Tanzania Sugested Routes of Travel ....got 4 weeks to play with

Old January 29th, 2004, 04:08 PM
BAC

Default Tanzania ....got 4 weeks to play with .....Thanks

Ya, understood, it a little scary driving in 3rd world countries. We'll see
what happens. Having a (good) guide can make your trip so much more alive.
Its still nice to feel the freedom of a rented car. It helps to have a
traveling companion as a navigator and to tell you when your on the wrong
side of the road. Left handed roundabouts always screw me up. I like what
Hans has to say about taking a GPS in Africa, makes sense. If you get lost
just follow the arrow back the way you came.

"Liz" wrote in message
In message
"BAC" wrote:

Scarily expensive. I know I'll have to drop a buck or two I just got to

get
over the pricing and go for it. World Wide has got my knees

shaking....hang
on, take a deep breath and slowly open the wallet ;-)

Remember, these prices are based on expensive accommodation.
Also probably the flights from UK are included, whereas I've noticed that
sometimes with US safari pricings, flights are extra (depends on the
company). In the UK, it often seems to make sense to book flights with the
same company, as they have usually negociated discounts.

Thanks for the info...I keep thinking that when you break down the
cost...park fees, transportation cost, guides, driver, food and lodging

plus
profit it all adds up. I usually will rent a car for a couple of days

when
I'm on the road to break away form the pack...have any advice on a short
road trip?

Someone else will have to advise.
For the safari (game viewing) part of the trip, the guide is more than

worth
his pay, which is very little by our standards anyway. Then, of course,
you're paying for his accommodation (usually in drivers' quarters) and

food
too.
For the other things you're interested in, it might be worth doing it
yourself, I wouldn't do it, and not only because I have no vehicle
maintenance/repair skills! Others do it, though.
I'd consider it in Namibia if I weren't on my own, but not in East Africa.

Liz
--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles; Namibia

Old January 29th, 2004, 04:12 PM
BAC

And always ask more that one person for directions. Ask enough people and
your bound to average out. I like the GPS idea. The Sat phone is a cool one
too

"Hans-Georg Michna" wrote in message
"BAC" wrote:

have any advice on a short road trip?

Well, entire trips are completely planned, including loadable
GPS routes, on http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm. You have
probably already seen them.

However, they are not short, and they are in Kenya, not
Tanzania. For Kenya I have a few proposals:

One short trip, actually a full day trip, is to spend the day in
a rented car in Nairobi National Park. When it is entirely dry
and you're a bit careful, you don't even have to use a
four-wheel-drive and can use a normal limousine. I've done this
occasionally to spend a free day out in the bush.

Another trip that I think can be done quite nicely is up north
in the Rift Valley, particularly to Lake Nakuru, but even up to
Lake Bogoria and Lake Baringo. These are tarmac roads (paved
roads in Kenyan parlance). You'd be better off with a jeep
nonetheless for driving inside the nature reserves, although it
could probably be done in dry weather with a normal car. I'm not
really sure here, because I always use a jeep when I leave
Nairobi.

If you decide to do a longer trip without having any experience,
I think you can do that if you can make the best use of two
technologies---GPS, so you don't get lost, and a satellite
phone, so you can call help if you get stuck. GSM phones will
not do, because of poor coverage. A third very important must is
to get lots of information, particularly about places, people,
and risks.

I don't really recommend it for a newcomer, but of course it can
be done.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old February 1st, 2004, 01:38 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

"BAC" wrote:

And always ask more that one person for directions. Ask enough people and
your bound to average out. I like the GPS idea. The Sat phone is a cool one
too

In Africa, at least in east Africa, you also have to learn to
read between the lines (or between the eyes) when you ask
somebody for directions. Out of politeness and friendliness
everybody will always give you directions anywhere, but when
they know where it is, the kind person sounds and looks
different. Everybody from Africa understands this, only the
foreign traveller is fooled.

OK, maybe I exaggerated slightly. :-)

Hans-Georg

--