Garmisch-Partenkirchen to St. Gallen ???

Old September 14th, 2003, 02:03 AM
Dlpurcell

Default Garmisch-Partenkirchen to St. Gallen ???

Will be arriving in Munich Saturday Nov 1. Would like to stay in
Garmisch-Partenkirchen Saturday night. How long is the drive? Recommendations
on places to stay with kids?
Also, want to visit ancesteral haunts in St. Gallen Switzerland on Sunday.
What is the best route to take from Garmisch-Partenkirchen? Will the library
be open on Sunday? Where should we stay in that vicinity? How long should we
plan for a direct drive back to Nuremburg on Monday?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Deb
Old September 14th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Jens Arne Maennig

Dlpurcell wrote:

Will be arriving in Munich Saturday Nov 1. Would like to stay in
Garmisch-Partenkirchen Saturday night. How long is the drive?

Depends pretty much from where in Munich you start. It takes me usually
about 45 minutes. From the airport, it might more be like 1:15 hrs.

Also, want to visit ancesteral haunts in St. Gallen Switzerland on Sunday.
What is the best route to take from Garmisch-Partenkirchen?

Ammersattel - Lermoos - Fernpass - Imst - Arlberg - Rheintal-Autobahn -
Exit Hohenems-Diepoldsau (follow signs to St. Gallen/Zürich) - A13/A1 to
St. Gallen. I would estimate a bit over 200 kms an about three hours if
you take your time.

Will the library be open on Sunday?

Probably not.

How long should we
plan for a direct drive back to Nuremburg on Monday?

A bit over three hours.

Jens

Old September 14th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Alec

"Jens Arne Maennig" wrote in message
Dlpurcell wrote:

Will be arriving in Munich Saturday Nov 1. Would like to stay in
Garmisch-Partenkirchen Saturday night. How long is the drive?

Depends pretty much from where in Munich you start. It takes me usually
about 45 minutes. From the airport, it might more be like 1:15 hrs.

Also, want to visit ancesteral haunts in St. Gallen Switzerland on

Sunday.
What is the best route to take from Garmisch-Partenkirchen?

Ammersattel - Lermoos - Fernpass - Imst - Arlberg - Rheintal-Autobahn -
Exit Hohenems-Diepoldsau (follow signs to St. Gallen/Zürich) - A13/A1 to
St. Gallen. I would estimate a bit over 200 kms an about three hours if
you take your time.

Will the library be open on Sunday?

Probably not.

It's open on Sundays from 10 am to 4 pm, but it's closed from 10 Nov to 21
Dec this year for renovation. Open to 5 pm Mon-Sat. Entrance 7 SFr, 5SFr
pupils and students. Euro accepted.

Alec

Old September 14th, 2003, 01:59 PM
tim

.. .

Dlpurcell wrote:

[...]

Can someone explain to this dumb Englishmah, what sort of Library
this is that charges for entrance?

Old September 14th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Alec

"tim" wrote in message

.. .

Dlpurcell wrote:

[...]

It's a beautiful baroque library formerly attached to the abbey of St Gallen
(Stiftsbibliothek). http://www.stibi.ch/index.asp
It contains important collection of manuscripts and early printed books. To
avoid damaging the floor, visitors are required to wear slippers over their
shoes. It's like Trinity College (Old)Library in Dublin, which has the Book
of Kells (and charges something like 7 euro/£5 for entry).

Alec

Old September 14th, 2003, 08:53 PM
tim

"Alec" wrote in message
.. .

"tim" wrote in message
Can someone explain to this dumb Englishmah, what sort of Library
this is that charges for entrance?

It's a beautiful baroque library formerly attached to the abbey of St Gallen
(Stiftsbibliothek). http://www.stibi.ch/index.asp
It contains important collection of manuscripts and early printed books. To
avoid damaging the floor, visitors are required to wear slippers over their
shoes. It's like Trinity College (Old)Library in Dublin, which has the Book
of Kells (and charges something like 7 euro/£5 for entry).

Ah, thank you.

I'll add it to my list of places to vists.

Tim

Alec