here is my Costa Rica Vacation Plan, feedback needed

Old June 3rd, 2007, 03:36 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
AA

Default here is my Costa Rica Vacation Plan, feedback needed

OK.
I have already booked the airlines to COSTA RICA and a car (12 full days).
Also, based on
the responses I received from this newsgroup and many web sites: We decided
to visit the
following 6 areas :
1) San Jose
2) Tortuguero National Park area
3) Arenal
4) Monteverde
5) North Pacific Coast (Guanacaste)
6) Central Pacific (Jacó, Manuel Antonio).

My Four questions a

1) How would you order the itinerary given that we will fly in and out of
San Jose
2`) How many days do you suggest we should stay in each spot
3) Do you have a recommended accommodation (we don't mind spending a little
more money for a luxury accommodation), and a contact information that gets
us a good deal
4) Do we need the car the entire stay?

thanks for those who responded to my inquiry ad to those who will help with
these questions.
thanks again

Old June 3rd, 2007, 03:06 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Gene Kelly

I think you are trying to cover too many places in too little time,
especially since some of the locations will require the better part of a
days travel to get to.

--
Capt Gene Kelly
Montauk Sportfishing
.. .

Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
k[_1_]

This is a nice trip. The following are just suggestions, and I put the
longest stat in the middle so you can squeeze that part or stretch it out to
fit your wants.

Tortuguero will take a minimum of three days, and two of those days will
involve quite a bit of driving. I'll leave a lodging suggestion to others,
because it's been a long time since we went down that way. Boat tours
within the park will afford you the best wildlife viewing, and the beach
there is tropical paradise. It's easy to find an unoccupied stretch to call
your own. Be aware that it is HUMID on the Caribbean side, and also buggy,
so bring plenty of repellant.

From there, it's not a bad ride at all to Arenal. You should probably plan
lodging in advance, but the volcano-view places seem pretty similar. They
consist of main lodges with regular rooms, and cabins on a hillside facing
the volcano, and because of the hill, everyone has unimpeded views. The
mountain plays its rhythm around the clock, but you see the lava flows after
dark. You can rent horses in Fortuna and follow a guide out to a jungle
falls, where you can swim in remarkably cool water, then find your own way
back to the farm. Fortuna is a funky town, and it evokes feelings of the
old west. There are jungle boat tours nearby, and a lot of wildlife in the
area. Two nights at Arenal should be plenty.

From there, it's not far out to Guanacoste, and here I'll recommend a place
you're sure to like. It's the Flamingo Beach Resort, and it sits right in
the sand on one of the best beaches you're likely to encounter in CA.
http://www.resortflamingobeach.com/. Spend four or five nights there.
Diving is good, horses are available, and there are jungle and canopy tours
right from the hotel area. With a car, you can also check out some of the
neighboring beaches, which are all very nice.

You can drive through Monteverde on the trip from Flamingo Beach to Jaco.
Be sure to stop and hike out to a waterfall or, better yet, see the reserve
on horseback. On the way down from there to Jaco, you'll cross a bridge
near the sea, and you'll see all sorts of vehicles pulled off the road
there. That's because crocodiles congregate on the riverbank there, and
you'll get a nice, safe view of them from the bridge.

I can also recommend a high-end resort in Jaco. The beach isn't nice there,
but there are acres of swimming pool instead, and you can have a lot of fun
swimming and floating around. The place is Los Suenos
http://www.lossuenosresort.com/hotel.html. It's definitely upscale, run by
Marriott. You might actually do better with a condo there, but it will be
nice way to end your trip. It's not far back to San Jose. Be sure to take
a ride on a birdwatch boat from near there. You'll see a lot of exotic
birds, as well as dolphins and more crocs.

Before I forget, if you want a real 'downtown' experience in San Jose, try
the older Gran Hotel, which sits right on the main plaza. There is a front
balcony where you can eat or have a drink, and it's very sociable. The
hotel is pretty well maintained, but it's a grand hotel in the Central
American tradition, not by world standards. It's still our hotel of choice
in San Jose.

