What to see in Seattle & Vancouver

Old May 1st, 2004, 05:41 PM
CGAR

Default What to see in Seattle & Vancouver

Hi,

We are visiting Seattle and Vancouver during memorial day weekend and
would like to know MUST-SEE places in the area.

Thanks.
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:17 PM
adjgiulio

"CGAR" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

We are visiting Seattle and Vancouver during memorial day weekend and
would like to know MUST-SEE places in the area.

I moved to Seattle two months ago and I can tell you what, in my opinion,
are the must-see places for a first time visitor (basically what I liked
more....).
On all the Seattle city Guides you'll find at the very first place of all
must-see list the Pike Place Market. I don't know, I lived 28 years in Rome,
Italy and the Pike Place Marked didn't tell me much. It's a market of fruit,
flowers an fish, there is a nice atmosphere but...not much else...the
beautiful view of the Olympica Peninsula Mountains aside. But for this view
I would suggest you to have a walk on the Waterfront. Try to walk along the
Waterfront north to south so that at acertain point, unexpectedly, Mt.
Rainier will appear right in front of you.
All the Seattle Center area is interesting. Here you find the Space Needle,
The Experience Music Project and lot of other nice stuff.
In downtown you shouldn't miss the Bill Speider's Underground Tour that will
give you an idea of how Seattle looked once upon a time.
It's not a secret that nature here is amazing. I would suggest you to visit
the Arboretum where the Japanese Gardes are also located.
I don't know if you like museums. If you do, I would point you out the
Museum of Flight and advise against the Seattle Asian Art Museum and the
Burke Natural History Musum that are quite not impressive (consider anyway
that I'm comparing those museums to the European standards...).
Good options are also the Boeing Plant Tour and the Woodland Zoo.
If I were you I wouldn't miss a walk around the University of Washington
Campus that is very nice. Here you can find perhaps one of the best views of
the Mt. Rainier looking south-east when you're on the so called Rainier
Vista boulevard.
Generally speaking what Seattle gives more than the usual American big city
are its amazing natuaral landscapes. The Peninsula Mountains on the west and
of the Cascade range on the east, the Elliot Bay, Mt. Rainier, the lakes...
I hope you'll find a nice weather or you will not be able to enjoy what's,
in my opinion, the best that the city can offer to a first time visitor.

Ciao, Giulio

Old May 1st, 2004, 09:27 PM
Susan Wachob

I've been to Seattle and Vancouver many times. Though I like Vancouver
overall, there's no one or two things that stand out especially. Do
spend some time in Stanley Park. It's lovely.

If I had two days in Seattle and it was my first trip, I'd probably
spend one day as follows:

One of my favorite things to do that I especially love is a ferry ride
to the San Juan Islands. Maybe overnight or maybe just there and back
since your time is limited. The scenery is breathtaking and the islands-
if you have time to explore them- are heavenly.

Then I'd take a peak at Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe which I'm only
suggesting as it's right there on the waterfront as you go up to Pike
Place Market. Both are things you sort of "must do". And right there on
the waterfront is a wonderful place to eat a huge seafood dinner. It's
called Louie's or Louie's something or other. Somewhat costly- but we
had a huge meal of fresh prime quality shell fish: clams, oysters,
prawns (large shrimp), crab (I think). Huge platter for two and
absolutely lucious. Worth a splurge!

Day 2:
I'd see the Music Experience in the morning and then I'd spend a chunk
of time around Pioneer square. Probably afternoon/evening- (shops, food,
interesting architecture, music, history, interesting people) and where
the underground tour begins.

The underground tour of Seattle is an absolute MUST! Unique to Seattle,
a real piece of history, fascinating, something interetsting to describe
to other when you get home, etc. Don't miss it. Make reservations ahead
of time- it could well be sold out over Memorial Day weekend.

It's alovely area for 2 weeks or 3 days. I've done both.

Enjoy!!

Susan

Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:04 AM

CGAR wrote:

We are visiting Seattle and Vancouver during memorial day weekend and
would like to know MUST-SEE places in the area.

