Encounters with the TSA

Old November 6th, 2003, 03:24 PM
PTRAVEL

Default Encounters with the TSA

"Lansbury" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 20:18:38 GMT, mrtravel wrote:

If you have a problem, step aside.

If there is room, which there wasn't.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe you. I've never, ever, seen any airport (and
I've flown through all the ones you've mentioned more times than I can
count) where you couldn't simply get out of line and let others by you.

--
Lansbury

Old November 6th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Roland Perry

In message , PTRAVEL
writes
(2) don't put watches, cellphones and other metal objects on the belt

There's a simple solution to this (used in the UK). Station a *polite*
individual at the belt and have them ask people *politely* and *calmly*
whether they've remembered to empty all their pockets, check their
cellphone, and so on.

Please just make it easy for all of us. Don't hold up the line -- step
aside if you're having a problem. Don't assume that your
watch/pen/earring

wedding ring

/metal plate in your head that didn't set off the detector
in Portland, won't set it off in Detroit.

--
Roland Perry
Old November 6th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Roland Perry

In message , PTRAVEL
writes
I've never, ever, seen any airport (and
I've flown through all the ones you've mentioned more times than I can
count) where you couldn't simply get out of line and let others by you.

Including International arrivals at Atlanta?
--
Roland Perry
Old November 6th, 2003, 04:52 PM
PTRAVEL

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , PTRAVEL
writes
However, if you are holding up a line for whatever reason, the polite
thing to do is step aside.

When there's room. Often there isn't.

I've yet to see an airport in the U.S. where there isn't room to step aside.

--
Roland Perry

Old November 6th, 2003, 04:53 PM
PTRAVEL

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , PTRAVEL
writes
(2) don't put watches, cellphones and other metal objects on the belt

There's a simple solution to this (used in the UK). Station a *polite*
individual at the belt and have them ask people *politely* and *calmly*
whether they've remembered to empty all their pockets, check their
cellphone, and so on.

That's exactly what is done in the U.S.

Old November 6th, 2003, 04:54 PM
PTRAVEL

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , PTRAVEL
writes
I've never, ever, seen any airport (and
I've flown through all the ones you've mentioned more times than I can
count) where you couldn't simply get out of line and let others by you.

Including International arrivals at Atlanta?

Never been through international arrivals, but I've been through Atlanta
many, many times. I don't believe that, whereas the domestic side has
enough room to drive several trucks through, international is a narrow
corridor 3-feet wide.

--
Roland Perry

Old November 6th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Frank F. Matthews

mrtravel wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , PTRAVEL
writes

A little bit of common sense is called for, here.

Indeed, and one person thought it common sense to remove his cap...

Why? It's a metal detector. It can see through your other clothing, why
would it have a problem with a cap?

Most caps have a small bit of metal on top. On a tall person that puts
it close enough to the detector that it registers disproportional. To
avoid tripping the machinery it is better to hold any small metal that
you can centrally and forward of your body. Alas this then appears to
set off some of the security nuts. FFM

Old November 6th, 2003, 06:07 PM
mrtravel

LANs bury wrote:
On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 09:51:23 -0800, "PTRAVEL"
wrote:

And, of course, people like the OP, who hold up the line for whatever
reason,

I realised I was holding people up which I guess made me more flustered
instead of taking a deep breath and seeing what was causing the laptop
to stick.

You should have step aside to handle your problem.

Old November 6th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Roland Perry

In message , PTRAVEL
writes
There's a simple solution to this (used in the UK). Station a *polite*
individual at the belt and have them ask people *politely* and *calmly*
whether they've remembered to empty all their pockets, check their
cellphone, and so on.

That's exactly what is done in the U.S.

Well it's clearly not working, as the tales here confirm.
--
Roland Perry
Old November 6th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Roland Perry

In message , PTRAVEL
writes
I don't believe that, whereas the domestic side has
enough room to drive several trucks through, international is a narrow
corridor 3-feet wide.

It's worse than that. Perhaps you didn't read my earlier description.
It's a line for a thousand people, and about six sets of x-ray machines,
shoe-horned into a lobby.
--
Roland Perry