filtering

Old March 28th, 2008, 03:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
glen black[_3_]

Default filtering

On 2008-03-27 10:57:28 -0700, Dirty Father Mucker
said:

On the particular moment of Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:53:27 -0700 in
relation to Mary's disappointingly immaculate rumpy pumpy, glen black
put forth:

I just last night set filters to kill google groups posters and also
the numerical address of the big Chinese poster. Today, instead of
dozens of offers of shoes,bags,watches I have twelve posts, all travel
related and all containing the old participants. I don't see
deepfriedmuffin nor divamanque this morning I hope they are just
silent, not filtered out; I value their posts. gb

I'm here, just been doing other stuff.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Where is Barbara? I hope I haven't filtered her out. Or is she just
away... glen

Old March 28th, 2008, 03:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
glen black[_3_]

On 2008-03-27 15:22:30 -0700, "Runge11" said:

Lol well filter yourself out then !!!

"glen black" a écrit dans le message de
I just last night set filters to kill google groups posters and also
the numerical address of the big Chinese poster. Today, instead of
dozens of offers of shoes,bags,watches I have twelve posts, all travel
related and all containing the old participants. I don't see
deepfriedmuffin nor divamanque this morning I hope they are just
silent, not filtered out; I value their posts. gb

Awwwsweetie baci all over your sweet pink body. Luvya. glen

Old March 28th, 2008, 08:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, glen wrote:

I just last night set filters to kill google groups posters and also
the numerical address of the big Chinese poster. Today, instead of
dozens of offers of shoes,bags,watches I have twelve posts, all travel
related and ...

I'm not sure how my (al)pine reader would handle a massive filtering. In
the past I've used filters to kill obvious trolls on some LOW traffic
newsgroups. For HIGHER traffic NGs like r.t.e. I've never tried and
don't think it is worth. It is just enough for me to have threading
enable, compressed so that my index shows one line per thread with the
number of component messages (*) ... I simply ignore and delete (+)
threads which look uninteresting by subject. This can be as high as 90%
in some moments. In this case I do the cleaning, exit and re-enter the
NG and read only what left. It does not take me more than 2 minutes to
do this manual filtering.

(*) the algorithm is not perfect and can be fouled. For instance the
"Euro 1.55" thread appears split in lots of individual messages.

(+) delete is not a real delete, messages are marked for deletion and
never shown again (until they expire from the server) unless I recall
them with the appropriate command (sometimes I enter a discussion at
later time and want to see the original post).

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bob fusillo

"Giovanni Drogo" wrote in message
news:alpine.LSU.1.00.0803280935540.22278@cbfrvqba. ynzoengr.vans.vg...
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, glen wrote:

[...]

I am on the verge of giving up on the group entirely. I have found it very
useful and informative in the past, but it has become almost laughable. How
did this happen so quickly? Is there any other place to go?
rjf

is a newsreading account used by more persons to

Old March 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike......[_4_]

Following up to "Bob Fusillo" wrote:

I am on the verge of giving up on the group entirely. I have found it very
useful and informative in the past, but it has become almost laughable. How
did this happen so quickly? Is there any other place to go?

nobody seems to ask travel questions anymore, so we are left with the
regulars chatting. Not sure if that's the spammers fault?
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Frightens Me[_2_]

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:16:37 -0400, Bob Fusillo wrote:

I am on the verge of giving up on the group entirely. I have found it very
useful and informative in the past, but it has become almost laughable. How
did this happen so quickly? Is there any other place to go?

As is well known, a lot of folks are asking the same question.

I am now using a newsreader called 40tude, which has some very powerful
filtering capabilites, and massively improves rte from my point of view.

The problem is that no new people are coming in, and that is what will
eventually kill this place.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

DFM wrote:
The problem is that no new people are
coming in, and that is what will eventually
kill this place.

And why do you think that is?

I've been following this NG since '97, we started losing some of the
'old blood' when this group went big-time OT during and after the 2000
US election.
9/11, the Wars and anti-Bush/USA pushed it farther.

'New Blood'; Scant information and/or getting their balls busted from
some of the regulars.
Or perhaps they just popped-in as lurkers and left for greener pastures
where they could get *detailed* info about recreational travel in Europe
elsewhere (***example below).

Usenet is a big place, there is a niche for everyone.
This niche should be just for *travel in Europe* (Period)
And not a niche for just a few like-minded individuals to chat about OT
bull****.

Sadly we've hit the iceberg, the lifeboats are gone and the ship's at a
45° angle but people like Captain David are saying "everything is
fine".

Honestly, now I just follow the group for the entertainment.
Regards, Walter

*** I checked Fodors' Forum and there are 50 on-topic posts that were
responded to in the last 40 min in the Europe Forum.

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old March 29th, 2008, 01:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Go Fig

I can filter the spam w/out problems.

But the "The Euro at $1.55" with 100s of posts and not a single
"was:The Euro at $1.55" to give a remote idea of what tangent it has
morphed into... "mark as read"

jay
Fri Mar 28, 2008

Old March 29th, 2008, 12:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike......[_4_]

Following up to jeremy wrote:

I am new and can filter well enough that china does not bother me.

in that case, welcome!
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
VainGlorious

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:25:17 +0000, "Mr Suburbia (Mike...) "
wrote:

Following up to glen black wrote:

and also
the numerical address of the big Chinese poster

can Agent do this?

Yes. While RTE is open, go to Message Filters Add Kill Filter.
In the Filter Expression window, type Subject: and use the {} brackets
to add your expression, such as {Prada} or {shoes} or whatever.
Check "Delete" button and "rec.travel.europe" button. Click OK.
Add more Subject: {} filters as necessary. But be clever about it; you
don't want to filter too many innocent posts. (Yes, I'll miss innocent
posts about shoes in Holland or Prada stores in Milan, but it's a fair
trade-off).

I have also created Author: filters for google and gmail names. I will
not see posts from n00bs with author names that contain those
expressions. Too bad.

After a week or so of careful additions, the group is very readable.

- TR