state capital cities

Old September 7th, 2004, 09:36 PM
jcoulter

R H Draney wrote in
:

Tim923 filted:

This is not really a travel question, but it seemed like the best
newsgroup to post this:

Why are state capital cities often relatively obscure small cities?
Albany, Sacramento, Tallahassee, Springfield, Lansing come to mind.
Which capitals are also the largest city population wise?

Honolulu, Nashville, Atlanta, Denver, Boston, Oklahoma City are all
the largest cities in their respective states, and are all relatively
sizeable in their own rights...as is the one I happen to live in, the
largest state capital there is....

Smallest, of course, is Montpelier....r

WOW 8000 brave souls call it home not even a contest
Old September 8th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Frank F. Matthews

The only easy one I can think of is Phoenix. There are a few others if
you use the actual city population instead of the metro area population.
Columbus is one of those.

Old September 8th, 2004, 02:35 AM
R H Draney

Frank F. Matthews filted:

Tim923 wrote:

Why are state capital cities often relatively obscure small cities?
Albany, Sacramento, Tallahassee, Springfield, Lansing come to mind.
Which capitals are also the largest city population wise?

Here's the full list of the seventeen states where the largest city is also the
capital, compiled by cutting the table at
http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0763765.html, pasting it into Excel, then
shaking vigorously:

Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Massachusetts
Mississippi
Ohio
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Utah
West Virginia
Wyoming

I did this once years ago, manually, and at that time also figured out how many
states had their *second* largest cities as capitals, third largest, and so
on...I think there was one where the capital was something like the 22nd
largest...Connecticut?...r

Old September 8th, 2004, 07:33 AM
RVerDon

You call Sacramento an obscure small city? Have you been there lately? Or
have you ever been there?

Old September 8th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Pan

Frank F. Matthews filted:

Tim923 wrote:

[...]

Nope. I'm surprised Hartford isn't the largest city in Connecticut,
but in 2000 rankings by population, Bridgeport was 151st largest in
the U.S. with 139,529, New Haven was 174th largest with 123,626, and
Hartford was 178th largest with 121,578. In 2000, Hartford was the
3rd-largest city in Connecticut.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old September 8th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Miguel Cruz

Charlie Thorne wrote:
To the other question, most capitals are located centrally for easy
access to the State Government.

That explains Juneau.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 30 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:23 PM
R H Draney

Pan filted:

On 7 Sep 2004 18:35:46 -0700, R H Draney wrote:

I did this once years ago, manually, and at that time also figured out how many
states had their *second* largest cities as capitals, third largest, and so
on...I think there was one where the capital was something like the 22nd
largest...Connecticut?...r

Nope. I'm surprised Hartford isn't the largest city in Connecticut,
but in 2000 rankings by population, Bridgeport was 151st largest in
the U.S. with 139,529, New Haven was 174th largest with 123,626, and
Hartford was 178th largest with 121,578. In 2000, Hartford was the
3rd-largest city in Connecticut.

Okay, not Hartford then...most of the capitals were in the top five in their
respective states, but there was one that was way the heck-and-gone down the
list, and it was in an eastern state that I wouldn't have been able to come up
with five cities without an almanac in front of me...if someone else (Mark
Brader?) wants to crunch the numbers again, be my guest....r

Old September 8th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Walt Tucker

127.0.0.1 wrote:

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:57:51 GMT, Tim923 wrote:

This is not really a travel question, but it seemed like the best
newsgroup to post this:

Why are state capital cities often relatively obscure small cities?
Albany, Sacramento, Tallahassee, Springfield, Lansing come to mind.
Which capitals are also the largest city population wise?

Boston

Boise (largest city in Idaho)

Old September 8th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:31:21 -0700, "PeterL"
wrote:

"RVerDon" wrote in message
You call Sacramento an obscure small city? Have you been there lately?

Or
have you ever been there?

Not only lately, but when it first became the capital, it was definitely not
small nor obscure.

Besides, any city where Arrrrnold resides can't be small and obscure.

Sacramento was the western terminus of the transcontinental
railroad; goods continued on to San Francisco by boat (Sacramento
is on tide water).