Carnival Glory - Advice

Old March 4th, 2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Carnival Glory - Advice

Hello,
Looking at taking the Glory March 24-31/07.
Ports: 7 Day Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral (Orlando)

Day 1 Port Canaveral 4:00 PM
Day 2 At Sea
Day 3 Cozumel 10:00 AM 7:00 PM
Day 4 Belize 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Day 5 Costa Maya 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Day 6 At Sea
Day 7 Freeport 8:00 AM 7:00 PM
Day 8 Port Canaveral 7:00 AM

Seeking Advice on:
1. How did you enjoy the stops?
2. Best place to book through? AAA, directly with Carnival?
3. Best location to limit walking (Had knee surgery a few weeks ago
using a cane. Age 49 and typically fit).
4. Any one have a PROMO code I can use?
5. Advantages for former Carnival Cruisers?
6. How to get a free upgrade.
7. Advantages for last minute booking. If any.
8. How not to get screwed.

Thanks
N. Angell

Old March 4th, 2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jim

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello,
Looking at taking the Glory March 24-31/07.
Ports: 7 Day Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral (Orlando)

Day 1 Port Canaveral 4:00 PM
Day 2 At Sea
Day 3 Cozumel 10:00 AM 7:00 PM
Day 4 Belize 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Day 5 Costa Maya 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Day 6 At Sea
Day 7 Freeport 8:00 AM 7:00 PM
Day 8 Port Canaveral 7:00 AM

Seeking Advice on:
1. How did you enjoy the stops?

To each his own. I love Belize and even Costa Maya. Then again, I love to
cruise. G

2. Best place to book through? AAA, directly with Carnival?

Do NOT book through AAA. They are usually much more and not very cruise
smart. Use a Cruise Only TA or book directly

3. Best location to limit walking (Had knee surgery a few weeks ago
using a cane. Age 49 and typically fit).

You really don't have to walk much in Costa Maya as there are shops and
entertainment right there at the pier.

4. Any one have a PROMO code I can use?

See you TA or check CCL

5. Advantages for former Carnival Cruisers?

Not much right now unless you are platnuim and then you just get VIP
treatment

6. How to get a free upgrade.

Pay for it. G Seriously, if you book GTY make sure you will be satisfied
with the absolute worst cabin at that level as you could get it. You might
get a nice upgrade but always count on the worst possible cabin being
assigned to you so you will not be disappointed. Someone WILL get that cabin
and it will be a GTY cruiser.

7. Advantages for last minute booking. If any.

Sometimes you can get a bargain but airfare could eat those saving up and
then some. You also will not have much of a selection of cabins and triples
and quads will normally be sold out as are the better cabins and the lower
cabins so the cheap prices might also be gone.

8. How not to get screwed.

Use a TA that you trust, can contact immediately and talk to on the phone.
Buy insurance

Thanks
N. Angell

You are welcome,
Jim

Old March 4th, 2007, 11:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"jim" wrote:

3. Best location to limit walking (Had knee surgery a few weeks ago
using a cane. Age 49 and typically fit).

You really don't have to walk much in Costa Maya as there are shops and
entertainment right there at the pier.

They also have transportation from the boats at least to the edge of
the dock ( I did not use them, so I don't remember if they went all the
way to the edge of the shops. Anyone?
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jim

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
"jim" wrote:

3. Best location to limit walking (Had knee surgery a few weeks ago
using a cane. Age 49 and typically fit).

You really don't have to walk much in Costa Maya as there are shops and
entertainment right there at the pier.

They also have transportation from the boats at least to the edge of
the dock ( I did not use them, so I don't remember if they went all the
way to the edge of the shops. Anyone?

Yes they do Kurt and they are free. They also rent golf cart things that you
can use to take you back and forth to a village a bit down the beach.
Jim

Old March 5th, 2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Hello Again,
Can anyone tell me what exactly is an obstructed view for 7A balcony
cabin?

There is a $300 difference between an 8A unobstructed view and the one
noted above.