The Folklife Festival, featuring outstanding music, food and crafts,
happens every Memorial Day weekend at the Seattle Center (where the
Space Needle is). Nominally free (they ask for a $5 donation); it's a
lot of fun and well worth your time.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:48 PM
mimi

"CGAR" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

We are visiting Seattle and Vancouver during memorial day weekend and
would like to know MUST-SEE places in the area.

Everybody has made good suggestions for Seattle. In Vancouver, I especially
like the Granville Market, Stanley Park and its aquarium, and, if you are
driving, the anthropological museum at the University of British Columbia.
The latter is notable both for its architecture and for its contents,
especially the totem poles.

Marianne

Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:36 AM
Susan Wachob

I totally forgot to mention the absolutely best thing in the Vancouver
area- the UBC Anthropological Museum. An amazing collection of NW Coast
First Nations people's artifacts. Breathtaking!!! Not to miss! Thanks
Marianne for mentioning it-

I also watched some guys play cricket and one of the players explained
it to me. Nice to finally understand what otherwise appears to be the
slowest activity ever conceived of. I actually sort of enjoy watching it
now (for a while)- and didn't take long to learn to understand.

Susan

Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:22 AM
Icono Clast

Susan Wachob wrote:
I also watched some guys play cricket and one of the players explained
it to me. Nice to finally understand what otherwise appears to be the
slowest activity ever conceived of. I actually sort of enjoy watching it
now (for a while)- and didn't take long to learn to understand.

Really? I had a dozen Samoans try to explain it to me at
Crocker-Amazon Park (San Francisco) where they play on Sundays. They
failed because most of them didn't understand it well enough to
explain it.

You're lucky to have found someone able to explain it.

I watched a bit of a game on televion in London. Didn't understand
anything that I saw nor anything that the commentator said. It remains
a mystery.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:48 PM
~ rob ~

Default All about Cricket What to see in Seattle & Vancouver

"mimi" wrote in message

"CGAR" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

We are visiting Seattle and Vancouver during memorial day weekend and
would like to know MUST-SEE places in the area.

Everybody has made good suggestions for Seattle. In Vancouver, I

especially
like the Granville Market, Stanley Park and its aquarium, and, if you are
driving, the anthropological museum at the University of British Columbia.
The latter is notable both for its architecture and for its contents,
especially the totem poles.

Marianne

===================

Re cricket, see:

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/hoski...xplanation.htm

100% pure Canadian music at our website below....

Cheers.

-bg-

www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca

Old May 4th, 2004, 05:06 AM
~ rob ~

Default ***Lotsa Vancouver stuff here fer youse*** - What to see in Seattle & Vancouver

"CGAR" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

We are visiting Seattle and Vancouver during memorial day weekend and
would like to know MUST-SEE places in the area.

Thanks.

----------------------
Get a bus daypass, the public transit here is superb.

Visit Queen Elizabeth Park in Little Mountain; walk around the Courthouse
fountain and complex downtown; visit the Maritime Museum and nearby Kits
Beach; visit Stanley Park (walk around Lost Lagoon a bit, take some peanuts
and bread crusts.

Go to Stanley Park the same day you go to the Court House area...?

You can catch busses to Maritime Museum area (Kits Beach) and to Stanley
Park from right near the Court House Fountain.

Here's Vancouver's URL http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/

For a bit of Canadian music, here's our URL
www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca

Travel safe.

-bg-

Old May 4th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Badoodie

On 1 May 2004 09:41:28 -0700, (CGAR) wrote:

Hi,

We are visiting Seattle and Vancouver during memorial day weekend and
would like to know MUST-SEE places in the area.

Thanks.

Just to add to the Seattle suggestions:

Definitely an Argosy cruise. My mother just visited me in
Seattle for the first time and she said that the Locks cruise was the
best part of her trip.

http://argosycruises.com/flash.cfm

The Fremont troll.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/WASEAtroll.html

Don't know how much time you have but there is a Citypass that
provides a combined discount to six attractions, including the Space
Needle and Argosy Cruises.

http://citypass.net/cgi-bin/citypass...le&rand=179929

And please, please, whatever you do, don't go to Starbucks thinking
you have to just because you're in Seattle. Their coffee sucks. Try
one of the numerous carts or roadside shacks that you see all over the
place.

The spring weather has been GORGEOUS and hopefully it will be like
that when you visit!

--jules--