most tourists like to take a lot of photos, and they
want them to come out well. If take a photo in your yard at home
and it doesn't come out well can always take another photo.
Coming back to Australia to reshoot a photo.

I can see the photos right away. I don't have to wait for them to be
developed. If something is very important to me, I'll look at it in the
camera and if it's not good, I'll delete it and shoot again. I always
take at least 3 shots of the same thing at different zoom settings.

Have spent a bit of time in Western deserts, actually. They were
in walking distance of a town I spent some years in. I still
think you will see some striking new flowers here though.

I hope to! I love "picking" flowers with my camera.

You are coming at the right time, then. Spring &.or summer.
Seasons not as marked here as in the US. Just a gradual sine
curve between winter and summer.

Early settlers brought in foxes and rabbits for hunting purposes,
and at one time Australia had huge rabbit plagues.

Wasn't it Australia that had the Rabbit-Proof Fence? I saw a wonderfully
touching movie on TV with that title a few years ago.

Yep, still the longest fence in the world as far as I know.

If I were to travel by ship again, even a large
cruise liner, would ensure a supply of tablets for seasickness.

I don't get seasick. If DH does it's the first day on open water. The
ship's physician doles them out to passengers.

Thanks for the heads up on the octopi.

Actually, the poisonous jellyfish can be a greater hazard if
swimming or snorkeling on an unpatrolled beach.

We have deadly jellyfish here, too. We have to be mindful at the beach
along the Gulf of Mexico certain times of the year. I will pack my water
shoes.

Unfortunately ours are smaller and more deadly. :-(

See:

Worldwide deaths and severe envenomation from jellyfish stings
http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/...ner/fenner.htm
-------------
http://www.avru.org/general/general_animals.html

(for index, but as far as irikundi are concerned
http://www.avru.org/general/general_irukandji.html
As to size:
"It is a small jellyfish (around 2cm diameter bell)
responsible for an unusual and dramatic syndrome observed
following stings."

2 cm = 0.75 inches, so we aren't talking a large jellyfish
like the Portuguese Man of War here. :-)

ARVU is an interesting site, can look up info on all sorts of
toxic critters.

However, all this should be kept in perspective. Personally, my
wife and I consider it a much safer place than the US, or we
wouldn't be here.

Both here and in the U.S. there are many more people at risk
from an allergenic [anaphylactic] reaction to ordinary bee
or wasp stings.

Haven't checked it out, but it has been claimed that in the
WW2 Pacific campaign far more military personell were killed
by falling coconuts than by snakebite.

The last terrorist incident on Australian soil was decades ago,
we have never had a Prime Minister assassinated, and so on.

The hazards here are well known to locals, and most Australians
know enough to swim between the flags on a patrolled beach, and
most don't take the chance of swimming on a non-patrolled beach.

In Sydney, sharks aren't the main hazard, but rip currents
which frequently change. However, if a shark alarm is sounded,
getting out of the water is a good idea!

If one drives highway one between Sydney and Cairns will see
many miles of beaches with clean sparkling white sand with
no one on them. There are reasons for this. :-)

IMHO, Australia is one of the safest places in the world if
one uses common sense.

Is the blue-ringed octopus a major hazard or even a minor
hazard? Nope, not if you don't mess with it.

From memory, only 4 recorded deaths worldwide, but
will take a quick look.

-------------
Quote:
"He said there had been four confirmed deaths from blue
ringed octopus worldwide, two in Australia, one in Singapore and
one in Okinawa, Japan.

In all cases, the victims had pulled the octopus from the water
and were handling them. "
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...006786,00.html

-----------------
What I'm getting at here is that Americans know most of the
hazards in the US, such as car hijackings in certain areas, but
an Australian visitor might not. A friend of a friend was in Los
Angeles rented a bicycle and rode it through the Watts district
in Los Angeles, where lone L.A. police cars didn't go into the
area.

No, no one bothered him, but I wouldn't do it. :-)

I would maintain that the greatest hazard to human beings are
other human beings, not poisonous plants or animals.

Of course, when we go bush, we don't stick our hands into hollow
logs, carry a pressure bandage snakebite kit, have
2 Way radio and/or mobile phone, etc.

The last time was in Cairns, if drove inland for about 15 miles
there was a big sign that said something like "Warning: Do not
proceed beyond this point without adequate food, water, petrol,
oil, tools & essential spare parts."

