Quebec/Montreal vacation recommendation requested

Old April 26th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Susan

Default Quebec/Montreal vacation recommendation requested

My husband, son, mother-in-law and I go away for a week each summer,
and we are looking for a new place for this year's trip. We are
considering the Quebec City or Montreal area. I'm hoping if I briefly
outline our criteria, some of you could make a recommendation or two.

Our son will be approximately 18 months this year, so a house makes
more sense than a hotel. We prefer homes to condos for reasons of
space and privacy, which I find often dictates the sorts of
neighborhoods that are appropriate for our choices. Generally, we
want a nice home in a scenic (even rural) area, but within easy
driving distance (3 hours or less) from a major airport, and within a
short drive of other sights for daytrips. We're escaping Washington
DC heat, so while we like it sunny and warm, hot isn't necessary. We
like a mixture of relaxing around the house and some sightseeing, but
we're definitely into relaxing, reading, etc., so a nice vacation home
(as opposed to a basic motel where we do nothing but sleep) is
desirable; this means we are looking at areas where at least some of
the homes are typically leased out as vacation rentals. As a way to
illustrate what we are looking for: we were thinking of doing
Monterey in California (fly into San Jose, daytrip to San Francisco,
etc), but decided against it because for logistic reasons. Last year
we stayed in East Boothbay, Maine (flew into Boston, daytrips to
Portland and other towns, etc).

Are there areas around either Quebec City or Montreal that would be a
good place to look? I know almost nothing about this part of Canada,
so I don't know where to begin (other than a travel guide, and I
prefer real person recs when possible). Ideally, I would love a
quiet, pretty area in the country, near small towns of interest, close
enough to either city for sightseeing and even dining out if possible.
Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Susan
Old April 26th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Richard Bornstein

There are many nice bed and breakfasts in Quebec. They are called Gitês de
Passon i think. Call travel quebec, they have a great book of all the b&b's
in Quebec and whether they speak english or not. It is for a small fee but
worth it. When in Quebec city, we stay at Fleet's B&B in Sillery where they
are wonderful with young children and they serve a pancake breakfast with
real maple syrup.

om...

Old April 26th, 2004, 02:30 PM
JMC

There are so many areas you could consider!

If you like places where there is always something happening, your short
list should include the Tremblant area, aka Mont-Tremblant, about 2 hours
north of Montreal. Modern year-round resort, with all kinds of accomodations
and activities. www.tremblant.ca www.tremblant.com The regional tourism
assoc. should be able to help you find the right accomodation
http://www.laurentides.com/

If your preferences go to places where there seems to be nothing else to do
than to quietly enjoy every passing moment, then you should consider the
area east from Quebec city, either Charlevoix on the North Shore or Cacouna
on the South Shore. These areas, about 2 hours from Quebec City, where the
"in" place to spend the summer for rich New Englanders (see Manoir
Richelieu) of the early 20th century and have retained a certain flavor. To
get there, you would have to go by Quebec City , where you must stop for a
day or two. http://www.tourisme-charlevoix.com/en/accueil/index.asp
http://www.tourismebas-st-laurent.co...e=home1&stl=en
http://www.bonjourquebec.com

JMC

om...

Old April 26th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Shawn

Hello Susan :

I live in Vermont, but I'm Canadian and used to live in Quebec. I've spent
years in both Montreal and Quebec City, as well as the surrounding regions
and I know it well. From your post, it seems like you're looking for
somewhere a little more quiet and relaxed than a large city. So - in that,
I would recommend you not go to Montreal. Although it's probably my most
favourite city in the world, if you're looking for a country setting, I
wouldn't recommend that to you.

However, the region east of Quebec City, known as Charlevoix, is absolutely
fantastic. The north shore of the St. Lawrence River is some of the most
breathtaking scenery you'll encounter. The highway (138) that goes east out
of Quebec City along the north shore is gorgeous. And, it winds through the
countryside dotted with little towns and villages. Most people you will
encounter will have a basic grasp of the english language, some will not.
That makes your vacation there all the more memorable, as you try to
converse with another culture in 2 broken languages ! The people are really
wonderful though.

The first major "town" east of Quebec City, about a 1 hour drive is
Baie-Saint-Paul. One of my best friends from college owns an historic
century home on a cliff overlooking the St. Lawrence River in this village.
He's just recently got a job back in Ontario, where he's from, and so he is
renting out his house.

The location is perfect. An hour to Quebec City for wonderful restaurants,
museums, gorgeous parks, 600-year-old cobble-stone streets and buildings -
the only walled city in the Americas ! It's my other most favourite city in
the world. I lived there while going to university for my Masters degree.
Anyways, Baie-Saint-Paul is within an easy day's striking distance just to
the east of Quebec City. Going the other way out of Baie-Ste-Paul, the next
major town you'll hit is Tadoussac. This village is where the Saguenay
Fjord, which drains from Lac-Saint Jean in the north, enters the St.
Lawrence River. The fjord itself is spectacular. 700-foot granite cliffs
rise on both sides of this huge river and there are hiking trails all along
it. In addition to this however, Tadoussac is the single best place to go
whale-watching in all of the eastern Canada or the US for that matter. The
Saguenay River drains Lac-Saint-Jean, and hundreds of other northern Quebec
river systems, and flows southward. This is all freshwater. However, the
Saguenay enters the St. Lawrence River (at which point the "river" is
40-miles across, and is actually considered the "Gulf of the St. Lawrence"
or the St. Lawrence estuary) - and the St. Lawrence is sal****er. On top
of this, the Saguenay River is close to a 1,000-feet deep at it's confluence
with the St. Lawrence, which is only 600-feet deep or so at that point.
When you get a river that is deeper that the river it is flowing in to, you
get what's known as an "upwelling effect". All the nutrients from the
bottom are brought to the surface. Combine this with the fact that
freshwater and sal****er are mixing right at this upwelling spot, it creates
one of the most biologically productive locations you can imagine.
Plankton, and krill (whales primary food) are most abundant than anywhere
else at this one location. Consequently, it is a whale magnet. You can see
beluga whales, minke whales, fin whales, gray whales, humpback whales, even
blue whales - the largest animal on earth --- all right there in Tadoussac.
There are whale watching operators there - all licensed - that operate with
the Saguenay-St. Lawrence National Marine Sanctuary. I would guarantee you
will see whales.

Wow - I've really rambled on. You can tell I love this area of Quebec.

Anyways, I'm provided the link to my friends house he rents out in
Baie-Ste-Paul. There are 2 links. One is french, one is english. Visit
both as he seems to have put different pictures up.

If you have any questions you'd like to ask, just e-mail me. It's a
vacation I would highly recommend. Even if you don't stay at my friends'
house, there are lots of little B&B's, and very quaint motels along Route
138 from Quebec City to Tadoussac.

French Link :
http://www.hebergement-charlevoix.co...introfranc.htm

English Link :