HELP: how to get around Lufthansa`s Thai visa requirement?

Old October 25th, 2003, 12:27 PM
AsiaWanderer

Default HELP: how to get around Lufthansa`s Thai visa requirement?

hi all,

I`ll be travelling from Berlin to Bangkok for 6 months and
then returning to Berlin. The travel agent here says that
Lufthansa and other local airlines require a visa for the
length of your stay, or they may not let you board. I don`t
think that the Berlin Thai embassy will give me a 6 month visa,
so, what to do?

All this is silly of course, since the Thais give on-arrival one
month visas ( and I never had a visa boarding requirement
when travelling from the US to Bangkok on long stays), but
I don`t want to get bumped off the flight.

thanks in advance
Old October 25th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Graham Harrison

1). Check with LH
2). Check with the Thai embassy.

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Old October 25th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Miss L. Toe

"AsiaWanderer" wrote in message
om...
hi all,

I`ll be travelling from Berlin to Bangkok for 6 months and
then returning to Berlin. The travel agent here says that
Lufthansa and other local airlines require a visa for the
length of your stay, or they may not let you board. I don`t
think that the Berlin Thai embassy will give me a 6 month visa,
so, what to do?

All this is silly of course, since the Thais give on-arrival one
month visas ( and I never had a visa boarding requirement
when travelling from the US to Bangkok on long stays), but
I don`t want to get bumped off the flight.

thanks in advance

Are you saying that you are planning to get a one-month visa on arrival and
then stay longer ?

Old October 25th, 2003, 02:49 PM
None

For starters, the airlines don't require the visa, the countries being
visited do, the airlines just don't want to fly you into a country without
the proper papers, because they can end up getting fined for doing it.

Extended stay visas are granted by just about every country, just contact
their respective consulates and ask for it.

PS - Bangkok for six months! I'm jealous! I hope you'll take lots of time
to soak in the entire country - it's beautiful! Have fun!!!

Old October 25th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Chris Blunt

"AsiaWanderer" wrote in message
om...
hi all,

I`ll be travelling from Berlin to Bangkok for 6 months and
then returning to Berlin. The travel agent here says that
Lufthansa and other local airlines require a visa for the
length of your stay, or they may not let you board. I don`t
think that the Berlin Thai embassy will give me a 6 month visa,
so, what to do?

All this is silly of course, since the Thais give on-arrival one
month visas ( and I never had a visa boarding requirement
when travelling from the US to Bangkok on long stays), but
I don`t want to get bumped off the flight.

Its actually a requirement of Thai Immigration, not the airlines.

I think they're getting more strict on this as I never used to get
asked in the past. Last week the Cathay Pacific check-in agent in
London asked if I held a visa for Thailand. I told him I did have an
onward ticket that had already been issued and was being held for me
to collect at a travel agent in Bangkok. He accepted that without any
further checking.

Old October 25th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Sjoerd

"AsiaWanderer" schreef in bericht
om...
hi all,

I`ll be travelling from Berlin to Bangkok for 6 months and
then returning to Berlin. The travel agent here says that
Lufthansa and other local airlines require a visa for the
length of your stay, or they may not let you board. I don`t
think that the Berlin Thai embassy will give me a 6 month visa,
so, what to do?

All this is silly of course, since the Thais give on-arrival one
month visas ( and I never had a visa boarding requirement
when travelling from the US to Bangkok on long stays), but
I don`t want to get bumped off the flight.

And here are the official rules from Thai Immigration:

Passport required (recommended to be valid 6 months after
period of stay. However, Thai immigration will accept passports
which are only valid for period of intended stay).

Visa not required for a max. stay up to 30 days provided
holding confirmed return/onward ticket. Extension up to 10 days

possible. Fee THB 500.- (1 photo required).

If holding APEC Business Travel Card together with passport:
visa not required.

Entry may be refused if of "hippy" appearance.

Airline staff may travel on standby ticket together with an
airline-identity card.

Visitor must hold all documents for next destination.

If being over 12 years of age visitor must also hold
sufficient funds (e.g. letter of credit, vouchers, MCOs
or well-known credit cards) to cover period of stay (not
applicable if holding re-entry visa).

Non-compliance with the visa regulations will result in:

- refusal and immediate deportation of passenger;
- fines for the airline of THB 20,000,-;
- overstay fine for passenger of THB 200,- per day.

Timaticweb Version 1.3

Old October 27th, 2003, 02:59 PM
DALing

and while that's true, since you can leave Thailand and re-enter once per
month and get anothr 30 day 'tourist status', it's not an issue. (the
Cambodian border is a day-trip away)