Realists heed such warnings, optimists often don't. The chances
of running into trouble in a guided tour are very remote,
especially if the tourist obeys advice, warning signs, and uses
common sense.

Of course, a bit of research can save the tourist a lot of
problems. If you saw a pretty cone shell washed up on a beach
would you pick it up? Not a good idea unless you are sure that
the occupant is dead, or you are careful how you handle it.

http://www.avru.org/general/general_cones.html

If I was coming to Australia for the first time, and dealing with
a travel agent or tour group I would expect to be advised of
possible hazards.

If I was an Australian visiting the USA for the first time
I would expect the same warnings. For example, in some
parts of the U.S. car hijackings can be a problem, and
tourists in rental cars are a desirable target. A few years
ago the Australian Gov't website for tourists warned
visitors to drive with the windows up and the doors locked.

Not on current warnings list, though. For current warnings, see:
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...tes_of_America

[...]

True! Airport security is pretty high these days, and a recent
news report dealt with a traveler from Europe who had his
hypodermics and insulin confiscated when he boarded. Made
it to Australia OK, but was pretty sick when arrived.

If carrying any prescription drugs, have copies of prescription,
letter from your doctor.

I hear that airlines are very fussy about anything that could be
used as a weapon, including fingernail files, nail scissors, etc.

In the section on restricted mobility discussing deep vein
thrombosis, I notice that they don't mention elastic stockings or
firm pantyhose, but I understand that many adult air travelers
use them these days.

I will ask the physician about it. It may be more of a problem for him
as his circulation isn't that great to begin with. We do face a long
plane ride.

As the old saying goes, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound
of cure."

You are so right!

Thanks again for all of your travel tips and information.

Thank you! I am sometimes criticized for giving advice
about possible hazards. When I came to Australia there
wasn't a lot of such info that was easily available.

I've been here for decades now, though, sometimes
in very remote areas where the nearest doctor was
hours away by air, and never had any problems with
wildlife, police, criminals, and so on.

Again, I feel that Australia is a far safer place than the
USA for travelers or tourists.

Last night watched a new T.V. series on the Royal Flying
Doctor Service. Highly recommend it on the off chance it
is available there.

Advice here may be different than offered there, as in snakebite
treatment.

Bush fires can be a hazard here, and current advice is for those
caught in their vehicle to stay in their cars and shield from
radiant heat. Some fear that the vehicle will explode, but
tests show very little chance of this, and being on foot is much
more hazardous.

How to shield from radiant heat inside a vehicle reminds me of
one of the most useful items I've always carried in my travels,
which is a Fischer Space Blanket.

You probably know of the "space blanket". The one used for
first aid and rescue use, which is a thin plastic sheet with
an aluminum vapor deposited coating on it. This is also known as
a "rescue blanket" and is single use.

The more useful one is the foil blanket, a thin layer of nylon
net, and a more rugged colored plastic layer. Sewn at
edges, has grommets.

Seriously, this is one item I wouldn't travel without. Wrap
around yourself and is not only rain and windproof, but
the shiny side reflects body heat back and keeps you almost
as warm as a good sleeping bag. Shiny side up, and makes
an excellent shade, as reflect suns heat back much better than
canvas, etc. I used to carry one in a shoulder bag with
camera inside it.

From a sheer survival point of view, reflective surface makes it
usable for signaling. If in a small boat, rigged in the proper
shape, it acts as a radar reflector making a small boat appear
much larger to search aircraft.

Anyway, better close. Some things to do today.

Cheers,
Kangaroo16
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:04 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Janet Wilder

kangaroo16 wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:08:52 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote in

I've read the climate in Australia is similar to our southwest.

Brownsville Texas is north of this at 22° 55' N 97°30' W and
this is about as close to the equator as a western US city
manages. The Florida keys get closer, with Key West at 24°31 N
81°47 W. which is the southernmost point of the continental U.S.

I live less than 20 miles up-river from Brownsville, Texas

You are coming at the right time, then. Spring &.or summer.
Seasons not as marked here as in the US. Just a gradual sine
curve between winter and summer.

Thank you. we were hoping for good weather. Where we live we only have
two seasons: warm and hot, so I can well understand what you state.

Early settlers brought in foxes and rabbits for hunting purposes,
and at one time Australia had huge rabbit plagues.

