No Carnival pier in the Riviera Maya

Old October 6th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Paul

Default No Carnival pier in the Riviera Maya

It appears that Carnival's attempt to destroy Xcaret and Playa Del Carmen by
building a cruise pier there is not going too well. The local residents,
long time visitors and merchants, after seeing the damage Carnival has done
to Cozumel, St. Thomas, Key West, Nassau, etc. have banded together to stop
the project.
A local government official, motivated by fears that Carnival cruisers would
destroy the
environment, denied Carnival a construction permit for the dock.

Here is a link to the story

http://tinyurl.com/pwrv

I don't understand this.

I mean what could possibly be better for the residents and longtime visitors
to Xcaret that several thousand drunken Carnival passengers crawling all
over their pristine coral reefs and small towns very day. Those of us that
visit the Riviera Maya can think of nothing we'd rather have in Playa Del
Carmen than a fleet of Carnival cruise ships.

Think of it. We could replace all the quaint ethnic cantinas and shops with
hair braiding stations, straw markets, tanzanite stores, discount cigarette
and liquor stores and of course dozens of bars so the Carnival crowd can get
stinking drunk and party. In the afternoons we could all sit on shore and
watch the Carnival booze cruisers sail past and throw their beer cans and
plastic drink glasses at the dolphins, fish, baby turtles and birds living
at the wildlife refuge.

If we're lucky, in no time at all we can transform the Riviera May into
another Carnival tourist trap and have tens of thousands of losers trek
ashore every day to drink and raise hell.

Now what's wrong with that?

Clearly this is an evil conspiracy. Carnival's reputation and that of the
passengers they carry has nothing at all to do with it.

Old October 10th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Mike Cordelli

The news according to the retard.

The word Cozumel does not appear in this story.
St Thomas is not mentioned in this story.
Key West does not appear in this story
Nassau does not appear in this story

There is no mention of any permit denied in the story at the stupid link you
provided.

Had you provided a link to the current story from this month, not one from
January, people could have just read that Carnival and it's local partner
already have permits from the federal government and the environmental
authorities necessary to build the terminal. You forgot to mention that
this same official would be more then willing to hand over the permit, and
quoting, "municipal president Gabriel Mendicuti said he would only hand over
the construction permit if Carnival agreed to pay a $30 tax for every person
using the port". Carnival wouldn't pay the $30 per person, and they didn't
get the permit. They will wait until he's out of office next year and do it
then.

Yup, sounds like this guy had real environmental concerns, and hey, they
would all go away for $30 a person.

Carnival wouldn't pay his demands for a bribe.

the real story, not some stupid link from January:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ss/6909870.htm

There is no mention at all the local official was at all motivated by
environmental concerns, he just wanted his $30 per person.

And you complain when people add a telephone number to a press release, you
totally try to change the news as it's reported.

Duh.

Old October 10th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Paul

Cordelliisms

"...more then willing..."

"...at all the local official was at all..."

2 points

. com...