Celebrity Cruises to Hold Press Conference!

Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Celebrity Cruises to Hold Press Conference!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Celebrity Cruises and thought
it would be of interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings,
they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Update: Celebrity Cruises to Hold Press Conference Regarding Chilean
Bus Accident at 9 A.M. Thursday

MIAMI, March 22
Celebrity Cruises will hold a press conference at 9 a.m. EST Thursday
regarding the tragic bus accident near Arica, Chile, involving guests
sailing on its ship Millennium.

The press conference will take place at the company's world
headquarters, at 1080 Caribbean Way, Miami, Florida (at the Port of
Miami).

Speakers will include Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity Cruises,
and Dr. Mauricio Lynn, M.D., Medical Director of Trauma Resuscitation
and Mass Casualty Intake Management at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Celebrity Cruises will provide additional information regarding this
matter as it becomes available. Information will also be posted on the
Celebrity Cruises Web site at http://www.celebrity.com .
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:26:32 -0800, Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

Update: Celebrity Cruises to Hold Press Conference Regarding Chilean
Bus Accident at 9 A.M. Thursday

Hi Everyone,

It appears that CNN will be carrying this press conference. It is
shortly after 9 A.M. Eastern and the press conference has not started.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi Everyone,

CNN is carrying this news conference live right now.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Celebrity Cruises and thought
it would be of interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings,
they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Remarks of Dan Hanrahan President of Celebrity Cruises - As Prepared -
Regarding Millennium Press Conference March 23, 2006 - 9 a.m. EST

MIAMI, March 23

* Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

* It is my sad duty to report that a significant and tragic incident
involving guests from Celebrity Cruises' Millennium occurred yesterday
at approximately 4:30 p.m. local time (3:30 p.m. Eastern Time) in a
remote area about 28 miles northeast of Arica, Chile.

* Before I begin, let me assure everyone watching and listening today
that all of us at Celebrity Cruises are doing everything possible to
assist guests and family members affected by this terrible event.
Although this situation continues to evolve, we will now share with
you what we have been able to confirm to this point. Let me also
assure you that we will continue to provide you updates as additional
facts become known.

* Now, here's what we do know at this time:

* Fourteen guests from Celebrity Cruises' Millennium who were riding
in a bus operated by an independent tour operator not affiliated with
our cruise line were involved in an accident about 28 miles northeast
of Arica, Chile. According to reports, the guests were returning from
Lauca National Park on an independent, private tour they had arranged.

* We understand at this time that the bus in which they were riding
swerved to avoid an approaching truck on a rugged mountain highway.
The bus apparently ran off the road and plunged 300 feet down a
mountainside.

* 12 guests on the bus were killed, and two other guests were injured
in the accident. Reports indicate that the Chilean driver of the bus
and the tour guide also were injured.

* The guests who were involved in the accident are part of a larger,
64- person B'nai B'rith group. Celebrity Cruises is consulting with a
rabbi to advise us on how best to support the families.

* Responders to the accident scene transported the injured to the
Arica Juan Noah Hospital for treatment. It is my understanding that
the two injured guests are now in stable condition and have been moved
to an ICU unit as a precaution. In a few moments, Dr. Lynn can address
any questions you may have about their condition.

* Upon learning of the accident, Millennium's captain dispatched a
physician, nurse and concierge to the hospital to assist the injured
and local medical personnel.

* Celebrity Cruises also notified the U.S. Consulate, U.S. Coast Guard
and Bahamian authorities. The company is now working in close
coordination with those entities, as well as Chilean authorities, to
assist the injured and the families of those killed or injured in the
accident.

* I want to assure everyone that all of us at Celebrity Cruises are
doing whatever we can to assist in the investigation now under way.
And, we will continue to do so as that investigation continues to
unfold.

* Millennium departed Valparaiso, Chile, March 19 on a 14-night
sailing that is scheduled to conclude in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on
April 2. Yesterday's accident occurred on the fourth day of the cruise
and at the first port call. Millennium was carrying 1,536 guests and
920 crew members on this particular sailing.

* Millennium was scheduled to leave Arica last night at 7 p.m. local
time for its next port call at Lima, Peru, on Friday. In an effort to
assist authorities and allow any guests who wish to depart the ship,
we have postponed Millennium's departure from Arica until about 9 a.m.
local time today.

* This morning, the ship will conduct a service onboard for guests who
wish to pay their respect to those involved in the accident. We also
have opened all phone lines and Internet access to guests onboard
Millennium so they can communicate with their friends and loved ones
to apprise them of their safety.

* The ship's physician, nurse and concierge dispatched to the hospital
will remain in Arica to assist Chilean medical personnel, as well as
family members of those guests involved in the accident.