Wasn't it Australia that had the Rabbit-Proof Fence? I saw a wonderfully
touching movie on TV with that title a few years ago.

Yep, still the longest fence in the world as far as I know.

Our government is trying to fence our border with Mexico. Their proposed
plan is stupid. They want to put concrete-heavy fences on top of levees
that are barely standing themselves.

If I was coming to Australia for the first time, and dealing with
a travel agent or tour group I would expect to be advised of
possible hazards.

We have been warned in print about the need for hats and sunscreen. I'm
sure that when we get to Ayers Rock there will be additional warnings
and when we get to Port Douglas, as well.

If I was an Australian visiting the USA for the first time
I would expect the same warnings.

That's hard to do as there are vast differences in the various parts of
the country.

Airport security is pretty high these days, and a recent
news report dealt with a traveler from Europe who had his
hypodermics and insulin confiscated when he boarded. Made
it to Australia OK, but was pretty sick when arrived.

I have photocopied the specific page from the TSA regarding insulin and
hypodermics, etc. According to the web site, Diabetics can bring those
items on the plane without a note. I bowl with a fellow who works at our
local airport (deemed "International" because of a few flights to Mexico
which is actually closer to us than most US cities) for Homeland
Security and he told me that if we ever have any problems with security
because of the Diabetes and its equipment to ask for the screening
supervisor.

If carrying any prescription drugs, have copies of prescription,
letter from your doctor.

Why? As long as the prescription is on the bottle, there should not be a
problem.

I hear that airlines are very fussy about anything that could be
used as a weapon, including fingernail files, nail scissors, etc.

They have recently revised their rules to permit small scissors.
Evidently the needleworkers' groups got nasty. g

Again, I feel that Australia is a far safer place than the
USA for travelers or tourists.

We traveled extensively throughout North America when we lived in our
recreational vehicle and knew enough to stay away from places and
practices that invited trouble. The US is not that unsafe.

How to shield from radiant heat inside a vehicle reminds me of
one of the most useful items I've always carried in my travels,
which is a Fischer Space Blanket.

I used to have one in my car when we lived up north. I also had
reflective foil sheets that I put under the regular bed sheets so I
could save money on heating the house at night. It enabled us to turn
the thermostat down quite low. I fed the kids beans and they kept
themselves warm all night.

Thanks again for all of your help,

Janet
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:10 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
MI

kangaroo16 wrote:
[...]

ago the Australian Gov't others started the ŚSlip!, Slop!,
Slap!ą campaign 25 years ago. [Slip on a shirt, slop on
[...]

From memory, only 4 recorded deaths worldwide, but
will take a quick look.

-------------
[...]

From a sheer survival point of view, reflective surface makes it
usable for signaling. If in a small boat, rigged in the proper
shape, it acts as a radar reflector making a small boat appear
much larger to search aircraft.

Anyway, better close. Some things to do today.

Cheers,
Kangaroo16

You've hot your 'Tropics' backward. Cancer--- Northern hemisphere;
Capricorn---Southern hemisphere. It's easy to remember: Cancer---Canada,
Capricorn---Cape of Good Hope. That's the way I learned in school and it
never fails.

Martha AT2 Canada

Old September 25th, 2007, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
MI

snipo
I have photocopied the specific page from the TSA regarding insulin and
hypodermics, etc. According to the web site, Diabetics can bring those
items on the plane without a note. I bowl with a fellow who works at our
local airport (deemed "International" because of a few flights to Mexico
which is actually closer to us than most US cities) for Homeland
Security and he told me that if we ever have any problems with security
because of the Diabetes and its equipment to ask for the screening
supervisor.

sn9ip

Janet

Janet, I suggest you look at the Travel Section of Diabetes Australia
www.diabetesaustralia.com.au. You will find that Australia has different
rules. I have just checked this out as I am arriving in Australia in the
middle October. Their rules are stricter than the TSA.

Martha T2 Canada

Old September 25th, 2007, 03:32 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:04:10 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

If carrying any prescription drugs, have copies of prescription,
letter from your doctor.

Why? As long as the prescription is on the bottle, there should not be a
problem.

This one is worth doing, Janet. You are quite correct,
logically and legally. But in my experience TSA staff and
logic are not always compatible. It is extremely unlikely
that you'll need it - but in the event that you do it could
be the thing that stops a tiny detail becoming a major
hassle.

