Traveling to London in February

Old November 15th, 2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Traveling to London in February

Iceman wrote:

On Nov 15, 3:14 pm, (David Horne, _the_ chancellor
(*)) wrote:
Hatunen wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:47:57 -0700,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

[]
Well, it depends upon where in the U.S. the OP is from, but
I found London in January far warmer than much of the U.S.
is at that time of year! (Even coming from Southern
California, I haven't found winter in Europe nearly so cold
as similar lattitudes in the U.S., and NEVER as bad as the
Minnesota winters I was raised with.)

Perhaps. But in Minnesota one can stay inside and warm on crappy
days, while the whole point in travelling is to get outside and
around.

London is generally not that cold, even in February, and rain, contrary
to popular belief, doesn't persist in that city.

Compared to most other major cities in Europe and cities in the US,
London actually does not get more rain than average. However, it has
a lot more cloudy days than most cities, so that's where the
perception for rain comes from.

It's comparable to other major cities at a similar latitude in Europe-
better than some in fact. Maybe it gets the bad rap because so many
people visit...

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Iceman wrote:

On Nov 15, 7:00 am, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:27:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I'm bringing my 11-year old to Europe (from US) to see London, Paris,
and Normandy. Any advice on where to stay or where to avoid?

Don't miss Mont St. Michel in Normandy.

Tesco (grocery store), Marks and Spencers and other places have
wonderful sandwiches, fruit in small packages, and yogart, etc. I would
take something like that back to my hotel room at night rather than
eating at an expensive restaurant.

London has lot of inexpensive "ethnic" restaurants that are a much
better option for most budget travelers than eating a packaged
sandwich in your hotel room. London has many excellent Indian
restaurants in particular, and you can easily find very good Thai,
Vietnamese, Greek, Italian and Turkish food.

Don't forget chinese in Chinatown.

Though not to everyone's taste (I like it!) there are a growing number
of cheapish Korean restaurants around Soho and near Tottenham Court
Road.

Old November 15th, 2007, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:23:51 -0800 (PST), Iceman
wrote:

Tesco (grocery store), Marks and Spencers and other places have
wonderful sandwiches, fruit in small packages, and yogart, etc. I would
take something like that back to my hotel room at night rather than
eating at an expensive restaurant.

London has lot of inexpensive "ethnic" restaurants that are a much
better option for most budget travelers than eating a packaged
sandwich in your hotel room. London has many excellent Indian
restaurants in particular, and you can easily find very good Thai,
Vietnamese, Greek, Italian and Turkish food.

I usually walk all day in London and by dinner time I'm tired and don't
feel like going back out. When we are with friends we eat out, but I'm
happy with a "heather honey and ginger" yogart and a bunch of grapes.
The poster has an eleven year old - I was thinking a kid might prefer
the kind of food I do!
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

Tesco (grocery store), Marks and Spencers and other places have
wonderful sandwiches, fruit in small packages, and yogart, etc. I would
take something like that back to my hotel room at night rather than
eating at an expensive restaurant.

London has lot of inexpensive "ethnic" restaurants that are a much
better option for most budget travelers than eating a packaged
sandwich in your hotel room. London has many excellent Indian
restaurants in particular, and you can easily find very good Thai,
Vietnamese, Greek, Italian and Turkish food.

I usually walk all day in London

Good idea- it's a great walking city. (With an 11 y/o it might be
harder- I recommend buses over the tube.)

and by dinner time I'm tired and don't
feel like going back out. When we are with friends we eat out, but I'm
happy with a "heather honey and ginger" yogart and a bunch of grapes.
The poster has an eleven year old - I was thinking a kid might prefer
the kind of food I do!

Your suggestions were excellent for takeaway IMO- if the kid wants
something more sinful, plenty of chip shops etc.!