Thank you
N. Angell

Old March 5th, 2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Mar 5, 3:13 pm, wrote:
Hello Again,
Can anyone tell me what exactly is an obstructed view for 7A balcony
cabin?

There is a $300 difference between an 8A unobstructed view and the one
noted above.

Thank you
N. Angell

Not having a deck plan in front of me, I'll hazard a guess that with
the obstructed view cabin, you'll have a great view of the side of a
lifeboat out your window. You'll still enjoy the benefit of natural
light coming into the cabin, but you won't be able to see much other
than the boat from your window.

Lee

Old March 5th, 2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bob

On the Carnival Glory, there are no 7A cabins. 7A on the Spirit Class ships
only. The 7A Cat. has what they call French doors that open to a extremely
small balcony that has the life boats to look at.
ps.com...

Old March 6th, 2007, 08:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Changed From Carnival Glory - Advice to Carnival MIRACLE

Great catch. Yes, you are right. I'm embarrassed and have analysis
paralysis. We changed our plans today and I added to the other post by
mistake. We are now doing this: March 25-April 1
Tampa Depart 4pm
Grand Cayman
Cozumel
Belize City
Costa Maya
Tampa Arrive 8am

The ship is now the MIRACLE. I found a site with a picture and the
life boats are just below the balcony. (google search images) We
booked 7A instead of an 8A and saved $600. (We do OK but $600 is a lot
since my wife likes to buy too many gifts, bless her.) I'm hoping for
an upgrade. I really believe that some agents get priority and I'm
dealing with a small agent. After I book I suppose I will go to the
Carnival site an bug them via the Contact Us area. This will be our
third cruise with them. We first went in 1986 and then again in 2002.

I just discovered that there is another issue of concern down the
Dengue fever. I'm not sure what to do about that since we're leaving
soon and if we have shots they may not be effective in time. Bug Spray
w/DEET at 35% or more concentration is suggested. Maybe I'll post
another topic.

Thanks
N. Angell

Old March 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Frank F. Matthews

wrote:

[...]

If you are going to use 35% deet try to limit the contact that the
clothes treated with it have with your skin.

Old March 7th, 2007, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Mar 6, 3:54 am, wrote:
Great catch. Yes, you are right. I'm embarrassed and have analysis
paralysis. We changed our plans today and I added to the other post by
mistake. We are now doing this: March 25-April 1
Tampa Depart 4pm
Grand Cayman
Cozumel
Belize City
Costa Maya
Tampa Arrive 8am

The ship is now the MIRACLE. I found a site with a picture and the
life boats are just below the balcony. (google search images) We
booked 7A instead of an 8A and saved $600. (We do OK but $600 is a lot
since my wife likes to buy too many gifts, bless her.) I'm hoping for
an upgrade.

You might be able to save even more if you book it as a 7A guarantee.
I've had the most luck scoring great upgrades when I book guarantee
rather than assigned cabin. But, you have to be willing to be flexible
about cabin location. If there's a specific cabin location you want,
then picking a cabin upon booking is the way to go. But, since you're
hoping for an upgrade, I'm guessing that you're a little more flexible
about where your cabin ends up being, provided it's a better category
than a 7A?

I just discovered that there is another issue of concern down the
Dengue fever. I'm not sure what to do about that since we're leaving
soon and if we have shots they may not be effective in time. Bug Spray
w/DEET at 35% or more concentration is suggested. Maybe I'll post
another topic.

DEET's pretty strong stuff. I'd probably buy the strongest
concentration available (it is available in 100% strength) and then
spray it on my clothes - doing your best to avoid contact with skin. I
like dousing a bandana and then tying that around my neck. I've never
had an adverse reaction to DEET on my skin, but that's me. Should
never be used on children. I haven't found the lesser concentrations
to be particularly effective. Also, a few weeks before you leave,
start taking a B complex vitamin supplement daily. That's supposed to
keep insects away as well.Consider picking up the lightest weight long
sleeve pants and shirts that you can as a way to avoid bug bites. Lots
of "travel clothing" has venting all over, so you can stay relatively
cool yet your skin is protected from bugs (and UV rays).

Lee

Thanks
N. Angell