Jet Blue: 'Your flight is canceled, we won't re-route you, we won'tpay for a hotel, here's a refund of half your round-trip fare, now go away.'

Old July 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Default Jet Blue: 'Your flight is canceled, we won't re-route you, we won'tpay for a hotel, here's a refund of half your round-trip fare, now go away.'

This morning my mom (83) and her husband (79) were scheduled on JetBlue
1402 from SFO to FLL. When they got to the airport, they were informed
that the flight was canceled due to mechanical problems.

JetBlue told them that they could take a taxi to OAK and get a Jet Blue
flight to JFK and then a Jet Blue flight to FLL, but that Jet Blue
wouldn't pay for the taxi, and the taxi ride was about $90. The airline
wouldn't schedule them on the next day's flight 1402 because it was
already full. They wouldn't rebook them onto another airline (JetBlue
doesn't do this). They wouldn't pay for a hotel or meals (no point I
guess, since they wouldn't rebook them for the next day anyway). The
only thing JetBlue would do was to refund half the cost of the
round-trip ticket. They had to buy a full fare one-way ticket on another
airline. The one-way Continental flight cost much more than the whole
round-trip on JetBlue.

Apparently there are no longer any rules that require that an airline
get you to your destination. They are free to simply give you your money
back and tell you to get lost. It's a real problem with airlines like
JetBlue that have very few flights to each airport they serve.

JetBlue doesn't abide by Rule 240, and never had to deal with it because
they came into existence after the CAB was eliminated.
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Jul 9, 11:01*am, SMS wrote:
[...]

Yes so? It's tough, but then again, life is tough. They could've
taken BART to Oakland airport, it'd be a lot cheaper. But for them I
guess it's difficult to take your luggage on BART.

What about all the other people on this flight?
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

PeterL wrote:
On Jul 9, 11:01 am, SMS wrote:
[...]

I would have gone and taken them to OAK, but it really is too much for
them at their age to be dealing with the extra flight time and the plane
change at JFK. They chose the Jet Blue flight because there is no plane
change between SFO and FLL, which makes it much easier for them. SJC is
closer to me, but it's hard for one of them with the stairs on Delta or
Continental or U.S. Air.

I fly a lot, and have had flights canceled, but the airline always
either put me up for the night and sent me on a flight the next day, or
found a flight on their own, or another airline, to complete the
journey. It seems like the airline has an obligation to deliver the
second half of a round trip flight in some way. I would have expected
them to say "we're going to put you in a taxi to Oakland airport, and
route you on some of our other flights." I've had this happen between
SJC and SFO.

What about all the other people on this flight?

Same result. Here's your money, bye. Well I don't know if anyone took
them up on their offer to fly out of Oakland, with no transportation
between the airports, but according to my mother, no one appeared to be
interested in that option.

In any case, it's something to keep in mind when choosing one of the
second-tier airlines. I don't know what happens if the passenger doesn't
have enough money to buy a ticket on another carrier.
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"SMS" wrote:
This morning my mom (83) and her husband (79) were scheduled
on JetBlue 1402 from SFO to FLL.... the flight was canceled due
to mechanical problems.
JetBlue told them that they could take a taxi to OAK and get a
Jet Blue flight to JFK and then a Jet Blue flight to FLL, but that
Jet Blue wouldn't pay for the taxi, and the taxi ride was about $90.
The airline wouldn't schedule them on the next day's flight...
wouldn't rebook them onto another airline (JetBlue doesn't do this).
They wouldn't pay for a hotel or meals (no point I guess, since they
wouldn't rebook them for the next day anyway). The only thing
JetBlue would do was to refund half the cost of the round-trip ticket.
They had to buy a full fare one-way ticket on another airline.

-----------------------
Per the JetBlue website: "All customers whose flight is cancelled by
JetBlue will, at the customer's option, receive a full refund or
reaccommodation on the next available JetBlue flight at no additional
charge or fare. If JetBlue cancels a flight within 4 hours of scheduled
departure and the cancellation is due to a Controllable Irregularity,
JetBlue will also provide the customer with a $50 Voucher good for
future travel on JetBlue."

Old July 9th, 2008, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Jul 9, 12:10*pm, SMS wrote:
PeterL wrote:
On Jul 9, 11:01 am, SMS wrote:
[...]

You expect the airline to put 90 people on taxis to Oakland?
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

The only thing JetBlue would do was to refund
half the cost of the round-trip ticket

Did they also offer to refund the ENTIRE roundtrip flight, but you
wanted to keep the flight home since it was nonstop?

James
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

JamesStep wrote:
The only thing JetBlue would do was to refund
half the cost of the round-trip ticket

Did they also offer to refund the ENTIRE roundtrip flight, but you
wanted to keep the flight home since it was nonstop?

No. They refunded half the fare. The outbound flight had already taken
place.
Old July 10th, 2008, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Rog' wrote:

Per the JetBlue website: "All customers whose flight is cancelled by
JetBlue will, at the customer's option, receive a full refund or
reaccommodation on the next available JetBlue flight at no additional
charge or fare. If JetBlue cancels a flight within 4 hours of scheduled
departure and the cancellation is due to a Controllable Irregularity,
JetBlue will also provide the customer with a $50 Voucher good for
future travel on JetBlue."

They didn't do this. They said the next days flight was full. They
didn't go beyond the next day. It was not the customer's choice, it was
their choice.
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

SMS wrote:

[...]

What a drag, but I guess them's the breaks when you fly with budget
airlines. I recently returned from a trip planned at the last minute to
Estonia, Sweden and Denmark. I suppose I could have saved a few bucks buying
seats on a a second rate airline but opted instead for KLM and SAS. There
were 6 flights altogether and not one of them was cancelled or late. I guess
it was money well spent.

Old July 10th, 2008, 01:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"Dave Smith" wrote:
... I guess them's the breaks when you fly with budget airlines. I
recently returned from a trip planned at the last minute to Estonia,
Sweden and Denmark. I suppose I could have saved a few bucks
buying seats on a second rate airline but opted instead for KLM
and SAS. There were 6 flights altogether and not one of them was
cancelled or late. I guess it was money well spent.

I've had two experiences with Delta, reflecting the changing times:
In 1991, on a trip to Rome, IT, the originating leg was cancelled, so
a Delta manager put us on a plane unticketed, to Atlanta, where we
were rerouted, including a segment on Lufthansa, and arrived at our
destination within a few hours of our original arrival time.

Two years ago, we arrived in Newark on a flight from Rome, IT.
Delta cancelled our last leg home, citing weather at our destination.
First, we were sent to the Continental desk for a flight, but they
reneged, so we trudged back to Delta, where they said we could
fly with them /tomorrow/ and it was up to us to find a hotel. One
positive aspect, is that we found our checked bags in the Delta
luggage claim office.