Suggestions please - Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Pkwy

Old August 11th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Frank F. Matthews

In the park I would suggest the lodge. For the Blue Ridge just drop
down to the west and hit a place along the interstate. You might check
out some B&B sites if you can plan out your distances. Spend a little
time at the farm interpretive center about 10 miles from the start of
the BR.

Getting the I81 coupon book at the Virginia welcome center might get
some decent discounts.

King Ineptune wrote:

Hi all,

Looking to travel 2nd week of Oct from Front Royal south to the end of BRP.
We would like to make our first stop in Luray, Va. Could anyone please
suggest some nice hotels (no cabins, campsite, or flea-ridden motels please)
in Luray?

Also, we plan to spend 5-6 days to make the tour... could anyone offer a
realistic intinerary from Luray down to the end along with decent hotels?
Due to the short time for planning, we are already assuming a difficult time
in acquiring prime lodging. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Old August 11th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Sarah Banick

. ..

King Ineptune wrote:

Hi all,

Looking to travel 2nd week of Oct from Front Royal south to the end of
BRP.
We would like to make our first stop in Luray, Va. Could anyone please
suggest some nice hotels (no cabins, campsite, or flea-ridden motels
please)
in Luray?

Also, we plan to spend 5-6 days to make the tour... could anyone offer a
realistic intinerary from Luray down to the end along with decent hotels?
Due to the short time for planning, we are already assuming a difficult
time
in acquiring prime lodging. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "end", but if you make it to North
Carolina, try to stay at the Pisgah Inn, right on the park way.
http://www.pisgahinn.com/ It's a National Parks Service sponsored hotel --
not too expensive, and great food in the restaurant. You surrounded by
nothing but nature, and the views are fantastic.

Sarah

Old August 17th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Pan

"King Ineptune" wrote in message
Hi all,

Looking to travel 2nd week of Oct from Front Royal south to the end of

BRP.
We would like to make our first stop in Luray, Va. Could anyone please
suggest some nice hotels (no cabins, campsite, or flea-ridden motels

please)
in Luray?

Also, we plan to spend 5-6 days to make the tour... could anyone offer a
realistic intinerary from Luray down to the end along with decent hotels?
Due to the short time for planning, we are already assuming a difficult

time
in acquiring prime lodging. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You'll be there during peak foliage season, as such the parkway will be
packed with traffic jams. Better make sure you have reservations as the
hotels are probably booked up or else don't be surprised if you're sleeping
in your car.

http://climate.virginia.edu/foliage.htm

Pan

Old August 17th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Pan wrote:

[...]

I would have thought that the timing is a bit early for the leaf crowds.
The site that you cite indicates 15-21 for the central mountains of VA
and I would expect NC to be later.