Mumbai/Bombay Airport to Pune?

Old July 27th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Newbie

Default Mumbai/Bombay Airport to Pune?

I need your help in figuring out how best to get to Pune from
Mumbai/Bombay airport. We shall be arriving in Mumbai around 5 AM, so
the time is probably good, but with heavy luggage and exhausted after
about 20 hours of economy class travel. Therefore, we would not be in a
penny pinching mood. We just want something fast that would be
safe and comfortable.

I have ruled out the trains (ironically my preferred option in many
European and Asian countries) becuase of the hassle of getting to the
train station and not knowing for sure if we can get the tickets (we
have nobody in Mumbai who can buy the tickets in advance).

So I see three options and need your help in sorting them:

1. Odd as it sounds at first to my American heart, we can take the 120
mile flight if that's what makes most sense. Posted price is about $50
per person, may have to wait 3-4 hours at the airport, would probably
reach Pune at the same time!

2. "Luxury" buses. Do any of them start from the Mumbai airport? Do
they have good safety record (road accidents)? Recalling another luxury
bus I took India once, do they play loud music/videos (very bad, we
prefer quiet)?!

3. Finally, taxi. We don't want to haggle with private operators. How
much would an "official" pre-paid one cost for the full cab?

Basically, if we take the road option, are taxis safer and more
comfortable than luxury buses (assuming the latter are available at he
airport)? How long is the road travel?

Thank you very much for any input.
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Nige

"Newbie" wrote in message

[...]

just my two paise worth.
The international terminal at Mumbai airport is at Sahar which is north of
the airport. To reach the domestic airport at Santa Cruz (west) you need to
go round the airport perimeter roads and this can take a while. So = bit of
a hassle.
To get a train really means going into the city which means a long 45 minute
plus drive down to VTI station where you can get a nice train. You then come
back up the 'sort of' peninsula of the city towards the east.
You do not advise how many pax. Is it two to more? Maybe the road option is
best because you can get onto the main Mumbai-Pune highway from Sahar
without coming into the city. More direct. But this should mean fixing up a
reliable driver probably coming down from Pune to meet your flight at a pre
agreed price. Not sure what this would be. Depends on the car and the
driver. And if you have someone reliable in Pune to organise. The driver can
stand outside the airport building with a pre arranged name card or other.
After a long flight, maybe I would prefer to get into a hotel for a few
hours rest and wash, then fly from Mumbai domestic.there are some nice
places near the international airport like Leela or a few opposite the
Domestic like Centaur.

Old July 27th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Newbie

Nige wrote:

[...]

We would be two passengers. The flight lands at 5:15am, we may be
getting out at 6:30am.

It doesn't make sense to me too to drive 1-2 hours through the city
traffic to catch a train for a 3-4 hour journey. Besides we would be
tired and train stations are not comfortable for waiting.

Taxi from Sahar to Santa Cruz should be less pain, so domestic flight
is an option. There are flights around 9-10 am, so I am not sure if
there is time to go to any hotel. (However, the idea certainly sounds
attractive. How much do the good hotels cost? But our timing may not be
good for that. Usually you can't check in until late afternoon and in
that case it may be best to get on the road and rest in Pune.)

Catching a taxi from the Sahar terminal itself is attractive.
(So-called luxury buses seem to take 5-6 hours and make many stops. We
would prefer a taxi dedicated to us. Should be 3-4 hours.)

But, I am puzzled about one thing. Why do you think the taxi has to
come from Pune? Can't we hire a pre-paid one at Sahar itself? We don't
know anyone that well in Pune, but of course we could arrange it
through travel agencies and phone ourselves. I am just wondering if we
can't just hire one at sahar upon arrival?

Thanks.

Old July 28th, 2004, 02:38 AM
flyinyereye

"Newbie" wrote in message

I have ruled out the trains (ironically my preferred option in many
European and Asian countries) becuase of the hassle of getting to the
train station and not knowing for sure if we can get the tickets (we
have nobody in Mumbai who can buy the tickets in advance).

Actually, you can book train tickets online at http://www.indianrail.gov.in/
and pick them up at the train station in Mumbai.

If you want more info on India try http://www.indiamike.com Unfortunately
they're currently upgrading the site, but it should be back in the next week
so bookmark it for then. Lots of experienced India travellers and locals
there to answer any questions you may have.

Old July 28th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Romanise

Newbie wrote
(So-called luxury buses seem to take 5-6 hours and make many stops. We
would prefer a taxi dedicated to us. Should be 3-4 hours.)

Sahar-Pune Coach may make one stop at Lonawala. Inquire first for it
and then for Taxi.
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:29 PM
harmony

i would take the domestic flight since you have heavy luggage.
after the flight, your next 2 hours probably will be best spent unwinding at
the restaurant at Leela (you don't need to check into any room) after
checking in for the pune flight. i would think there would be several
flights in the morning hours for pune with easy availability.

the luxury bus is no luxury to me for the same reason you cite, ie its loud
music and vedios, and i avoid them.
however, as for safety goes the bus is safer than a cab. cab seems unwieldy.