Roadgeeking while flying

Old April 28th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Andy P. Jung

Default Roadgeeking while flying

Anyone else take pictures of roadways when they fly?
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/564051/L/

More pics at
http://public.fotki.com/apjung/roadgeeking/

--
Andy P. Jung
Metairie, Louisiana U.S.A.

To reply via e-mail, please visit my web site.

Old April 28th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Andy P. Jung

"Eric & Kathy Vander Yacht" wrote in message
Where is that picture? I-10 west of New Orleans looking ESE?

I-310, the flyover exit to US 61 and in the background by the winglet the
Hale Boggs Mississippi River Bridge.

Old April 28th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Justin Priola

"Andy P. Jung" spam@yourownrisk wrote in message news:amFjc.1167$pJ1.553@lakeread02...
Anyone else take pictures of roadways when they fly?
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/564051/L/

More pics at
http://public.fotki.com/apjung/roadgeeking/

I like to observe them while flying, if possible. On my trip to
Canada last July, the completed Arkansas 440 freeway northeast of
Little Rock was plainly visible from my airplane window. My camera
wasn't on hand at the time, though. :-(

Justin Priola

---------------------
to send an e-mail, replace msn.com in the above address with uno.edu.
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Steve

Andy P. Jung wrote:

Anyone else take pictures of roadways when they fly?
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/564051/L/

More pics at
http://public.fotki.com/apjung/roadgeeking/

Top photo of http://web.mit.edu/smalpert/www/roads/ca/ is from a plane
landing at LAX. Generally, I can only take a pic at departure or
arrival, cause I won't get the resolution otherwise. Not to mention
that I fly about as frequently as I take a boat, and while I love
planes, I hate boats.

--
Steve
GO YANKEES!

Old April 28th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Andrew Kirschner

Pictures, no. But I always do look down and try to identify as many
roads as I can. One memory in particular came at the end of my year in
Israel (1989-90). As I returned, I saw Montauk Point, then fairly soon
after I could make out NY 27 meeting CR 51 (far from Montauk on the
ground, but not so much from the air) and then just all these roads I
knew and had missed. I got this sense of a "welcome home" from
highways who had not gotten their fair share of roadgeek attention for
many moons.

:-) Andrew
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Andrew Tompkins

"Andrew Kirschner" wrote in message
om...
Pictures, no. But I always do look down and try to identify as many
roads as I can. One memory in particular came at the end of my year in
Israel (1989-90). As I returned, I saw Montauk Point, then fairly soon
after I could make out NY 27 meeting CR 51 (far from Montauk on the
ground, but not so much from the air) and then just all these roads I
knew and had missed. I got this sense of a "welcome home" from
highways who had not gotten their fair share of roadgeek attention for
many moons.

:-) Andrew

I also tend to be a look out the window and keep track of where we are type. Maybe
that comes from being an Air Force navigator for 8 years (they insisted that you use
the supplied navigation equipment, not visual reference for position fixing). During
my years in the AF, I shot lots of video tape but no stills. On a commercial flight
from Detroit to Phoenix, we came out of the clouds over Lake Michigan and I was able
to keep track of where we were from there to Winslow, AZ knowing the highway system,
the river system, the flight plan (which the pilot was kind enough to read over the
PA) and where airliners usually make their turns.

--Andy
Andrew G. Tompkins
Software Engineer
Beaverton, OR
http://home.comcast.net/~andytom/Highways

Old April 30th, 2004, 12:56 AM
_>Gene T.

Handheld GPS device is your friend. It picks up a signal when held close to
a window.
I use Garmin Etrex VIsta

Old April 30th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Michael G. Koerner

"_Gene T. _" wrote:

Handheld GPS device is your friend. It picks up a signal when held close to
a window.
I use Garmin Etrex VIsta

Especially when looking down upon that annoying 'sheepskin' of clouds. :-)

I favor my Garmin GPSIII+.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Andrew Tompkins

"_Gene T. _" wrote...
Handheld GPS device is your friend. It picks up a signal when held close to
a window.
I use Garmin Etrex VIsta

You sure know how to take the fun out of navigation. I pretty much only use my
handheld GPS for distance/time measurements during long-distance road trips. I
learned early on (when I busted my first operational AF checkride) that the minute
you feel that you really need that computer navigation system is the minute that that
system will screw you over big time.

"Andrew Tompkins" wrote...