Keith

.. .

Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
AA

Thanks a lot for such an abundance of directions.
Are you sure "Tortuguero " would need 3 days? does this include Arenal as
well? I was under the impression I needed 2-3 days in Arenal?
How about driving: Even though we will be "boating" a lot in "Tortuguero",
you think we will be doing a lot of driving
Also, I was under the impression that Monteverde and Arenal are in the same
area, you have put Arenal destination on my way to the North; and Monteverde
on the way South to Jaco?

The above questions are just to make sure I understood you right and see if
you have any further comments.
I will take your advice ad visit the Flamingo beach, ay recommended
accommodations?
I heard Manuel Antonio is better area for mainly than Jaco (I heard it is a
party town).

Again: between you and janerene, you guys have been a great help for me so
far.
thanks
AA

"k" wrote in message
et...
This is a nice trip. The following are just suggestions, and I put the
longest stat in the middle so you can squeeze that part or stretch it out
to fit your wants.

Tortuguero will take a minimum of three days, and two of those days will
involve quite a bit of driving. I'll leave a lodging suggestion to
others, because it's been a long time since we went down that way. Boat
tours within the park will afford you the best wildlife viewing, and the
beach there is tropical paradise. It's easy to find an unoccupied stretch
to call your own. Be aware that it is HUMID on the Caribbean side, and
also buggy, so bring plenty of repellant.

From there, it's not a bad ride at all to Arenal. You should probably
plan lodging in advance, but the volcano-view places seem pretty similar.
They consist of main lodges with regular rooms, and cabins on a hillside
facing the volcano, and because of the hill, everyone has unimpeded views.
The mountain plays its rhythm around the clock, but you see the lava flows
after dark. You can rent horses in Fortuna and follow a guide out to a
jungle falls, where you can swim in remarkably cool water, then find your
own way back to the farm. Fortuna is a funky town, and it evokes feelings
of the old west. There are jungle boat tours nearby, and a lot of
wildlife in the area. Two nights at Arenal should be plenty.

From there, it's not far out to Guanacoste, and here I'll recommend a
place you're sure to like. It's the Flamingo Beach Resort, and it sits
[...]

.. .

Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:29 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
k[_1_]

"AA" wrote in message
[...]

If you're going to Tortuguero you may as well see what you can while there.
It's a serious drive down from San Jose, and will take 5 or 6 hrs in a car.
The road isn't in bad condition, but it's not especially modern, and it's
quite steep in parts, with switchbacks, etc that won't show on the map.
It's about 140 miles, but it's slow going almost all the way.

It's about 160 miles from Tortuguero to Arenal, but on a better road.
Still, figure on 4-5 hrs. From Arenal to Flamingo isn't a bad drive at all,
as it's good road almost all the way.

You can devote an Arenal day to a trip out to Monteverde. It's not far, but
you'll have to come back on the same road. If you do that, add a day in
Arenal and take one away from somewhere else, and see if you'll be going
past a canopy tour place. That's a must-do, and a lot of fun for the
dollar.

Before I forget to mention this, I know you have children going on this
trip. The beaches in Guanacaste are gorgeous, the water is warm, and there
is open-ocean surf. That's all wonderful, and much fun to play in, but like
the entire Pacific Coast from Puntarenas up to Alsaka, the beaches are
subject to rips, or rip-tides. Rips cause many, many unnecessary drownings
every year, and you can give your kids (and yourself) and easy lesson on how
to escape one if you find yourself being pulled to sea.

Here's a site that tells you what to do, but basically a rip will pull you
straight out to sea, and you only have to turn and swim parallel to the
beach to escape it. http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/

I don't know about Manuel Antonio being a 'party' area, it's a National
Park. Jaco qualifies because of the concentration of big resorts there. I
mentioned Los Suenos because we've stayed there and enjoyed it, and there is
so much nature to enjoy in the area. Jaco is also big on deep-sea fishing
if that's something you like to do, and the docks are right at Los Suenos.