I know I've said this before, but in my experience TSA staff
are recruited for the size of their muscles. Particularly
the one between their ears.

It cost me very little to draft a letter for my doctor's
signature and to carry a current prescription for my meds.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:35 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:10:12 GMT, MI
wrote:

You've hot your 'Tropics' backward. Cancer--- Northern hemisphere;
Capricorn---Southern hemisphere. It's easy to remember: Cancer---Canada,
Capricorn---Cape of Good Hope. That's the way I learned in school and it
never fails.

Martha AT2 Canada

Capricorn has an "r" in it. So does Rockhampton, an Aussie
city on the tropic line.

How I remembered it as a kid.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:22 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

kangaroo16 wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:08:52 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote in

I've read the climate in Australia is similar to our southwest.

Brownsville Texas is north of this at 22° 55' N 97°30' W and
this is about as close to the equator as a western US city
manages. The Florida keys get closer, with Key West at 24°31 N
81°47 W. which is the southernmost point of the continental U.S.

I live less than 20 miles up-river from Brownsville, Texas

In that case, perhaps a bit further from the equator!:-)
I didn't know your location, or hadn't noticed if you had
mentioned it, but turned out to be a good guess for climate
comparison, no?:-)

You are coming at the right time, then. Spring &.or summer.
Seasons not as marked here as in the US. Just a gradual sine
curve between winter and summer.

Thank you. we were hoping for good weather. Where we live we only have
two seasons: warm and hot, so I can well understand what you state.

Should have considered that you lived in the extreme south of
Texas, where wouldn't get any snow. Northern Texas gets a bit,
from memory.

Early settlers brought in foxes and rabbits for hunting purposes,
and at one time Australia had huge rabbit plagues.
Wasn't it Australia that had the Rabbit-Proof Fence? I saw a wonderfully
touching movie on TV with that title a few years ago.

Yep, still the longest fence in the world as far as I know.

Our government is trying to fence our border with Mexico. Their proposed
plan is stupid. They want to put concrete-heavy fences on top of levees
that are barely standing themselves.

Have they decided to do that? Had heard that it was being
considered. Agree that it probably isn't all that practical.

Power substations are usually pretty well fenced in here. Roughly
9 foot high cyclone fence topped with three strands barbed wire
facing out at 45 deg angle.

Yet several years ago a 13 year old mentally handicapped
boy managed to climb the fence, wiggle under the barbed wire,
explored the substation.

I don't remember the details offhand, but was probably a
secondary transmission station, 132 kilovolt - 66 kv, or perhaps
a high voltage distribution substation ranging from 23 Kv to 11
Kv.

Although, since 1 Kv= 1000 volts, it really doesn't make much
practical difference if get between any high voltage of
sufficient amperage and earth.

Not necessarily "one flash and you are ash" but usually
non-survivable.

There was a bit of public outcry at the time, letters to the
editor and so on.

Demands that the substations have "childproof" fences, as
if there was any such thing!

Others argued for guard patrols? Not that this all that
practical either. From a security point of view, would need at
least two guards to patrol the perimeter for 8 hours a shift,
which would mean 6 guards per substation per day. Which
wouldn't be cheap!

Even this wouldn't be good enough to guarantee that no one would
climb the fence, unless the guards were armed and to shoot, if
necessary, to prevent anyone from climbing the fence.

--- And if they did, there would be even more outcry if a kid was
shot rather than be electrocuted.

From my point of view, this would apply to a border fence as
well. If one or more people want to penetrate it they presumably
will have more skill than a low I.Q. 13 year old would.

Sure, could back it up with machine gun teams, but in that case,
why bother with a fence? All that would be needed is a machine
gun team, all of whom would be willing to kill men, women and
children who might breach a fence or cross an invisible line
marking the border.

If I was coming to Australia for the first time, and dealing with
a travel agent or tour group I would expect to be advised of
possible hazards.

We have been warned in print about the need for hats and sunscreen. I'm
sure that when we get to Ayers Rock there will be additional warnings
and when we get to Port Douglas, as well.

Very likely, not that either location is very hazardous. I
suspect that the main danger around "Uluru" or "Ayers Rock" would
be a coronary by a tourist choosing to climb it.

