French Cheese Joints

Old September 25th, 2010, 04:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
gtr

Default French Cheese Joints

On 2010-09-24 13:46:41 -0700, Runge 124 said:

If you ask it like that people will stare at you funnily.
Où peut on acheter (ou manger) du bon fromage s'il vous plaît ? would
be a little better....

I guess I could do that, but they might get the false impression that I
can speak their language, and I wouldn't want any confusion on that.
Seriously: people will stare at me funnily every time I speak. I would
look at
THEM funny if they didn't!

I figure if I ask my questions of the kinds of people that "look at
Americans funnily" for a living it will be fine--if they can point me
in the right direction.
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Old September 25th, 2010, 07:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 124

LOL OK then

2010092420494583805-xxx@yyyzzz...

Old September 25th, 2010, 07:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:33:54 -0700, gtr wroteÂ*:

I have visited both the USA and France.

Any French supermarket will stock a range of cheeses that you'll find
dazeling and in excelent condition.

Buy two or three different ones, a loaf of bread and some butter, and
experiment.

Repeat every day until bored...

I'll likely do that. But without any guidance (and with meager ability
in the language) the potential for buying commercial cheese and then
eating it in my hotel room is a fall-back position I'm looking to avoid.

I think I'll just ask people wherever I go "Ou est le bon fromage?"
Hopefully I'll find a friendly shop where I can sit down, drink wine and
blow the day with someone who acts as cheese guide.

The A plan!

Cheeses enter in many receipts, but are not so often on the menus of
restaurants, at least in Paris. They don't enable the cook to do some
elaborated dish. In the region of Lyon, they are still included by simple
restaurants.

The Androuet restaurant, indicated by Runge, is the Mecca of cheese
restaurants in Paris. Expensive.

Chaumette (3 course lunch 23 EUR, cheese)
http://www.restaurant-chaumette.com/restaurant

http://www.eatinparis.com/EatinParis...il_restaurant?
id=725

In some street bistrots you can just sit at the counter and order a
"Camembert assiette" with a glass of wine, côte du rhone, chinon, etc.
You will generally be served some very decent kind of cheese.

A different kind of restaurant serving cheese are savoyard restaurants
serving raclettes, fondues and tartiflettes.

http://www.chalet-savoyard.fr/

http://www.lemarivaux.com/cartesavoyard.html

http://restaurant.isaveurs.com/2_res..._d_Avron/8461/

http://www.oubouffer.com/restaurant-...021-le-brasier

Aligot, a center France (Auvergne) cheese speciality can be found in
regional restaurants.

http://www.ambassade-auvergne.com/in...g=uk&affiche=3

http://www.flottes.fr/

http://www.paris-bistro.com/choisir/...bducantal.html

http://www.oubouffer.com/restaurant-...20-le-pareloup

Old September 25th, 2010, 01:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dawn Khorus

On Sep 25, 8:58*am, JuanElorza wrote:
[...]

its the only place people can't smell him....
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Cate

Default French Cheese Joints (US)

It's great to try new cheeses while vising France, but what about after we
get back home? Which great cheeses routinely popular in France are we likely
to find at Krogers, HEB or in our local wine shop, which might be of
reasonably good quality? I'm thinking Brie and Camembert for a start.

Jim

Old September 25th, 2010, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black[_2_]

On 25/09/10 17:27, Jim Cate wrote:
It's great to try new cheeses while vising France, but what about after we
get back home? Which great cheeses routinely popular in France are we likely
to find at Krogers, HEB or in our local wine shop, which might be of
reasonably good quality? I'm thinking Brie and Camembert for a start.

The problem here, and it is a problem, is that you local shop may not
know how to keep them properly.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
gtr

On 2010-09-25 09:27:01 -0700, Jim Cate said:

It's great to try new cheeses while vising France, but what about after
we get back home? Which great cheeses routinely popular in France are
we likely to find at Krogers, HEB or in our local wine shop, which
might be of reasonably good quality? I'm thinking Brie and Camembert
for a start.

I don't think it's really worthwhile looking there. Perhaps the local
wine shop. Around here (Orange County, CA), we have a few specialty
cheese shops. But they are trying to stay alive so they don't have
everything imaginable. Nevertheless the cheese shop in the current
Whole Foods is amazing. In the previous Whole Foods (closed while they
opened their larger store further south), was very good, but no
comparison in depth.

But the real question is "what the hell am I looking for, anyway?" The
answer to that, I think, is in Steve Jenkins "Cheese Primer".
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Old September 26th, 2010, 08:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 124

Lol michaelnewport aka vulva is out again.
Juan, I think the Androuet restaurant has closed or changed and only the
shops are left.
This is to be verified.

de discussion :