What is the implication of not particiating with a muster drill?

Old February 11th, 2006, 05:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default What is the implication of not particiating with a muster drill?

"Neil Sullivan" wrote in message
On the Norwegian Spirit recently, passengers who missed the first drill

were
"ordered" to attend a make-up drill the following morning. While they

seemed
to be serious about it, I don't know what would happen if you skipped the
2nd drill.

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , DaFlaBear
wrote:

Just last week on the Enchantment of the Seas after the drill, we
went DIRECTLY to the Concierge Club with our life jackets. When we
got there there were at least three couples there already dressed for
dinner. There is no way in Hell they could have gone back to their
cabin after participating in the drill, changed clothes and dropped
off their life vests in that span of time. They just sat out the
drill in the Concierge Club.

That does not mean they were not caught and had to make up the drill
later. Royal Caribbean is the one cruise line I have been on that has
actually call out and checked off cabin numbers at the drills. So they
should know who missed the drill if they check off cabins. Other cruise
lines use another method. While the drill is going on the stewards
check every cabin during the drill, they even put a red card in the
cabin lock on one cruise line to indicate empty, and other crew members
check all the public areas for passengers. With the second method it is
probably more possible to hide somewhere and aviod the muster drill.

--
Charles

We were late...late flight...embarking once and the drill was going on as we
boarded. We got a note under the door that we needed to meet somewhere for
the drill....this was a couple days into the cruise. I forgot about it, but
really didnt plan to go anyhow and I never heard anything. This was pre-9/11
on NCL

Old February 11th, 2006, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , DaFlaBear
wrote:

[...]

Add Holland-America Line, Charles. We have been on 9 HAL cruises so far
(10th departs in less than a month..... yippee!), and on all of them they
did a roll call by cabin number. Once, when we were doing back-to-back HAL
cruises, we skipped the 2nd lifeboat drill, and we received a REALLY snarky
letter in our cabin a couple of days later!
My recollection is that Orient Line did a roll call by cabin number as well.

Old February 11th, 2006, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article , lj
wrote:

We were late...late flight...embarking once and the drill was going on as we
boarded. We got a note under the door that we needed to meet somewhere for
the drill....this was a couple days into the cruise. I forgot about it, but
really didnt plan to go anyhow and I never heard anything. This was pre-9/11
on NCL

Having a drill and everyone participating is some kind of international
maritime regulation. It seems that it is up to the cruise line on how
they get you to the drill and some cruise lines are more persistant
than others in getting 100% participation. They probably figure that
99% are going to follow instructions and participate and that is good
enough. They don't have to make threats etc. I don't think there is an
implication to not participating except some people think they are
special. I think it is a good idea to show everyone the route to the
muster station and show how to put on the lifejackets. And for everyone
to know the emergency signal. Also the lifejackets are not the same on
every ship and cruise line. One of the lines, I can't recall if it was
Carnival or NCL had an odd life jacket. The drill is a reminder to
everyone that there could be emergency situations. Muster drills are an
instance where I for one will be a sheep and attend the drill.

--
Charles
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

We have been on 9 HAL cruises so far (10th departs in less than a
month..... yippee!), and on all of them they did a roll call by cabin
number.

Thank you Duncan. I was trying to remember...and was pretty sure that HAL
did that.

As for missing a drill...the captain and cruise line are accountable (in the
USA) to the Coast Guard for compliance. And there are likely liability
issues involved.

Old February 11th, 2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

My recollection is that Orient Line did a roll call by cabin number as well.

I was on Orient Lines a few weeks ago. They took roll by cabin number.

Old February 11th, 2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Carnival or NCL had an odd life jacket. The drill is a reminder to
everyone that there could be emergency situations. Muster drills are an
instance where I for one will be a sheep and attend the drill.

I would rather not participate. I am willing to throw the dice figuring
that the cruise I am on will not be the one that has an accident. If it
were an option and legal, I would even be willing to sign a release saying
that neither I nor my family could sue the cruise line if I am killed or
injured.

Old February 11th, 2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

My cruise count is at 20, 7 on HAL, and they do require at least one member
from every cabin to be present.

I do not know what happens if you miss a muster drill. We have never chosen
to do that.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old February 12th, 2006, 12:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"PastaLover" wrote in message
Just curious, how serious is it it you don't participate in a muster
drill?

Depends on how serious you consider:
1. Knowing, for sure, exactly where your muster station is.
2. Having a crew member check to see if you have your lifejacket on
properly.
3 Causing a delay for other passengers while they double check your absence.
4. Ignorance of instructions given during the drill.

Ron

Old February 12th, 2006, 12:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Have been on 39 cruises,and never miss a muster drill,not only for our
safety,but for other passengers as well,but if push came to shove i
believe it would be every one for him or her self

(.a cruise lover.)