travel companion for cruise

Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
ccm

Default travel companion for cruise

Looking for a female travel companion, in 40's age range, moderately
active and adventurous but who knows how to slow down and enjoy the
simple things of travelling as well. I am a non smoker and don't
enjoy drunkedness nor companions of the like. I am a nurse and love
gardening. I am married and have one ten year old boy. I am looking
forward to travelling solo but it has been over 14 years since I have
done this. I used to travel all over the place backpacking and the
like and have never travelled with a group and I can't find a woman's
group for a travel destintion for March/ April so I had a cruise in
mind for the Southern caribbean at that time and hope that a like
travel companion will come through to share a cabin with me. We can
go our own ways if need be, as I am a very independent person. Hope
the right person reads this and sends me an email to discuss further
if we will be the right match. ccm

Old February 5th, 2007, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
ccm

ccm wrote:
[...]

Please who ever sent a reply with "go with your husband" was not
helpful. If it were possible we would but timing and finances and
child minding while in school is an issue. There are things as well.
Please only helpful responses. thank you ccm

Old February 5th, 2007, 12:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Feb 4, 8:23 pm, "ccm" wrote:
ccm wrote:
[...]

Hi ccm,

Being a married woman myself, and also having enjoyed vactioning solo,
I totally get where you're coming from! Have you considered just
cruising alone? If you can be flexible about dates, ships,
itineraries, etc., you can sometimes find a deal that won't include a
huge single supplement. I've cruised a few times solo, and I love it -
no problem meeting lots of people, no conflicts sharing a cabin with
whom it turns out you might not be compatible, vacation at your
schedule, your routine, your pace. It's really a great way to go.

Have you considered a Windjammer? I went on the Yankee Clipper a few
years back with a friend of mine, and we became friends with two women
that had been assigned to share a cabin....I think Windjammer Barefoot
Cruises matches passengers pretty often for cabin shares. I don't
think the mass market lines offer shares anymore...that is, if you
can't find someone to cruise with you.

Anyway, consider going solo. It's great.

Lee

Old February 5th, 2007, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.

I guess being a male I would ask that you please enlighten me why in the
world (other than money) you would risk ruining your whole cruise by
possibly getting the roommate from hell and a perfect stranger at that.
Maybe this sounds harsh but if you can't afford to go solo then wait until
you can.
I just wouldn't want a stranger in my cabin for 7-10 days.

"LeeNY" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old February 5th, 2007, 01:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Feb 5, 7:38 am, "Jr." wrote:
I guess being a male I would ask that you please enlighten me why in the
world (other than money) you would risk ruining your whole cruise by
possibly getting the roommate from hell and a perfect stranger at that.
Maybe this sounds harsh but if you can't afford to go solo then wait until
you can.
I just wouldn't want a stranger in my cabin for 7-10 days.

I tend to agree with you (!!!!!), which is why I suggested that the OP
strongly consider going solo, if the single supplement isn't too off
putting. I'd much rather pay a little more and have my own space than
share a cabin with a stranger, which I don't think I'd ever do. Last
cruise I took was with a friend of mine, but both of us really "get"
our independence and need for privacy, so even though we were
travelling together, we each got our own cabin - spent a lot of our
waking hours doing things together, but also had a chance for a
retreat when we wanted solo time. Worked out great and I would travel
that way again in the future.

Lee

Old February 5th, 2007, 02:44 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"LeeNY" wrote:

On Feb 5, 7:38 am, "Jr." wrote:
[...]

My mother in her later years often traveled with a friend. I met
several older female duos on our cruises. These are not paid
companions or anything like that - the two ladies each pay their own
way.

Actually, even married people may want privacy sometimes. The
difference between a married couple and two friends or travel
companions is that the married couple may know when their partner
wants to do something by themselves.

Old February 5th, 2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.

Yes, but friends are different than advertising for strangers to share a
cabin.
That is what I meant I didn't understand.
I have several friends I would go with but not a stranger.

"LeeNY" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old February 5th, 2007, 03:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Feb 5, 10:22 am, "Jr." wrote:
Yes, but friends are different than advertising for strangers to share a
cabin.
That is what I meant I didn't understand.
I have several friends I would go with but not a stranger.

Dude!!! I'm agreeing with you!!! Read what I wrote.

Lee

"LeeNY" wrote in message

ups.com...

Old February 5th, 2007, 03:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.

I know you are agreeing with me.
But nobody has really answered the burning question as to WHY someone would
bunk with a total stranger for a week.
That is what I meant.
Sorry for the confusion.

"LeeNY" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 5, 10:22 am, "Jr." wrote:
Yes, but friends are different than advertising for strangers to share a
cabin.
That is what I meant I didn't understand.
I have several friends I would go with but not a stranger.

Dude!!! I'm agreeing with you!!! Read what I wrote.

Lee

"LeeNY" wrote in message

ups.com...