Why do Americans not travel more internationally ?

Old November 6th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Dave Smith

Default Why do Americans not travel more internationally ?

AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:44:49 GMT, lid wrote:

The per capita percentage of Americans that travel internationally for
pleasure is low compared to other western nations.

Can you travel 4000 miles in Europe and stay in the same country?
How about 1000 miles?

You are being generous. You can start off in Denmark, drive into Germany , be in
Holland for lunch, then proceed through Belgium and be in France for dinner.....
four countries in a day of easy driving. Living in southern Ontario, it is a 7
hour drive to Quebec to the east, or two days of driving to get to Manitoba.

A more valid comparison would be to compare the percentage of Americans who
have traveled to another state to Europeans who have traveled to another
country.

FWIW, my wife was navigating on a trip a few years ago and was totally messed up
in Holland. We had a map the same size as our provincial road map. One one
occasion we were headed for a small town north east of Arnhem. She told me the
exit was a few miles after we crossed a river, but the exit was about 200 yards
past the river. Not a problem, there is a place ti turn around about 10 miles
down the road. It turned out to be less than a mile. She was having a really bad
time adjusting to the difference in scale of the map. It took us less than 4
hours of easy driving from the very north of Holland to Belgium. It takes me
longer than that to get to an annual vacation site, and it is not even half way
up on the map of the southern half of our province.

Old November 7th, 2005, 12:04 AM
DevilsPGD

In message Alan S
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 03:41:38 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

Of course the distance issue is a factor too, I can fly 9 hours without
leaving my country.

So can I. You have slow planes too?

I suspect you mean something like USVI-Alaska or Hawaii. Try
Norfolk Island - Cocos-Keeling. But I must admit, the
populations in those places are a little smaller:-)

Ask a Russian how long he/she can fly and stay in their
country. Provided the Aeroflot stays aloft long enough.

Nope, I'm in Canada... It's a nine hour flight from here to Halifax (on
the far coast)...

--
If you take a shower, where do you put it?
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Alan S

On 6 Nov 2005 09:07:21 -0800, "markbyrn"
wrote:

Alan,

First, I have to compliment on your ability to communicate with native
Louisianans. Did you study Cajun & Creole English in Australia or did
you drink heavily to mimic the word slurring accents? Although you
have to give credit to Americans who are able to name one European
country besides London, I'm perplexed that they all think Australia is
next to Hungary. Perhaps there's an inordinate number of Aussies who
travel to Budapest for sex vacations and cheap beer. Of course, I
wouldn't have known where Australia was either until I had the
misfortune to travel to Woomera on 'business'. I can't tell you
exactly where Woomera is because I'd have to kill you if I revealed it,
but Woomera is located in the middle of the Dunga somewhere in South
Australia. It's not called Dunga for nothing and it's so desolate,
that spiders & snakes kill people just for sport.

Mark

Woomera is on the southern extremity of the GAFA. The Great
Australian **** All. The GAFA covers the region between the
channel country to the east, the Tanami to the north and the
Nullarbor to the west:-)

I studied Creole with Tech-Sgt Suggs in Cody Hall, Keesler
AFB in 1967. After 13 weeks we had just worked out his
intro. Unfortunately, it was a 13-week course, so that
didn't leave a lot of time to study CPN/4 GCA radar. We
spent at least half of our evenings each week commuting to
the French Quarter by Greyhound.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Alan S

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:55:58 GMT, Zane
wrote:

(I think the Australian
pronunciation of that central "a" may sound stranger to American ears
than some Australians realize.)

I ended up with a standard spiel "A" as in apple - and still
watched them write my name as Ilin.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Cathy Kearns

"PTravel" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 08:25:00 GMT, "PTravel"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Hunh? What legislation encourages Americans to obtain passports?

The legislation doesn't " encourage" it demands!

Although there are also other sweeping changes to the type of
passports one must now have to enter the US ( digital ) The
Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 now requires
all people in The Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada to
have a valid passport to enter or re enter the US.

There is no legislation that requires Americans to have passports within
their own country. Please read the thread and stay on topic.

Thanks.

Perhaps our friend is confused, and thinks the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama,
Mexico and Canada are all part of the US?

Old November 7th, 2005, 02:04 AM
larry

"markbyrn" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've never had so much fun as reading all these sweeping
generalizations. Such good food for thought - like eating the 1420
calorie Carl's Jr Monster Burger. And now you know why Americans
invented cargo pants.

And all you have done is reinforce the view you are trying to belittle.

Old November 7th, 2005, 02:21 AM
Julie

RJ wrote:
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 20:32:29 GMT, "Julie"
wrote:

"Zane" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:29:51 GMT, "Julie"
wrote:

(snip)

For the same reason that you rarely read anything in their papers about
international events or happenings.

How absurd.

The rest of the world doesn't really
exist for a lot of Americans. They are not interested in the rest of the
world - only about themselves.

