An American's Impressions

Old November 19th, 2007, 01:42 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

Default An American's Impressions

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 17:43:03 GMT, "AlmostBob"
wrote in
HQ_%i.7388$Ji6.2159@edtnps89 :

gday 'roo16
local supermarket chain has ceased carrying vegemite in the foreign foods
section, the withdrawl is killing.
vegemite and Kraft cheese spread in a drinking glass container, cheeze whiz
doesnt cut it.

Personally, not too fond of many processed cheese spreads,
although am quite fond of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, and a
variety of sharper aged cheeses such as blue vein.

What sort of Kraft cheese do you have in mind? What percentage
of cheese and Vegemite?

At suitable proportions, I might accept a spread with a low
percentage of Vegemite in it. Must admit haven't tried mixing
it with Philadelphia Cream Cheese.

would like to find someone to mail it, rellies just laugh

Postal services can be slow, so I assume that you are a tourist
spending some time in the country, working there, etc.

I have lived in places in Australia where I couldn't find
a favorite grocery item. Stores may not carry an item simply
because shelf space is at a premium and they don't want to
put it on the shelf and have it go out of date for lack of
demand.

I've solved the problem by asking the manager/ owner if he
would order in a full case of the product for me. I generally
get it at a cheaper price than would pay for buying the same
quantity in cans or jars off the shelf a few at a time. After
all, he doesn't have to have it put on the shelf and have a clerk
price it.

Am sure it could be transported in air parcel post un
refrigerated as long as jar seal is intact. Even after opening,
will last
quite a long time due to the high salt content.

Assuming that wherever you are allows the postal import of same
without imposing a customs charge or inspection charge.

You might check with your local postal authorities on this issue,
and if it is feasible, am sure that some fellow Vegamite lover
in Australia will take pity on you and post you some.

If this fails, have you considered a pleading e-mail or letter to
the marketing manager at the nearest Kraft office? [ Perhaps even
with an accompanying recommendation from some local medical
adviser? :-) ]

Perhaps they would consider sending you some as a public
relations gesture. Would even make a good news item if they
contact the proper media sources.

Perhaps the headline could read "Kraft (Australia) sends care
package of Vegemite to desperate Aussie"

After all, Kraft is not exactly an impoverished corporation, and
their advertising budget should allow for quite a few such
mailings. I suspect that their Australian advertising budget
would be pretty high. T.V. commercials and other promotions
aren't exactly cheap.

An offer to supply genuinely desperate overseas Australians,
perhaps under the name of "Kraft cares for needy Vegemite
lovers", should generate good publicity here and increase
sales.

Hopes this helps, please keep the group informed of your
progress.

Cheers,
Kangaroo16