* Celebrity Cruises has established two toll-free telephone lines for
family members of guests sailing on Millennium for this cruise. Please
let me emphasize that these numbers are for family members ONLY.
Callers in North America should dial 1-888-829-4050. Again, that
number is 1-888-829-4050.

* Callers from outside North America should call the following number
collect: 305-539-4050. Again, callers from outside North America
should call collect: 305-539-4050.

* Let me repeat that these numbers are for family members only, and we
are requesting that the general public not call them. This will allow
families of those onboard Millennium to receive the information they
need in a timely manner.

* I would also ask that the media and others respect the privacy of
our guests, crew and their families as the authorities work to
determine the cause of this terrible accident. These individuals need
some time and space to begin to deal with the situation.

* In transit to Arica is a special-assistance team from our Miami
headquarters led by our Vice President for Marine Operations, John
Krousouloudis. The rabbi also is with this team. These team members
will be on the scene at about 11 a.m. local time to render whatever
assistance possible.

* At this time, Celebrity Cruises is flying family members of those
involved in the accident, and who choose to go, to Chile. We are not
disclosing the departure locations of these flights to provide these
family members the privacy they need during this painful, enormously
difficult time.

* I would like to add that Celebrity Cruises is, at this point, unable
to provide the names of the guests who were involved in this terrible
accident out of respect for their families. As I said, some of those
family members are in the air now, on their way to identify their
loved ones.

* At this moment, all of us share the pain and anguish of this
terrible event. We are devastated. On behalf of everyone at Celebrity
Cruises, I'd like to extend our thoughts and prayers to everyone whose
lives have been touched by this tragedy.

* Our first concern and primary focus remains with those people
touched in some way by this terrible event. I pledge that Celebrity
Cruises will do whatever we can to help find the answers we all want
.... and need. I also promise that I -- and all other members of our
senior-management team -- will remain personally involved in efforts
to find those answers.

* Thank you. At this time, I will now turn things over to Dr. Lynn
from Jackson Memorial Hospital.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

--

Reading the entire statement shows me how competent Celebrity is in
handling this difficult matter ...

Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

number6 wrote:

Celebrity Cruises will provide additional information regarding this
matter

Reading the entire statement shows me how competent Celebrity is in
handling this difficult matter ...
They certainly have put together everything they could possibly do in a
very short period of time ... Kudos to them ...

I was thinking the same thing, number6...they are going to extraordinary
lengths on behalf of their passengers (who Dan Hanrahan kept referring
to as "guests"), especially considering the people were on an
independent excursion not affiliated with the cruise line. They truly
appear to be treating the survivors, the family members of those lost
and the rest of the passengers as "guests," doing whatever they can to
make them as comfortable as possible at this horribly tragic time.

Hats off to a classy organization. And there but for the grace of God
go all of us...

~ Peri
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi Everyone,

I received this update press release from Celebrity Cruises and
thought it would be of interest. If you have missed any of my news'
postings, they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Update: Bus Accident In Chile
Thursday March 23, 1:37 pm ET

MIAMI, March 23
Celebrity Cruises continues to assist its guests and their family
members who were affected by yesterday's tragic bus accident near
Arica, Chile.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone whose lives have been
touched by this tragedy," said Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity
Cruises. "We are devastated. We will continue to do everything
possible to assist our guests and their family members."

This morning, the ship observed a moment of silence, allowing guests
to reflect on those involved in the accident. The ship has set aside a
special room for quiet reflection, with bibles and copies of the
Siddur, a book of Jewish prayers. Last night, the ship opened its
phones lines and Internet access so onboard guests could communicate
with their families and loved ones to apprise them of their safety.

The ship's physician, nurse and concierge dispatched to the hospital
will remain in Arica to assist Chilean medical personnel, as well as
family members of guests involved in the accident.

A special assistance team from the company arrived in Arica at
approximately noon local time today. The team will assist injured
guests and family members of the deceased. The company is also
assisting family members who are interested in flying to Arica.

The guests involved in the accident were part of a larger, 64-person
B'nai B'rith group from the U.S. Celebrity is working with a rabbi,
who is part of the special assistance team now in Arica, to help
affected guests and family members.

Millennium departed Arica at approximately 10 a.m. local time today.
It delayed its departure, scheduled for 7 p.m. local time last night,
to further assist authorities and allow guests the opportunity to
depart the ship.

Celebrity Cruises has established two toll-free phone lines for family
members of guests sailing on this cruise. Callers in North America
should dial 1-888-829-4050. Callers from outside North America should
dial the following number collect, 305-539-4050. These numbers are for
family members only, and the company requests that the general public
not use these numbers so family members of those onboard the ship may
receive information in a timely manner.

Millennium departed Valparaiso, Chile, on March 19, on a 14-night
sailing that is scheduled to conclude in Fort Lauderdale on April 2.
Yesterday's accident occurred on the fourth day of the cruise. The
ship was carrying approximately 1,536 guests and 920 crew members.