Nor does it for a "lot" of Australians.

Texas has roughly the same population as Australia. I'll lay odds
that the average Texan knows more about Australia than the average
Australian knows about Texas. (My justification for that "informed"
opinion is probably as questionable as yours.)

Go to their country and talk to them - the things they believe about the
rest of the world is unbelievable.

Please straighten us out --- there are a bunch of us right here.

Zane

I've been to Texas - I've spoken to the Texans - I know what they
believe!!!!!

I don't believe you.

RJ

What don't you believe - that I have been to Texas or that I have
spoken to Texans.

Who are you to call me a liar!!!!!!!!

I was there in 2003 - my son and his wife lived in Houston for 2 years
and I visited them. I didn't just pass through I actually lived with
them so I know what I am talking about.

I am waiting for your apology

Typical!!!

Julie

Old November 7th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Maisie

I'm always surprised that people in the USA don't travel outside more.
I'm on a budget and every time I try to plan a trip in the States I
realize I can get a better deal if I go to some place in Europe or
Mexico.

Old November 7th, 2005, 02:34 AM
larry

wrote:

(snip)

For the same reason that you rarely read anything in their papers about
international events or happenings.

How absurd.

The rest of the world doesn't really
exist for a lot of Americans. They are not interested in the rest of the
world - only about themselves.

Nor does it for a "lot" of Australians.

Texas has roughly the same population as Australia. I'll lay odds
that the average Texan knows more about Australia than the average
Australian knows about Texas. (My justification for that "informed"
opinion is probably as questionable as yours.)

Go to their country and talk to them - the things they believe about the
rest of the world is unbelievable.

Please straighten us out --- there are a bunch of us right here.

And again,this is the attitude that makes Americans so universally loved
everywhere.
Your point on Texas is valid but most schoolkids could at least point to the
US on a map.A lot of Americans could'nt find a lot of their own states on a
map let alone a whole continent - like Australia sorry Austria.:-)
I'm afraid that the attitude that everything is better in the US is widely
held by it's citizens.And you know what - it's simply not true.

Old November 7th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Bryan

wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 02:59:29 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

larry wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

The per capita percentage of Americans that travel internationally for
pleasure is low compared to other western nations.

This seems strange, given the relatively high standard of living and
disposable income of Americans.

Although there has been a recent spike of US citizens obtaining
passports, thi sis mainly due to recent legislation and it is doubtful
the passports will increase the amount of travel outside North
America.

Why is the international travel so low ?

Partially because you have to go farther than 100 km to cross a border
for
most folks in the US.

The passport spike is because it will be needed for travel in North
America soon.

Probably about the same proportion of US citizens have been 200 miles
away
from home they just do that within the US.

These answers are classic US thinking - stats v reality.It does not
answer
the question.
I live in Australia where sometimes you have drive all day just to get a
beer.So waht?I travel the world extensively because I have the means and
like to see other countries and meet different cultures.
Americans as a whole are extremely insular, with many not even knowing
much
about their own country let alone anything OS.The 'ignorance' is
astounding
and accounts for a lot of the stuff ups in foreign policy application.
Having said that, you could'nt wish to meet more friendly,helpful and
grscious people than the Americans - home and abroad.
The only state in the US I have been to is Alaska.Have loved all the
other
states - great country,great people.

You clearly lack experience. There is little difference in attitudes.
The question is always phrased in terms of international borders and
structured thus to create an artificial difference.

Frank:
What ARE you talking about?

Personally I agree with the Aussie and I have no idea of what you are
trying to say when you state " The question is always phrased in terms
of international borders and structured thus to create an artificial
difference."

However, that is secondary to the original question.
I originally asked a simple and serious question about the reason why
Americans do not travel internationally as much as people in other
parts of the world seem to do and the discussion immediately evolved
to how big the USA is and how Americans can drive the same distance as
those in Europe and still be in their own country. Sure you can but
crossing a border into New Mexico from Texas is hardly the same as
crossing a border from Slovenia to Italy or anywhere in the US into
Europe.

Let's try the original question again and rephrase
Why do so few Americans travel "abroad" ( overseas ) for pleasure
compared to those in other nations?

I work in the travel industry and have had the opportunity to ask
Americans but those are the ones that are traveling. The problem is
that one doesn't get to meet the ones that don't.

Is the reason fear? Is it lack of interest in other cultures? Is it
lack of time? What????

My lack of interest in travel outside the U.S., barely outside California,
is due to my lack of interest in other cultures and a quiet contentment with
the variety of cultures, geography, and activities available for my
experience without needing to travel far. I also do not enjoy the hassle
and discomfort of air travel. As far as lack of time, it is limited and I
choose to do the things (skiing, sailing, camping) I enjoy doing when
vacation opportunities arise. I'm not afraid of travel; just don't enjoy
the hassle of the journey, but love the destinations. That's just me and I
doubt it applies to most.