backpack-starter: which heater should I use?

Old March 13th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Rob De Langhe

Default backpack-starter: which heater should I use?

Hi,

gathering my stuff to go backpacking: which heater do you use and what
are the experiences with them ? What about the different fuel-types: do
you carry them with you from home (how do they react on that in the
airport?) or you buy them at the destinations?

TIA

Rob

Old March 13th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Miguel Cruz

In article , Rob De Langhe wrote:
gathering my stuff to go backpacking: which heater do you use and what
are the experiences with them ? What about the different fuel-types: do
you carry them with you from home (how do they react on that in the
airport?) or you buy them at the destinations?

Other than perhaps wood, you usually can't carry fuel on the plane.

But who brings a stove backpacking anyway? That's more for hiking and
camping.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand
Old March 16th, 2005, 06:04 PM
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Jim Ley mused:

| Hmm, I always thought that backpacking was an Americanism for hiking
| and camping.... but now you've confused me - who does use it other
| than the OP?

To me, backpacking covers everything related to traveling (town to town
or country to country) around with nothing but what you can fit into a
backpack. Camping and hiking are different as you are usually only doing
this in a specific area (West Highland Way or Appalachian Trail not
withstanding).

If you are backpacking, you are generally staying in hostels, so no
camping equipment is necessary. Though, some people do camp when they go
backpacking. In which case, you would have to buy the fuel once you arrive
at the destination, and be prepared to dispose of your remaining fuel
properly when you leave. Make sure your stove is compatible with the fuel
type available at your destination.

Old March 16th, 2005, 06:06 PM
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Jim Ley mused:

| Hmm, I always thought that backpacking was an Americanism for hiking
| and camping....

Also, I don't think Americanism has anything to do with backpacking ...
considering how few Americans actually do it. Most backpackers are of
non-US citizenry. The "camping" that most Americans do involve close
proximity to an automobile, or occupation of an RV.

Old March 17th, 2005, 01:53 PM

I concur, if you're hosteling, you probably don't need fuel. If you
insist on fuel, you'll need to buy it there.

If you're actually hiking in wilderness and can't check on what fuel is
available where you're going, consider an MSR whisperlite
international, and carry 1 or 2 empty fuel canisters-- these will take
anything from gasoline to, well just trust me, they take anything (just
read up on them at an outdoors site). They'll run you about 70 bucks
plus canisters, but really are probably the way to go for flexibility,
and they're relatively light.

If you're just hosteling around, but are still going to be camping, my
advice is to leave the stove at home. I did the same thing for 6 weeks
a couple years ago in france, and took my stove out maybe twice. But
the rest of the time I had to schlep it around with my pack. It's
actually easier to eat dry ramen noodle than go through the hassle.

And a side note, if you're a first time backpacker and need some
advice, I would highly recommend www.artoftravel.com. It's well
written, pretty funny, and I found it invaluable when I was starting
out.

Happy trails,
RJ

Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:57 PM
mechanic_mike

Hi,

gathering my stuff to go backpacking: which heater do you use and what are
the experiences with them ? What about the different fuel-types: do you
carry them with you from home (how do they react on that in the airport?)
or you buy them at the destinations?

TIA

Rob

REPLY:

Ron,

Do not carry fuel into planes, a big NO NO. As for what the best stove is,
would you take the advise of an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker?
The most popular stove for backpacking/thru-hiking for the serious, not
weekenders, is an alcohol stove. The setup I used consisted of a
windscreen/pot stand and a soda can alcohol stove.

Alcohol stove:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

windscreen/pot stand
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT