Back from Royal Caribbean Event in NYC

Old June 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Back from Royal Caribbean Event in NYC

Just got back from Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas Event in NYC.

They introduced the new webpage with LOTS of new artist renderings.
http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/

2 New "Neighborhoods" were introduced today.

Last time they talked about "Central Park"

Today they talked about the inside "Promenade", and the outside "Boardwalk"
areas.

The Promenade is inside just like on Freedom/Voyager class ships, but it's 2
stories, and is situated 3 decks below Central Park.

The Boardwalk is the aft section. It's surround on the sides by more
balcony cabins, but in the back it's entirely open (so the upper 8 decks of
the ship are built like a U, with the back completely open. At the back end
of the boardwalk is Aquatheater, sort of a Greek style theater overlooking
the stern. The Aquatheater has a large pool and a high dive board. They'll
be able to do water shows there.

Other features:

A Carousel (they gave us huge chocolate carousel-horse lolly pops)
A Zip Line
Covered walkways on Central Park in case it rains.
Someone mentioned a tattoo parlor.

They're still keeping things like whether there's an ice rink a secret.

They had probably about 200-300 people there, at the Nokia Theater. They
served drinks and hor d'oeurves (but no lunch).

--Tom

Old June 18th, 2008, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Peri

Tom K wrote:
Just got back from Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas Event in NYC.

They introduced the new webpage with LOTS of new artist renderings.
http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/

I've also posted some shots of today's event on Picasa to give you a
flavor of what we saw.

http://picasaweb.google.com/perischa...TheSeasPreview

I have to say that we were pretty much drooling over what we learned.
Sure, this is a clear case of "ship as destination" instead of pure
cruising (whatever that means these days!), but Royal Caribbean
certainly seems to have nailed the genre.

I was impressed by the Freedom class, and thoroughly enjoyed the
Liberty, but it looks as if Oasis is in a different class both literally
and entirely.

To augment some of what Tom said, some stream of consciousness
reflections...

The Boardwalk area is reminiscent of an old-fashioned seaside promenade,
with a Seafood Shack Restaurant, street performers, and other fun
features. Johnny Rockets will be located here.

Walking aft through the Boardwalk, you arrive at the Aquatheater, based
on the style of a Greek amphitheater, with tiered seating for 750
surrounding a HUGE freshwater pool, the largest swimming pool at sea.
By day, it will be available for guests, at night, it will feature
diving shows, water ballet, light shows and fountains.

There is a new category of staterooms called Loft Suites that are
bi-level and gorgeous. They come in three categories, with the largest
being 1700 square feet.

There are staterooms with balconies that overlook both the Boardwalk and
Central Park, in addition to the standard ocean balcony rooms.

The Royal Promenade on this ship is 100 yards long and two times as wide
as the ones on the Voyager and Freedom class ships.

The ship, at capacity, holds 6300 people.

It's got the Rising Tide Bar which will travel up and down between the
Promenade and Central Park decks.

The stack will telescope down so it can fit under various bridges
(including one as it makes its way out of Denmark on its way here!).

Oasis will home port at Port Everglades, where a new terminal is being
built for her and the Allure.

It will set sail on December 12, 2009, with an Eastern Caribbean
itinerary, and starting in May of 2010 will alternate Eastern and
Western, adding a new port (Falmouth) in Jamaica.

Bookings will open on September 3 of this year.

Wow. Wow. Wow.

I can't wait to hear what's in store for the four remaining
"neighborhoods" they're not saying anything about yet.

I'm afraid to find out what the cost of sailing will be...

~ Peri
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
sheree

I echo tom and peri's comments. They really know how to do the wow factor.
I really don't care the ports, I just want to go on the ship! But it will
be interesting to see the premium pricing they have when they open for
bookings. Although the inside/outside boardwalk cabins will be interesting.

The affair today was a lot of fun, they had boardwalk entertainers, a model
of the ship etc.

They are also planning to have ziplining available!

I really really want to go on this ship!

sheree

Old June 18th, 2008, 11:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

I love how the ship is open in the back and ends at the Aquatheater...

(photos)
http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/render..._sailboats.jpg
http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/render...sk_from_BW.jpg

And I think you're right about the cost... at least the first few months.

Richard Fain said he was on the ship in Finland last week.

--Tom

Old June 19th, 2008, 01:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Peri
wrote:

Wow. Wow. Wow.

I can't wait to hear what's in store for the four remaining
"neighborhoods" they're not saying anything about yet.

I also thought "Wow". It is going to be an awesome ship. I don't need
to hear about the remaining neighborhoods to know I will be booking
Oasis although I will be waiting in anticipation to hear about the
remaining neighborhoods. I like the word they used at the event.
"Incredible" I like innovators and Royal Caribbean continues to be the
innovator in the cruise industry.

--
Charles
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Tom K
wrote:

They had probably about 200-300 people there, at the Nokia Theater. They
served drinks and hor d'oeurves (but no lunch).

It was nice to see the RCI executives who made short presentations and
took questions and answers. Richard Fain made a positive impression.

--
Charles
Old June 19th, 2008, 02:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Thanks for the reports to Tom, Sherre, Peri and Charles.

Never having been on a Voyager Class or Freedom Class ship yet, we may
have to skip over them and book the Oasis.

The Aft Theater reminds me of the shows I saw at Jones Beach in Long
Island many years ago.

Maybe we can get a group cruise going on the Oasis of the Sea for Jan.
or Feb. '10.

sue - doesn't care which ports it goes to!

Old June 19th, 2008, 04:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Peri
wrote:

Wow. Wow. Wow.

I can't wait to hear what's in store for the four remaining
"neighborhoods" they're not saying anything about yet.

I also thought "Wow". It is going to be an awesome ship. I don't need
to hear about the remaining neighborhoods to know I will be booking
Oasis although I will be waiting in anticipation to hear about the
remaining neighborhoods. I like the word they used at the event.
"Incredible" I like innovators and Royal Caribbean continues to be the
innovator in the cruise industry.

WOW and Incredible are THE words for this ship! But you would have to be on
it for two weeks to really see it all and that is without any ports! I
don't know...6300 passengers? I'd have to give this one some serious
thought before booking!
Thanks for the info, Tom, Peri, Sheree and Charles.
--Jean

Old June 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
sheree

both he and adam seemed very down to earth and were even f unny at times

jean, as for the amount of people, this seemst to be so big you could
probably lose your own family! i'm not worried about the crowds, i'm just
afraid the cost will be prohibitive

sheree
"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old June 19th, 2008, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"sheree" wrote in message
both he and adam seemed very down to earth and were even f unny at times

jean, as for the amount of people, this seemst to be so big you could
probably lose your own family! i'm not worried about the crowds, i'm just
afraid the cost will be prohibitive

The thought of embarkation and disembarkation of 6300 passengers is what
bothers me, Sheree..I would definitely not want to go on the maiden voyage
nor several voyages later until all the kinks are worked out...maybe the
cost would go down by then, too! Makes you wonder how the quality of the
meals will be with the kitchen having to service so many, also!
What and when is your next cruise?
--Jean