See (for example)
Ayers Rock closure could cripple tourism
May 15, 2001 Posted: 10:30 PM EDT (0230 GMT)
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/a...uru/index.html

If I was an Australian visiting the USA for the first time
I would expect the same warnings.

That's hard to do as there are vast differences in the various parts of
the country.

True, but the same would apply here. :-)

Airport security is pretty high these days, and a recent
news report dealt with a traveler from Europe who had his
hypodermics and insulin confiscated when he boarded. Made
it to Australia OK, but was pretty sick when arrived.

I have photocopied the specific page from the TSA regarding insulin and
hypodermics, etc. According to the web site, Diabetics can bring those
items on the plane without a note. I bowl with a fellow who works at our
local airport (deemed "International" because of a few flights to Mexico
which is actually closer to us than most US cities) for Homeland
Security and he told me that if we ever have any problems with security
because of the Diabetes and its equipment to ask for the screening
supervisor.

Excellent! If our posts motivate diabetic to do such a check,
our mutual efforts may be read and noted by other diabetic
tourists!

To me, such exchanges are what "Usenet" is, ideally, all about.
The free exchange of information.

Some diabetic tourist may not have realized that there could be a
problem. You have found there might be, either on your own, or
as a result of my post. Probably the former. Doesn't matter, as
anyone who bothers to read our posts will learn enough to remind
him to check further.

If carrying any prescription drugs, have copies of prescription,
letter from your doctor.

Why? As long as the prescription is on the bottle, there should not be a
problem.

A couple of reasons, although am sure that others could suggest
more.
1/ If want to renew the prescription for any medication in
Australia, you can probably do it if have the original
prescription, or perhaps just a copy of same. You would be
unlikely to be able to do it just by presenting the original
labeled container. The letter from the doctor is just an
additional precaution.

2/ A few years ago, a lot of counterfeit US$ 50 bills were
circulating on the black market. The US countered this by
changing the details on a US $50 bill.

From memory, the first counterfeit bill to get into circulation
about a half an hour later. Some teenager with good equipment
scanned and printed it out, left it on his desk.

His uncle saw it, picked it up, went to the local liquor store
and tried to buy some booze with it. Wasn't printed on proper
paper, of course, but it caused a rather large "flap" when the
store owner checked it.

From my point of view, the uncle wouldn't have even tried to pass
it if he didn't think it a genuine $50 bill.

Now it would be much easier to forge a prescription label on a
bottle than a passable $50 bill.

.....Yeah, before you or others object, the same could be said of
a copy or even an original prescription, letter from doctor, and
so on. However, have to stop somewhere, and the latter are more
reliable than just a labeled bottle.

This relates to an earlier post about "cashability" of travelers
cheques [or "checks"].

If you were a store clerk would you cash a theoretical T.C. based
on "The Kangaroo Bank on the North Side of Sydney Harbour" and
signed by "Kangaroo 16" and countersigned by a hypothetical
"Platypus 11"? :-)

No matter if it was denominated in A$ or US$?

Hell, a few years ago a clerk in a large chain of stores here
refused to accept a perfectly valid American Express travel
check. [or "cheque" as it is called here.]

He or she should have, of course, but there are some
potential difficulties.

Firstly, the cheque might not be genuine. Secondly, if it is,
is it denominated in A$, not US$, as the rate frequently
changes. These days, perhaps minute by minute. Thirdly, the
clerk is going to be held responsible for any shortfall.

Which is why I have recommended that all tourists use an
international credit card such as "Mastercard" or "Visa" or a
debit card such as "American Express".

As not all retail stores, let alone smaller businesses or
individuals at "garage sales" or "yard sales" will accept either
"credit" or "debt" cards or even "genuine US currency" would
advise tourists to have enough genuine Australian currency
to buy something with no hassles. :-)

I hear that airlines are very fussy about anything that could be
used as a weapon, including fingernail files, nail scissors, etc.

They have recently revised their rules to permit small scissors.
Evidently the needleworkers' groups got nasty. g

Getting careless are they? Were I an Australian airport security
guard I wouldn't accept "knitting needles" or even "rolled up
newspapers" ...No, I won't say why.

Again, I feel that Australia is a far safer place than the
USA for travelers or tourists.

We traveled extensively throughout North America when we lived in our
recreational vehicle and knew enough to stay away from places and
practices that invited trouble. The US is not that unsafe.

