Alaska Questions

Old June 4th, 2007, 03:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeri Hurst

Default Alaska Questions

Would you consider a cruise to Alaska the middle of September aboard the
Sun Princess?????? Would it be too cold for a balcony????? and how would
you rate the Sun Princess?????

Jeri Hurst

Old June 4th, 2007, 11:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
G&G

Sure. Take your bug repellent, jacket, and don't expect to see as much snow
or waterfalls.
Pura Vida,

Old June 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

Bring a good water proof windbreaker or such. It rains a lot. By
Mid-to-Late September many of the whales have already migrated to
Hawaii. Still there might be some to spot.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

On 6/4/2007 6:28 PM G&G exclaimed:

Old June 8th, 2007, 11:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JB Shaw

I have been on l3 Alaska cruises in May, June, July, August and
September and without a doubt the very BEST time to go is in late May or
early June. September is the worst because there is a lot of over cast
weather, clouds and rain.

Old June 9th, 2007, 02:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Went to alaska the end of may,beginning of june,had beautiful weather
the entire cruise,neighbor went in september,and had a job fighting the
bugs. fog,and rain

cruise lover

Old June 9th, 2007, 04:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
eclectic.artist

I went on an adventure cruise in August 2005.. It was great. Yes, it
rained daily, but the whales were performing, and there were otters
everywhere. Even saw a few bear. We kayaked daily. I had a blast.

The downside was arriving back in Houston for KatrinaRita. I should
have stayed in Alaska.

Conrad

Old June 9th, 2007, 12:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Reef Fish[_4_]

On Jun 8, 9:05 pm, (Surfer E2468) wrote:
Went to alaska the end of may,beginning of june,had beautiful weather
the entire cruise,neighbor went in september,and had a job fighting the
bugs. fog,and rain

First CORRECT info I've seen posted by Surfer.

The reason for what's good and not good during the May-September
Alaskan cruising season is the beginning and end of the summer
season in Alaska.

I've been on the Alaskan cruises in September. It wasn't all that
bad. The Princess is having DEEP discounts on the May/June
Alaskan cruises now because they have trouble filling the ships
in Alaska. For the June 9 Inside-passenge cruise (Glacier Bay,
Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, from Whittier to Vancouver) I was
SURPRISED which is very rare these days that the breakdown
of the cruise price was only $289 pp/do for the 7-day cruise
(cabin and meals!) for the Princess!!! The average hotel room
per night is over $100 now in the USA, and the food and
entertainment alone would cost more than the cruise price for
the week.

The port charges are $210 pp, and $147.07 pp goes to TAXES.
I can hardly see how the cruise line makes any money on that
kind of fare.

That's the only reason I am on this cruise since I've been on the
identical itinerary before and bought a beautiful Alaskan wolf skin
in Ketchikan that cost more than the cost of this cruise for two. :-)

I get emails from various cruise lines EVERY DAY on their
bargain-basement "special fares" for cruises everywhere.

The cruise business is hurting for having TOO MANY SHIPS,
too many fleets, and not enough cruisers to fill them day in and
day out. Which is GOOD NEWS to those like me who can
pick the "last-minute" bargains and go anytime I am not booked
on some other cruises.

-- Reef Fish Bob.

Old June 10th, 2007, 11:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Keera Ann Fox

Reef Fish wrote:

The reason for what's good and not good during the May-September
Alaskan cruising season is the beginning and end of the summer
season in Alaska.

I'm completely new to cruising (and this group - hi!), and am going on a
cruise to Alaska on the Golden Princess in July (21st). What is the
weather likely to be like then? I don't like lugging luggage, so
anything I don't need to pack…

--
Keera in Norway * Think big. Shrink to fit.
http://home.online.no/~kafox/
Old June 10th, 2007, 01:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Keera Ann Fox

Joseph yourDROPTHIS2comcast.net wrote:

(Keera Ann Fox) wrote in
news:1hzhqv9.q8vwpkifh1ctN%thinkbig.shrinktofit@on line.no:

Reef Fish wrote:

The reason for what's good and not good during the May-September
Alaskan cruising season is the beginning and end of the summer
season in Alaska.

I'm completely new to cruising (and this group - hi!), and am going on a
cruise to Alaska on the Golden Princess in July (21st). What is the
weather likely to be like then? I don't like lugging luggage, so
anything I don't need to pack╜

What is the weather in Oslo in July? Bergen? It should be in the high
20's Celsius and it should be sunny,, but I have been there in July with
cool rains.

That sounds like Bergen, where I live. Except... These last years the
weather patterns have changed, bringing us more rain in winter and
outright heat in the summer. Right now, southern Norway is experiencing
what can only be described as a heatwave - our warmest June since 1887.
Bergen's been having up to 80F in the shade, whereas we normally peak at
66F this time of year, and consider 75F hot (which it is in the shade
here, today; Wednesday is predicted to have rain and 55F, which is far
more like a normal Bergen summer).

So one reason I ask about Alaskan weather is find out what the normal
pattern is and whether or not it has changed the last couple of years. I
would normally tell people to be prepared for degrees below 60F for
Bergen (where I live) in the summer, but considering how our last 3-4
Julys have been, I also have to tell them to be prepared for 80F and no
AC. And they can't even count on it to rain.

It will defintely be cool if you are in Glacier Bay

What's "cool" for Glacier Bay?