Tipping on HAL

Old January 29th, 2007, 02:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ermalee[_2_]

Default Tipping on HAL

Surfer E2468 wrote:
Wish people had done that before boarding the VOLENDAM,many held up the
line boarding because they had 3 or more very large pieces of luggage(26
-28 ) size,full and so heavy they had to have help trying to put them on
the security belt. They should not have allowed them to hold up the
lines the way they did. We always have a porter take our
large pieces of luggage ,and have never had a problem with getting it in
a reasonable amt.of time,i guess some people are just inconsiderate of
others.

cruise lover

Not guilty! I do not lift luggage. Even those pieces with wheels need
to be lifted just a little bit now and then. I know that I'm strong
enough to do some of the lifting, but with big strong people surrounding
me as I board a ship, plane, etc, there is no need for me to risk it as
long as I have some greenbacks in hand. And there's always help getting
the bags off an airport carousel.
I say part with a few bucks and let those more qualified handle the luggage.

Ermalee --also doesn't do windows, dishes or laundry grin
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Steve B

Todd Michel McComb wrote:

This $10 per person is split equitably between the steward, waiter,
etc.? Are there other tips that will be expected? I read that
bartenders don't expect tips, but this doesn't make sense to me.
They don't?

One correction to the other posts. The $10/day is split among the
steward, waiters, and a whole bunch of behind-the-scenes people.
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jim

"Steve B" wrote in message
. ..
Todd Michel McComb wrote:

This $10 per person is split equitably between the steward, waiter,
etc.? Are there other tips that will be expected? I read that
bartenders don't expect tips, but this doesn't make sense to me.
They don't?

One correction to the other posts. The $10/day is split among the
steward, waiters, and a whole bunch of behind-the-scenes people.

The Bar people automatically get a 15% tip from your bar tab. Of all the
people on the ship, they probably do the best in tips. G You can also
expect to tip for room service in cash at the time of service. You are also
expected to tip the Spa staff for massages or other services they provide as
well as the beauticians. The staff that do the babysitting or run the kiddie
camps are also tipped. In addition there is of course the luggage handlers
and when you do tours you are expected to tip both the guide and the driver.
The Matire `D is also tipped if he provides a service. He/She is responsible
for the performance of the wait staff so that should be taken into
consideration if they all happen to perform their duties very well. In
addition to the automatic tip added to your account, you may wish to add
extra to it either through the auto tips or in cash. You also may wish to
tip entirely by cash to the individuals and not have any auto tips. (This is
our choice as we feel tips are personal and a verbal thanks should go along
with the giving of the tip) In addition there are still some that have the
'head waiter' position who id between the Maitre `D and waiter and if he/she
does something special you should tip him as well. We had one that paid
special attention to my elderly mother personally bringing her a special
selection she could eat and even cut her meat for her every night into
bite-sized morsels. I gave him $100 because he made he cruise so special and
he did it because he wanted to.
Jim
Jim

Old January 29th, 2007, 04:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Diana Ball

"Todd Michel McComb" wrote:
Thanks for the remarks. We won't be getting room service, or such.

Todd,

If you know, forgive me, but perhaps you are unaware that the food delivered
to your room is included in your cruise fare, so the only additional cost is
the small gratuity to the staffer who delivers it. You will find a room
service menu in your cabin. Sometimes, it's nice to have breakfast
delivered. Frequently, I enjoy a pot of coffee or tea. My kids like to order
cookies and milk....

Have fun!

Diana Ball
Austin, TX

Old January 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Todd Michel McComb

In article ,
Diana Ball wrote:
If you know, forgive me, but perhaps you are unaware that the food
delivered to your room is included in your cruise fare, so the only
additional cost is the small gratuity to the staffer who delivers
it. You will find a room service menu in your cabin. Sometimes,
it's nice to have breakfast delivered. Frequently, I enjoy a pot
of coffee or tea. My kids like to order cookies and milk....

Thanks for the comments, Diana. Although I've only been on one other
cruise 11 years ago, and so don't know much about cruising, I do do
a lot of other vacation travel. So I kind of know what I like to do.
Room service just isn't our style. No negative judgement implied for
anyone else, of course....

Old January 29th, 2007, 02:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Jan 28, 6:09 pm, (Todd Michel McComb) wrote:
We won't be getting room service, or such.

Just so you know, room service is included in your cruise fare. Other
than a few dollars tip (depending on what you have delivered), there's
no additional charge for room service. Having that first cup of coffee
or tea delivered to your cabin in the morning is really a pleasant way
to start the day. I rarely use room service for anything other than
some tea, fruit a croissant for breakfast.

Lee

Old January 31st, 2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K

On 1/29/2007 1:05 AM Todd Michel McComb wrote:
In article ,
Diana Ball wrote:

If you know, forgive me, but perhaps you are unaware that the food
delivered to your room is included in your cruise fare, so the only
additional cost is the small gratuity to the staffer who delivers
it. You will find a room service menu in your cabin. Sometimes,
it's nice to have breakfast delivered. Frequently, I enjoy a pot
of coffee or tea. My kids like to order cookies and milk....

Thanks for the comments, Diana. Although I've only been on one other
cruise 11 years ago, and so don't know much about cruising, I do do
a lot of other vacation travel. So I kind of know what I like to do.
Room service just isn't our style. No negative judgement implied for
anyone else, of course....

I did the math regarding the $10.00 a day per person for tipping. It
worked out to very close to what I would tip if I had the cash with me.
So, I just left it in place as a convenience.

As for room service, granted there is more than enough dining options on
board. But, there isn't any kind of convenience shop on board. If you'd
like a light snack after the buffet or restaurants are closed and the
coffee shop is closed...that's when room service comes in handy. There
are also those rare occasions that you are having so much fun doing some
activity on board or at port of call that you miss dinner completely.
Do not fear, room service is here! In the unlikelihood that you are so
seasick that you can't present yourself to the dining room. You can
order something mild from room service.

--
____
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Todd Michel McComb

In article ,
jim wrote:
... when you do tours you are expected to tip both the guide and
the driver.

What sort of tips are customary in Alaska shore excursions? Most
of my tours have been with park rangers, and you don't tip park
rangers.

Old January 31st, 2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jim

"Todd Michel McComb" wrote in message
In article ,
jim wrote:
... when you do tours you are expected to tip both the guide and
the driver.

What sort of tips are customary in Alaska shore excursions? Most
of my tours have been with park rangers, and you don't tip park
rangers.

Todd, sorry I can't advise you on that as I have not cruised to Alaska. Most
places that I have taken a tour at we usually give the guide a $5 tip for
both of us and a dollar or two to the driver.
Jim