Is Dresden worth the effort since Feb. of 1945?

Old November 15th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Hoyt Weathers

Default Is Dresden worth the effort since Feb. of 1945?

I have read, and am still reading, about Dresden during February of 1945 and since.

I am interested in small medieval towns in Germany which have retained their
character and charm.

My question is this: Is there now anything left worth the extra effort to go to
Dresden?

Old November 15th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Lennart Petersen

"Hoyt Weathers" skrev i meddelandet
I have read, and am still reading, about Dresden during February of 1945
and since.

I am interested in small medieval towns in Germany which have retained
their
character and charm.

--------------------------------------
Some gems are : Quedlinburg , Bamberg, Miltenberg
Others are Rothenburg ob der Tauber,Nördlingen and Donauwörth
Also Goslar,Wernigerode

My question is this: Is there now anything left worth the extra effort to
go to
Dresden?

Zwinger and the Semper Opera are both rebuilt.
Much of the city is rebuilt in a boring style but nevertheless I think
Dresden is worth a visit.

Old November 15th, 2004, 04:01 PM
punk

A few months ago, I was on a trip to Prague and Berlin and since the train
between these 2 cities passes by Dresden, I decided to spend about a day and
a half there. I did not regret it. Dresden is very easy to view since most
of the sites are centered on or around the Semper Opera on one side of the
Elbe River. Sites I enjoyed are the Semper Opera, Zwinger palace, the Green
Vault collection of jewelries and other treasures. By the way, the Green
Vault houses a 41-carat diamond which is the only diamond of significant
size found with a light green hue. I enjoyed the Sophienkeller restaurant
across from the Zwinger. I also took a trip the Pillnitz palace on the
outskirts of town, using a combination of tram and bus. This palace can also
be reached by boat. Public transportation in Dresden is quite good and
efficient.

One thing I do have to caution is that though the city is somewhat geared
for tourism, it's mostly caters to German-speaking tourists. For example,
the Semper Opera has tours but they are only in German.

In short, though I liked Dresden, I'm not sure if I would make at trip just
to see the city exclusively. However, while you're there, you're not too far
from Prague, Berlin, Leipzig, etc and so then the visit may be worthwhile

Old November 15th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Hoyt Weathers

Lennart Petersen wrote:

"Hoyt Weathers" skrev i meddelandet
I have read, and am still reading, about Dresden during February of 1945
and since.

I am interested in small medieval towns in Germany which have retained
their
character and charm.

--------------------------------------
Some gems are : Quedlinburg , Bamberg, Miltenberg
Others are Rothenburg ob der Tauber,Nördlingen and Donauwörth
Also Goslar,Wernigerode

My question is this: Is there now anything left worth the extra effort to
go to
Dresden?

Zwinger and the Semper Opera are both rebuilt.
Much of the city is rebuilt in a boring style but nevertheless I think
Dresden is worth a visit.

Thank you Lennart.

I have been to Rothenburg ob der Tauber, but not to the other gems you posted. I
appreciate your suggestions for those gems and for your comments on Dresden.

Old November 15th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Martin Stock

"Hoyt Weathers" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have read, and am still reading, about Dresden during February of 1945
and since.

I am interested in small medieval towns in Germany which have retained
their
character and charm.

Even before 1945 Dresden was neither small nor medieval.

My question is this: Is there now anything left worth the extra effort to
go to
Dresden?

The most important sights have been rebuilt (or are in progress like the
Frauenkirche and the Royal Palace). The bulk of the displays at the famous
museums at the Zwinger and the Green Vault survived the war. Outside the
city center there are also quarters which survived the bombings more or less
(e.g. Neustadt (which is good for night life)).

Dresden tourism
http://www.dresden.de/index.html?node=12248

Saxony Switzerland
http://www.saechsische-schweiz.de/st...t=lang&lang=en

Saxony Paddle Steamers
http://www.saechsische-dampfschiffahrt.de/index_en.html

- - -
Some enchanting towns (which means mostly small and medieval) in Germany
http://www.germany-tourism.de/e/city...edte_intro.cfm