Need your help! One way car rental issues ... dilemas .... Please help!

Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:54 AM
Daniel

Default Need your help! One way car rental issues ... dilemas .... Please help!

I'm so happy I found your site after having only partial questions answered
all this time. I hope you guys can help me .. Here's the deal: My family and
I have a scheduled ship in New York (USA of course ) ), going to Europe.
Some of my family members insist on driving out-there. They will not fly.
Period. A train is also out of the question. So, I called Avis, Budget and
other car rental companies asking for a one-way-rental from Vancouver, BC,
Canada to New York City. After much frustration at the online reservation
bookings, I found, when I called them direct, that it is not possible to
rent a car in Canada and return it to the States. Ok, that plan was out. I
then had to figure out if a one-way trip is possible, at least within
Canada. Avis, for one, told me that I could rent here and return the car on
the opposite site of Canada, no problem. But not in USA. They also inforned
me, to my delight, that there would be NO "drop off" fee. That was a first
'cause some companies, here at least, charge a HUGE fee for dropping the car
off in a different location. Ok, so Avis was a good guy. I then realized
that I had to, somehow, get to NY after having the car dropped. I then
thought that I could rent another car in Niagara Falls (USA side) and drop
it off in the NY. Me thinks that's doable. I then realized that I could just
cross the border here and rent a car in Seattle, and go straight to NY and
drop it off there. Can someone please tell me (1) if I have a valid drivers
license and am a Canadian citizen (living there), could I rent a car across
the border (Seattle) and then drive to NY ? (2) Which companies are reliable
to deal with ? Avis ? Thanks!

Daniel

Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:17 AM
Daniel

Just wanted to add that I called Avis and they told me it wouldn't be a prob
for a resident of canada to rent a car in Seattle and drop it off in NY. I
was quoted about $300 + taxes for a 7 day "one way rental" which I was happy
about untill .... I was told that there would be a $1000 (+ tax) drop off
fee!!! Damn! Are there any other reliable companies that don't have this
"drop off" fee ?? Please advise!

Thanks again!

Daniel

Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:43 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Daniel" wrote in message
Just wanted to add that I called Avis and they told me it wouldn't be a

prob
for a resident of canada to rent a car in Seattle and drop it off in NY. I
was quoted about $300 + taxes for a 7 day "one way rental" which I was

happy
about untill .... I was told that there would be a $1000 (+ tax) drop off
fee!!! Damn! Are there any other reliable companies that don't have this
"drop off" fee ?? Please advise!

Why not drive to Niagara , walk over the bridge and then either
rent a car on the US side or catch the train to New York ?

Keith

Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:16 AM
Icono Clast

"Daniel" wrote:
I'm so happy I found your site

My car rentals are almost always one-way involving more than a
thousand miles 'tween points of origin and destination. I have never
been charged for dropping the car off at at a great distance.

I've used National.

You know it's a long way from Vancouver to New York. What you should
ask yourself is whether you should travel in the USA or Canada. I've
driven from Montréal to Vancouver and several crossings of the USA
taking various routes. My recommendation is the USA. Once you get East
of Calgary/Denver, the USA is more interesting. The countries,
especially near the border, are almost equally interesting but I give
the edge to the USA.
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:37 PM
ncurtis

"Daniel" wrote in message news:w8r7c.120831$Up2.69245@pd7tw1no...
Just wanted to add that I called Avis and they told me it wouldn't be a prob
for a resident of canada to rent a car in Seattle and drop it off in NY. I
was quoted about $300 + taxes for a 7 day "one way rental" which I was happy
about untill .... I was told that there would be a $1000 (+ tax) drop off
fee!!! Damn! Are there any other reliable companies that don't have this
"drop off" fee ?? Please advise!

Thanks again!

Daniel

According to http://www.smarterliving.com/usatoda...al.php?id=5426
Advantage and Budget don't charge a drop-off fee. There's probably a
catch--check on the details. But frankly, your family's preferences
have you boxed into a fiscal corner. All of the alternatives I can
think of--
*buying (and selling) a used car each way
*(very) long-term parking, and driving the same car back for a return
trip
*an "additional driver" on the contract (i.e., another would-be 1-way
traveler who wants to go in the opposite direction)
--are expensive. Good luck...

Nancy
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:51 PM
Smiley

try alamo.com

--
Please note: To avoid spam, all email to my Hotmail address (above) is automatically trashed. If you wish to send me an email, kindly say so in a post, before attempting to send the mail. I will notify you by a private email to which we can respond to.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:46 PM
Mark Brader

"Daniel" writes:
So, I called Avis, Budget and other car rental companies asking
for a one-way-rental from Vancouver, BC, Canada to New York City. ...
I found, when I called them direct, that it is not possible to
rent a car in Canada and return it to the States.

Sorry to hear it. It used to be possible; about 10 years ago I rented
a car from Avis in Victoria, BC, and returned it in Seattle.

I then had to figure out if a one-way trip is possible, at least within
Canada. Avis, for one, told me that I could rent here and return the car
on the opposite site of Canada, no problem. But not in USA.

I then realized
that I had to, somehow, get to NY after having the car dropped. I then
thought that I could rent another car in Niagara Falls (USA side) and drop
it off in the NY. Me thinks that's doable. I then realized that I could just
cross the border here and rent a car in Seattle, and go straight to NY and
drop it off there.

Yes, either one of those should be doable. But, you know, Seattle isn't
just across the border; you'd have to get there. This argues for using
Niagara Falls, where you can just walk across the Rainbow Bridge.

Note that if you prefer to drive through the US, you can still do this
with the Canadian-rented car (just tell the rental agency you're going
to do so), then bring it back into Canada to return it at Niagara Falls,
Ontario. But if you as a Canadian resident rent a car in the US, you
*can't* drive it into Canada; Canada Customs won't allow it.
--
Mark Brader "Hey, I don't want to control people's lives!
Toronto (If they did things right, I wouldn't have to.)"

Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:37 AM
Diva Martine

"Daniel" wrote in message
[...]

This may sound silly but I had a friend who had a similar problem and she
rented a UHAUL! The "one way" fee was significantly less than renting a car
and dropping it off. Of course, if you have a problem driving a Uhaul
around then it won't work. But you will have LOTS of room for luggage!

DIVa