I did suggest the Flamingo Beach Hotel at Flamingo Beach, which is one of
the links I sent you. There is nothing there not to like.

Also, when I say three days I mean two nights, and when I say two nights, I
mean three days, knowing that parts of the first and last day will be coming
and going. Let's say your first 1 night in San Jose, 2 nights at
Tortuguera, 2-3 nights at Arenal, 3-4 nights at Flamingo, 2 nights in Jaco
or Manuel Antonio, and your last 1 night back in San Jose. If your trip
isn't 12 nights, then you'll have to drop one somewhere.

Just don't miss your plane, everything else will work out.

Keith

Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:41 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
AA

Wow, you have been specific enough for me.
One last thing, I keep hearing about the "CR highlights" by
http://www.ecoscapetours.com/ not to be missed.

So here is what is in my mind:
day 1 : CR highlights
day 2, 3: Tortuguera
day 4, 5: Arenal
day 6, 7, 8, 9 Flamingo+Monteverde
day 10, 11, and 12: Jaco and Manuel Antonio
Head back to Sa Jose on the 12th day.

Please tell me what you think
AA

"k" wrote in message
. net...

Old June 4th, 2007, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
G&G

Forget the Caribbean Coast. Nasty.
Other than that, check out:
Aernal Lodge
Hotel Sugar Beach (near Playa Flamingo)
Hotel Costa Verde (Quepos) - Still more monkeys than people.
Too bad you are missing Montezuma!
Jaco is a beach town for college kids.
Eat at the local sodas. You will have the time of your life!
And someone mentioned the crocs. Don't miss them!
Pura Vida,
G&G
"AA" wrote in message
. ..
Wow, you have been specific enough for me.
One last thing, I keep hearing about the "CR highlights" by
http://www.ecoscapetours.com/ not to be missed.

So here is what is in my mind:
day 1 : CR highlights
day 2, 3: Tortuguera
day 4, 5: Arenal
day 6, 7, 8, 9 Flamingo+Monteverde
day 10, 11, and 12: Jaco and Manuel Antonio
Head back to Sa Jose on the 12th day.

Please tell me what you think
AA

"k" wrote in message
. net...

Old June 4th, 2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Judi

"AA"wrote Wow, you have been specific enough for me.
One last thing, I keep hearing about the "CR highlights" by
http://www.ecoscapetours.com/ not to be missed.

So here is what is in my mind:
day 1 : CR highlights
day 2, 3: Tortuguera
day 4, 5: Arenal
day 6, 7, 8, 9 Flamingo+Monteverde
day 10, 11, and 12: Jaco and Manuel Antonio
Head back to Sa Jose on the 12th day.

Please tell me what you think
AA

That's pretty ambitious for 12 nights, especially with kids.
My husband and I did 17 nights
San Jose
Cahuita
Arenal - got to witness 2 major eruptions and it was perfectly clear!
Manuel Antonio
Dominical
We are in pretty good shape.
Did everything by public bus, very cheap, no stress over a car rental, and
we were completely exhausted.
That's many different climate zones. So please, drink LOTS of water and then
drink more so you don't get 'the grippy'. Because that could lay just one of
you up for a day or two and there goes your plans.

Did I say drink water, water and more water!

Have a fabulous time it's a beautiful country!

judi

Old June 4th, 2007, 02:46 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Judi

So here is what is in my mind:
day 1 : CR highlights
day 2, 3: Tortuguera
day 4, 5: Arenal
day 6, 7, 8, 9 Flamingo+Monteverde
day 10, 11, and 12: Jaco and Manuel Antonio
Head back to Sa Jose on the 12th day.

Please tell me what you think
AA

Forgot to say, skip Jaco

judi

Old June 4th, 2007, 04:10 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
AA

How many days/nights did you stay in each?
We are going to Manuel Antonio not Jaco.
Thanks
AL