Encounters with the TSA

Old November 6th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Lansbury

Default Encounters with the TSA

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 08:35:41 +0100, AJC wrote:

Why would anyone need his help?

I'd be very happy to give him my professional help if he ever comes
through LHR.

--
Lansbury
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Chris Hill

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:44:07 +0000, Lansbury
wrote:

Last month fly from LHR to PDX out bound via LAX and home via ORD.

[snip]
[on return leg at PDX...]
At security the laptop came out first time a good start I thought, I
emptied my pockets into the tray and went to walk through the arch, (no
cap this time it went in my carry on at check in). Stopped going through
the arch told to take my watch off. Place watch in another tray and go
to walk through the arch. Stopped and told to take my trouser belt off.
I said it hasn't caused any problems anywhere else and got told "We keep
our machines set on a much more sensitive setting than other
airports.You haven't travelled through Portland before". Not the sort of
thing to be saying in public, still go back take my watch off and put it
in a tray and go to walk through the arch. Get stopped for a third time
and told to take my shoes off. I do so go back put them in a tray and go
through the arch. As I go through I said to the guy wouldn't it have
been easier to mention all three items in one go to which he replied
"Teach you to do it properly next time". I amazed myself at the self
control I exhibited while I bite my tongue.

I travelled through PDX in June and forgot that I had some change
in my pocket and my sunglasses in my shirt pocket. I set of the
bleep at the arch and was about to step back through it to put
the offending articles in a tray for X ray when the TSA operative
told me it was too late and then gave me the 3rd degree and
full wand over.

I did the same journey at the end of October and had no problem.
My wife's clogs set of the beep and she was subject to the wand
over - which I'm glad to say wasn't too intrusive. They mostly just
did the shoes.

Chris.

Old November 6th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Roland Perry

In message , Dick Locke
writes
That facility didn't exist before 9/11. Remember, this is searching
people getting *off* inbound flights (just after customs). And before
they are allowed into the main airport.

Into the secure area of the airport? I'd be reeeeealy surprised if
this is true.

It's true, the facility didn't used to be there. I've travelled to
Atlanta before 9/11 and it wasn't there. It's clearly a temporary
facility, filling what used to be the lobby at the top of the escalators
down to the transit.
--
Roland Perry
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Miss L. Toe

Just incase you have failed to grasp the point I wasn't objecting to
being searched or the need to be searched but to the behaviour of a
small number of TSA officials who I encountered on this trip. I made
those comments because I notice a sharp decline in the manners of the
TSA staff on this trip to previous ones, and is was consistent across
almost all those we had dealings with.

Strange, I've actually notice they were a lot better i.e. more friendly,
more professional, even a little humourous, this trip than previous recent
ones.

I guess at the end of the day, they are just Humans doing a boring job, and
some have a bad day, and/or go on a power trip.

Old November 6th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Miss L. Toe

True but when I went to the table there was no one else accept the wife
behind me.

Did she ask for privacy?

If you need to search inside a persons clothing you take them to a
private room, or tell them what you wish to do and ask if they object to
it being done in public. You don't wait for them to ask.

Every time (in the USA) I set of the beep with my bodily implant I get told
"I am just going to pat down that area, is that OK". The words appear to be
exactly the same, must be learned by rote. OK they are sometimes difficult
to understand due to the accent - especially the further West I go (and it
seems to be getting worse). But maybe I should say no next time and see what
happens :-)

Old November 6th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Steve

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , Dick Locke
writes
That facility didn't exist before 9/11. Remember, this is searching
people getting *off* inbound flights (just after customs). And before
they are allowed into the main airport.

Into the secure area of the airport? I'd be reeeeealy surprised if
this is true.

It's true, the facility didn't used to be there. I've travelled to
Atlanta before 9/11 and it wasn't there. It's clearly a temporary
facility, filling what used to be the lobby at the top of the escalators
down to the transit.

Yup, after everyone clears US Customs at the Intl terminal, including
passengers where ATL is the final destination, everyone must clear TSA
security (after clearing Immigrations and US Customs). There is no way to
exit the airport without re-entering the sterile area and taking the train /
tunnel.

CVG is setup the same way. Clear Security after Immigrations and Customs to
re-enter the sterile area, even CVG bound pax. Pax are no longer
considered 'sterile' in the US once they have had access to their suitcases,
etc., at the US Customs facilities.

Steve

Old November 6th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Lansbury

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 04:37:03 -0500, Tom Quinn
wrote:

Or do thieves simply fake e-tickets or boarding passes to get to airside and
then do their deeds, stealing laptops etc ?

One of the problems at Heathrow is persons who buy fully refundable
tickets. Go airside, go shoplifting in the duty free shops and leave
with their spoils and get a cash refund on their tickets.

--
Lansbury
Old November 6th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Lansbury

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:55:45 -0000, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

they are just Humans doing a boring job, and
some have a bad day, and/or go on a power trip.

don't we all at sometime or other. :-)

--
Lansbury
Old November 6th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Roland Perry

In message MPqqb.91407$9E1.455096@attbi_s52, Steve
writes
Yup, after everyone clears US Customs at the Intl terminal, including
passengers where ATL is the final destination, everyone must clear TSA
security (after clearing Immigrations and US Customs). There is no way to
exit the airport without re-entering the sterile area and taking the train /
tunnel.

Clearly a major design error when they rebuilt the International
terminal (for the Olympics).

The former International terminal (now called the "T gates, I think)
still committed the sin of mixing inbound and outbound passengers [1],
but they were all International passengers [2]. Once through customs you
exited direct to the public concourse, without needing to use that
infernal transit train!

Today, I don't understand why there isn't a shuttle-bus laid on for
ATL-destination passengers, from the exit of Customs to the public
concourse. Then you'd only need to screen the passengers transiting to
domestic flights.

[1] And unlike the domestic gates, non-passengers were barred from the
gate areas.

[2] So presumably you could have transited International without needing
to clear either immigration or customs.
--
Roland Perry