Oregon Coast

Old March 11th, 2006, 03:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Oregon Coast

Hello everyone!

Any suggestions for a short drive up the Oregon coast? We're interested in
scenery, art, odd things, and good-but-inexpensive food and lodging.

Thanks!

Old March 11th, 2006, 05:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

From where? The southern coast is, in my opinion, the most scenic...others
may disagree. You will find the amenities you seek in places like Bandon,
Florence, etc.

Bob Gardner

Old March 11th, 2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"tuckermo" wrote in message
Hello everyone!

Any suggestions for a short drive up the Oregon coast? We're interested in
scenery, art, odd things, and good-but-inexpensive food and lodging.

Thanks!

A CD entitled "Cody's Guide" has a lot of good information, maps, and
pictures about the Oregon coast South from Bandon. See codysguide.com

Robert

Old March 11th, 2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 07:35:23 -0800, tuckermo wrote:
Any suggestions for a short drive up the Oregon coast? We're interested in
scenery, art, odd things, and good-but-inexpensive food and lodging.

When, and starting from where? Summer on the coast is fairly crazy...
but bargains can be had.

In the meantime, see if your library has a copy of "Best Places
Northwest" (earlier editions were "Northwest Best Places") --
it's pretty much the touring bible for the upper left states
and BC. I've never been disappointed by their
recommendations, and it includes places that won't stomp on your
wallet, as well as those that will do a nice job of flattening
the budget. g

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1570614172

Also useful: Driving the Pacific Coast: Oregon and Washington:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0762724927 and 120 Hikes on the
Oregon Coast: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089886576X

One of my favorite spots: Darlingtonia Wayside:
http://www.splintercat.org/DarlingtoniaWayside/Darlingt
oniaPages/DarlingtoniaMainPage.html

One of my favorite coastal activities: winter storm watching.
Be *very* careful on the beach if you do this, as sneaker waves
and loose logs (that don't look likely to budge) kill a few
folks every year.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getawa...rmtour03.shtml

Another useful site: http://www.visittheoregoncoast.com/ --
perhaps http://www.visittheoregoncoast.com/h...?dir_cat=15383
will help.

Kay

Old March 12th, 2006, 02:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

tuckermo wrote:
Hello everyone!

Any suggestions for a short drive up the Oregon coast? We're interested in
scenery, art, odd things, and good-but-inexpensive food and lodging.

Thanks!

Cannon Beach is very nice.

Old March 12th, 2006, 04:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

have you heard about the Treehouse - it was featured in Sunset mag a
few months ago.
http://www.treehouses.com/treehouse/.../brochure.html
I haven't been but it looks very cool.

And if you're traveling to California, check out my website Things You
Should Do in California, www.thingsyoushoulddo.com the best
adventures, events, hotels, restaurants, etc.

Old March 12th, 2006, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

When we go down to visit our kids in the Bay area we either go by I-5, which
is fast but boring, or 101. I think you want 101 or even 1. If you take 101
past Novato and Petluma, you won't get to the coast until you reach Eureka,
more or less. From Eureka north to the border you will be along the coast
most of the time. For max scenery in Northern CA, however, go over to 1 at
the north end of the GG bridge and stick with it all the way to Leggett.
Tricky driving but great scenery.

From Crescent City on 101, the beach scenery from Brookings, OR to Bandon
will knock your socks off. Only drawback is that going north all of the good
stuff will be on the other side of the road. Figure out a way to be driving
south as you follow the coast of southern Oregon.

Bob Gardner

"tuckermo" wrote in message
Oops--from California, traveling north in early May.

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
From where? The southern coast is, in my opinion, the most
scenic...others may disagree. You will find the amenities you seek in

Old March 12th, 2006, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

[Unuploadable since 04:00 of 3/12.]

tuckermo wrote:
Any suggestions for a short drive up the Oregon coast? We're interested in
scenery, art, odd things, and good-but-inexpensive food and lodging.

When you get to Long Beach, leave the road to drive up the beach. I
think I covered about twenty miles on the sand.

Many think Sea Lion Caves isn't worth the trouble. I disagree.

A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

Old March 15th, 2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Thanks to you all for the ideas--helpful! I wish we could reverse our
direction so we'd be on the same side as the ocean--I hadn't thought of
that. But the timing of various events requires that we just come barrelling
back south as fast as we can, so it's I5 for that.