In general? I don't mean to imply or infer that it is. ...But,
in general, in my experience, having grown up there and lived
there, I still consider Australia much safer.

How to shield from radiant heat inside a vehicle reminds me of
one of the most useful items I've always carried in my travels,
which is a Fischer Space Blanket.

I used to have one in my car when we lived up north. I also had
reflective foil sheets that I put under the regular bed sheets so I
could save money on heating the house at night. It enabled us to turn
the thermostat down quite low. I fed the kids beans and they kept
themselves warm all night.

Hadn't thought of that one, actually. Then again, don't have or
want kids.

Kathmandu, Nepal, gets pretty cold in winter, but I was warm
enough inside a "space blanket" if can get used to the "crinkly"
sound when one moves. :-)

Thanks again for all of your help,

Janet

Again, no problem, and many thanks for your support.

I think that I can safely evaluate you as a "fellow realist" :-)

I cheerfully admit that enjoy corresponding with you. From your
replies so far, you seem to have your plans well in hand, and
probably don't need much, or any, of my advice.

Your replies demonstrate that you are a very sensible individual.
I, for one, really look forward to any posts from you.

At present, or as time permits. You strike me as an extremely
sensible individual.

We are probably one of the older correspondents on the group.

Old enough to correspond on some subjects anyway, and discuss
subjects that perhaps other members of the group find somewhat
"uncomfortable".

(Shrug) Oh well, as the old saying goes "Too old, too soon ...and
too late smart." :-)

A quick search yields the following:

-------
Pennsylvania Dutch Proverbs and sayings

I am amazed by the number of proverbs and sayings that are
produced by cultures over time. My grandmother was Pennsylvania
Dutch and her house was covered with plaques of the
German-English sayings she (and later I) grew up with. Below are
the "best of the best" sayings I heard or read as a child.

Throw the cow over the fence some hay.
A big wife and a big barn never did any man harm.
We get too soon old and too late smart.

http://americanfolklore.blogspot.com...5_archive.html

At the moment, won't worry about worrying about the exact German
equivalent.

To get a bit more personal, we may be in roughly the same age
group. You have personally had children and grandchildren by
choice, my wife and haven't, by choice.

The world is rapidly changing, IMHO anyway. Perhaps for the
better, perhaps for the worse.

Will welcome any communication from you on the group, but
seriously I don't want to intrude on your time and on planning
for your trip.

Sure, if you have any free time between now and when you leave,
am sure that all of us will benefit from it.

If you don't, then we will have to wait until you get back, won't
we? :-)

In the meantime, while you are visiting the amazing land of
Australia, I may find enough comments on this group to keep me
amused.

If not, will monitor it, and comment on other groups. However,
when you return with your impressions of Australia, rest assured
that I will notice your comments on your return to the USA.

Some members of this group have criticised me for telling the
truth, although many haven't.

Am sure that all will be interested in your impressions of
Australia when you return to USA.

Naturally, I will be interested to find out if I have, in your
opinion, have inadvertently given any "misinformation".

I think I understand why you are going to be avoiding computers
on your holiday, but I also think that you could let us know when
you get to Australia safely.

I, for one, would appreciate at least a brief message to the
group when you arrive safely.

After that, I for one, will be content to wait until you get back
home.

Not that I think you won't arrive safely, or think that you will
have any problems whatsoever here, but I think it safe to say
that the group would welcome any posts from you while on the trip
and when you return.

I would still urge you to keep a "daily diary" on the whole trip,
however you do it.

I actually have a written diary from my departure from the USA,
although must admit I didn't keep it up every day from my arrival
here.

Had more interesting things to do, I guess.

Ah well, as the old quote goes "The road to Hell is paved by good
intentions". :-)

Regards,
Kangaroo 16

Old September 25th, 2007, 05:32 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

wrote:

You've hot your 'Tropics' backward. Cancer--- Northern hemisphere;
Capricorn---Southern hemisphere. It's easy to remember: Cancer---Canada,
Capricorn---Cape of Good Hope. That's the way I learned in school and it
never fails.

Martha AT2 Canada

Capricorn has an "r" in it. So does Rockhampton, an Aussie
city on the tropic line.

How I remembered it as a kid.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Oops, sorry about that. I don't always proofread posts. After
all, anyone interested in details should allow for that when
their first check parameters.

Still a fault on my part. I apologize for same.

Cheers,