Advice on Rio De Janeiro?

Old October 10th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Brett

Default Advice on Rio De Janeiro?

I'm planning a trip to Rio De Janeiro around mid December 2004. The hotel
I'm planning to stay in (California Othon Classic) is in front of Copacabana
Beach. I'd like suggestions for (with cost in mind):
- getting around city
- best way to get from airport to hotel
- best way to get to Corcovado
- places I shoudn't go because of safety
- general advice on safety
- advantages/disadvantages of going this time of year
- anything else

Thanks,
Brett

Old October 10th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Martin Berg

The last time I have been there was November 03, my comments you find below.

Regards
Martin

"Brett" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I'm planning a trip to Rio De Janeiro around mid December 2004. The hotel
I'm planning to stay in (California Othon Classic) is in front of
Copacabana

several times I stayed at Hotel Debret (http://www.debret.com/), clean,
friendly and safe, oceanfront Copacabana.
Beach. I'd like suggestions for (with cost in mind):

- getting around city

get the Rio edition of "Lonely Planet" guide, also for safety issues etc.

- best way to get from airport to hotel

the hotel can arrange pickup from airport (approx. 30-35 US-$)

- best way to get to Corcovado

take the subway (new station in front of Hotel Debret might be ready now) to
Botafogo, then take a taxi to Corcovado.

Old October 10th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Yaofeng

"Brett" wrote in message ...
I'm planning a trip to Rio De Janeiro around mid December 2004. The hotel
I'm planning to stay in (California Othon Classic) is in front of Copacabana
Beach. I'd like suggestions for (with cost in mind):

The last time we went to Brazil was X'mas 2002 so things may have
changed a bit. The exchange rate then was R3.65 to $1. I see it is
now R2.8 to $1. It's not as good but your dollar still pack some
punch. In 1997 when I first went to Brazil, the exchange rate was
like R1 to $1.1.

- getting around city

We have five people, the entire family. Although the taxi driver
would not mind us cramming in it is still not the best solution. We
end up taking the Metro and bus most of the time. Remember the Metro
does not run on Sundays. Bus is cheap, R1.30 a ride. It is by far
the most popular mode of transportation of Cariocas. We bought a very
detailed bus route guide for R26 at a bus stop. "Ruas Rio de Janeiro"
is 1 inch thick (in Portugese). It has complete bus and Metro routing
and 190 pages of city map.

- best way to get from airport to hotel

Taxi is likely the only mode of transportation from Galeao. Do
bargain with the taxi driver. BUt if you plan to fly to other cities
in Brazil, domestic flights are served in Santos Dumont. It is inside
the city, severd by public transportation.

- best way to get to Corcovado

We took the bus from Copa with a transfer at Botafogo. And the the
trolley, naturally.

- places I shoudn't go because of safety

Maybe we were lucky. I thought Rio safe in general despite people
said otherwise. We went to the zoo, by bus, where there is a favela
nearby. We went to Maracanal, the famous football stadium also by
bus, where it is not considered a safe area. My advise is be yourself
and be alert. People are friendly and willing to help. None of us
speak a word Portugese except "Obrigado".

- general advice on safety
- advantages/disadvantages of going this time of year

We love being in Rio during X'mas. It's summer in Brazil. The day is
long. The weather is hot. Good to get away from the frigid north.

- anything else

Do not drive in Rio. Traffic is a nightmare. Plus everyone thinks he
owns the road behind the wheel.

Thanks,
Brett

Old October 10th, 2004, 05:22 PM
JohnM

In article , Brett writes
I'm planning a trip to Rio De Janeiro around mid December 2004. The hotel
I'm planning to stay in (California Othon Classic) is in front of Copacabana
Beach.

If I may say, the Othon is the most dangerous spot in Copa. The area is
not nice and attracts many hustlers and prostitutes. There is a
notorious disco by the hotel with a lot of problems.

I always recommend that people stay in Ipanema.

I'd like suggestions for (with cost in mind):
- getting around city

Any bus that runs down Copacabana will take you to the bottom of the
metro. Taxis are also inexpensive.

- best way to get from airport to hotel

Taxi - you can book it INSIDE the airport and pay there.

- best way to get to Corcovado
- places I shoudn't go because of safety

Avenida Atlantica at night, and any place on a hill. The area around the
rail and coach stations. A notorious troublespot is the area around
hotel Othon.

- general advice on safety
- advantages/disadvantages of going this time of year
- anything else

Yes, go to the Palace in Catete and the Botanical Gardens which are
neglected by tourists but very, very interesting.

--
JohnM
Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul &

Old October 10th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Mark T. Evert

"Brett" wrote in message
I'm planning a trip to Rio De Janeiro around mid December 2004. The hotel
I'm planning to stay in (California Othon Classic) is in front of
Copacabana

Not familiar with it.....the Hotel Debret was very nice and very reasonably
priced....pay a little extra for the oceanview room.
Beach. I'd like suggestions for (with cost in mind):
- getting around city

The hotel will arrange for taxis......if you are sightseeing ask the hotel
clerk.....they can probably arrange a tour at a very reasonable price.

Old October 12th, 2004, 06:31 PM
VP

Change: http://fr.finance.yahoo.com/m5?a=1&s=USD&t=BRL&c=0

Taxi is NOT the only mode of transportation from Galeao.Use the "frescŕo"
(REAL bus company)
Airport- Novo rio (bus sation)- Santos Dumont- Zona sul (Copa,etc...)
the chippest & very confortable (Price:max 2 USD)

For me LAPA is the best place (night) + hotel MONTE ALEGRE & Itacoatiara
Beach (day),Jardin botanico,Alta boa vista,Corcovado

Food: If you don't speak Portugues ,go to the restaurants" Comida ao
Kilo"for avoid any bad surprise

Have a good trip...até a prossima Vlat

Old October 17th, 2004, 06:02 PM
elliot

We were there in April 04...
Re safety, I am always apprehensive and careful there...for good reason.
Had a young man put his hand in my pocket and try to pull my wallet
out...my fault for being stupid about my wallet...he wasnt successful.
Had a kid try to pull my watch off unsuccessfully.

I think I got the best deals from "Gate One"
air and hotel combined. check the internet.

We go to Rio for the life style so Copacabana is the place we enjoy, we
are just very careful.

I only use taxis I dont feel safe with public transportation.