Hotel Room Cooking--How Common is It?

Old December 28th, 2007, 12:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Default Hotel Room Cooking--How Common is It?

Carole Allen wrote:

When I travel the only really huge restaurant meal I eat is the dinenr
one. I am not a big breakfast person, so I usually grab a tea and a
sweet, something like a croissant, something I wouldn't eat (or cook)
at home, and walk and explore while I munch. At lunch I get a quick
pick-up in a take-out, perhaps a wrap, or in France a croque madame,
or in Italy a pizza slab or tremezzini, or something in the stand-up
bars. Or fresh fruit or snacks from an outdoor market. I splurge on
a larger more exotic dinner where I can relax and take my time.

It's very different in Italy or France (or China or Taiwan or Thailand)
than in many cities in the U.S. (places like NYC and San Francisco
excepted). You wouldn't dream of cooking in your room in Italy or
France, and indeed since many hotels include breakfast there is no need
to prepare your own breakfast, and there are so many good restaurants
that you can walk to that it would be almost sac-religious to cook for
yourself.

It's very different when you're in a place like Reno or Las Vegas. It
can take fifteen minutes just to get to the restaurant from your room,
then there can be long waits to be seated, as well as waits for your
food to arrive. That's not time you want to be wasting in the morning.
You have more time to do exploration by not starting your day by wasting
an hour with a breakfast routine. It really comes down to spending
$20/person on a room service breakfast, or whipping up something simple
for about 1/10th the cost.
Old December 28th, 2007, 03:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:
Carole Allen wrote:

[...]

Or starting your "exploration" and hitting the first Dunkin Dognuts or
McDeath or whatever you see for a dognut or dreck mcmuffin or the
like.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old December 28th, 2007, 05:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
SMS ???. ? wrote:
Carole Allen wrote:

[...]

Bloody snobs. A few IHOP or Denny breakfasts a year isn't going to kill you.

Old December 28th, 2007, 09:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"sharx35" schrieb

With *your* positive attitude, you probably encounter far fewer
travelling problems than do many here

Probably. But a positive attitude is helpful not only while travelling.
It makes the whole life a lot easier. But I think there are a lot of
people around who enjoy being miserable ;-)

Jochen
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carole Allen[_1_]

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:54:33 -0800,
=?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=
wrote:
It's very different when you're in a place like Reno or Las Vegas. It
can take fifteen minutes just to get to the restaurant from your room,
then there can be long waits to be seated, as well as waits for your
food to arrive. That's not time you want to be wasting in the morning.
You have more time to do exploration by not starting your day by wasting
an hour with a breakfast routine. It really comes down to spending
$20/person on a room service breakfast, or whipping up something simple
for about 1/10th the cost.

Which is why the thought of visiting Reno or Vegas has never been an
attraction for me.
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carole Allen[_1_]

"Carole Allen" wrote in message
Well, I cook at home every day. When I am on VACATION I want someone
else to cook and do the dishes and to make my bed and leave me fresh
towels. Besdies, realistically how much $$ do you save and how much
travel time do you forfeit while cooking in your hotel? When I travel
I want to be OUT experiencing where I am. All I want to do in my hotel
is shower and sleep.

And in exploring a new place, whether in the USA or abroad,
discovering new foods is a real pleasure.

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 00:08:33 GMT, "sharx35"
wrote:
Great post, Carole! I wonder how the WIVES of these cheap *******s feel
about HAVING to cook while on VACATION? I suspect that the WIVES might not
be so happy with the idea.

I have friends whose husbands are into RVing. Yeah, the guys drive
these big ego-boosting, gas-guzzling tanks, and the wives buy the
food, prepare the supplies, then cook, and clean up and make the
bed...such a vacation. NOT.
Old December 28th, 2007, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Carole Allen wrote:

Which is why the thought of visiting Reno or Vegas has never been an
attraction for me.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. But sometimes you end up in those
locations for other reasons. I've probably been to Las Vegas 20 times,
always for trade shows, because it's the only venue with enough rooms
for shows like CES, Interbike, and formerly Comdex. Eating every meal in
a restaurant is exhausting in these places because of the very long
waits. I usually rent a car now in Las Vegas and drive far away from the
strip to eat. There's a pretty good Chinatown in Las Vegas, which
unfortunately a lot of trade show visitors have discovered.

Reno is a good base for going skiing, as it has a lot of lodging. Lake
Tahoe is often very full and very expensive during holiday periods. It's
ski trips where you really don't want to deal with eating every meal out
because it's so time consuming.
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Marsha[_2_]

Carole Allen wrote:
I have friends whose husbands are into RVing. Yeah, the guys drive
these big ego-boosting, gas-guzzling tanks, and the wives buy the
food, prepare the supplies, then cook, and clean up and make the
bed...such a vacation. NOT.

Is there someone forcing these wives to do this? I think not.

Marsha/Ohio

Old December 29th, 2007, 05:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

wrote:
Great post, Carole! I wonder how the WIVES of these cheap *******s feel
about HAVING to cook while on VACATION? I suspect that the WIVES might not
be so happy with the idea.

I have friends whose husbands are into RVing. Yeah, the guys drive
these big ego-boosting, gas-guzzling tanks, and the wives buy the
food, prepare the supplies, then cook, and clean up and make the
bed...such a vacation. NOT.

Hopefully the price of fuel will have the effect of reducing the number
of RVs being sold and driven. Ditto for snowmobiles, ATVs and powerboats.
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
CalifBill

"Marsha" wrote in message ...
Carole Allen wrote:
I have friends whose husbands are into RVing. Yeah, the guys drive
these big ego-boosting, gas-guzzling tanks, and the wives buy the
food, prepare the supplies, then cook, and clean up and make the
bed...such a vacation. NOT.

Is there someone forcing these wives to do this? I think not.

Marsha/Ohio

Maybe the husband shares in the cooking, etc.