Rome Airport (FCO) Transfer

Old October 27th, 2010, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
MacGuy

Default Rome Airport (FCO) Transfer

Does anyone have a recommendation for reliable, honest van service
service between FCO and hotel in Rome? My hotel wants 86. Euro one
way. I would rather not ride the train. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Old October 27th, 2010, 11:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

MacGuy wrote;

Does anyone have a recommendation for
reliable, honest van service service
between FCO and hotel in Rome?

If you want a car & driver (45e) I've used them www.limoservicerome.com

I've also used this car & driver service www.romeshuttlelimousine.com
they used to be the cheapest a few yrs ago (10+e below everyone else)
but it seems they've gotten bigger and their rates are no longer listed.

The multi-stop hotel vans used to be a good deal at 10e p/p, then they
went up to ~25e single/~30e couple and at that time a car & driver was
35-40e.
Plus even if you reserve a seat it's easy to miss your time and end up
waiting.
But I haven't checked out their prices in many yrs so I might be
mistaken.

My hotel wants 86. Euro one way.

And the vast majority of times the hotel just books one of those car &
driver companies for 40-45e and pockets the rest.

I would rather not ride the train.

Esp if you have to take a taxi from Termini to your hotel, IMO it's not
worth the hassle, time and often the inflated cost.

If you are going to be in Rome before Nov 30 you might want to book
this;
http://current.newsweek.com/budgettr...ale_for_u.html
(read the comments section for phone info).
It's the 1st time the Colosseum's basement has been opened to the
public.

A few others that might be of interest
St. Peter's necropolis scavi tour
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34888402
JULIUS CAESAR ASSASSINATION WALK
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34646917
ROMAN FORUM WALKING TOUR (unfinished)
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34713215
Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old October 28th, 2010, 02:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Brian[_1_]

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:14:31 -0700 (PDT), MacGuy
wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation for reliable, honest van service
service between FCO and hotel in Rome? My hotel wants 86. Euro one
way. I would rather not ride the train. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Three years ago we used http://www.airportconnection.it . It was 70
Euros for 3 of us and 9 bags so it was a larger vehicle. We also used
them to go back to Rome after the cruise and then to the airport for
our return.
Old October 28th, 2010, 05:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article
,
MacGuy wrote:

Does anyone have a recommendation for reliable, honest van service
service between FCO and hotel in Rome? My hotel wants 86. Euro one
way. I would rather not ride the train. Any advice would be
appreciated.

I've used this:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Rom...fer-Airport-to
-Hotel/d511-3523ROMAPTHTL
Old October 28th, 2010, 09:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

"MacGuy" wrote in message
Does anyone have a recommendation for reliable, honest van service
service between FCO and hotel in Rome? My hotel wants 86. Euro one
way. I would rather not ride the train. Any advice would be
appreciated.

From the airport website http://www.adr.it/home/fiumicino_it.htm
In correspondence of the Terminals 1, 2, 3 and 5 of Fiumicino airport is
available a taxi service to Rome. The cost of the service is 40 Euros,
baggage included, for a maximum of four passengers, for all the destinations
inside the Mura Aureliane which delimitate the central area of the city. The
cost for the service is the same also for the contrary way, from Rome to
Fiumicino.

For further information contact P.I.T, the Tourist Information Point of
Rome, inside the airport, which supplies information on the service, by
checking if the destination requested is the destination subject to the
fixed rate. For different destinations the cost will be indicated by the
taximeter on each taxi, to which the baggage fee shall be added.

Gerry

Old October 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

From the airport websitehttp://www.adr.it/home/fiumicino_it.htm
In correspondence of the Terminals 1, 2, 3 and 5 of Fiumicino airport is
available a taxi service to Rome. The cost of the service is 40 Euros,
baggage included, for a maximum of four passengers, for all the destinations
inside the Mura Aureliane which delimitate the central area of the city. The
cost for the service is the same also for the contrary way, from Rome to
Fiumicino.

For further information contact P.I.T, the Tourist Information Point of
Rome, inside the airport, which supplies information on the service, by
checking if the destination requested is the destination subject to the
fixed rate. For different destinations the cost will be indicated by the
taximeter on each taxi, to which the baggage fee shall be added.

Gerry

Yeh - it's a rip off for such a short journey, but apparently
unavoidable.
And beware of 'quotes' at the cab rank of 70 Euro.
And also possible attempts at the destination of short-changing for
those unfamiliar with Euros (one trick encountered is asking for a
further 10 Euro note - or whatever - to 'make change easier', then
trying to fiddle the change having got the traveller bemused).
Not my favourite cab route!
Old October 28th, 2010, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 124

hahaha funny martin !

"Martin" a ιcrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...

From the airport websitehttp://www.adr.it/home/fiumicino_it.htm
[...]

and then there's the pickpockets :-)
--

Martin

Old October 29th, 2010, 02:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Brian[_1_]

wrote:

Yeh - it's a rip off for such a short journey, but apparently
unavoidable.
And beware of 'quotes' at the cab rank of 70 Euro.
And also possible attempts at the destination of short-changing for
those unfamiliar with Euros (one trick encountered is asking for a
further 10 Euro note - or whatever - to 'make change easier', then
trying to fiddle the change having got the traveller bemused).
Not my favourite cab route!

When we came back from our cruise, some people didn't have
transportation. The fares that were asked were astounding.
Old October 30th, 2010, 05:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
MacGuy

Walter,

I plan to use romeshuttlelimo. I'm waiting for them to write back with
the payment details. Do I tip the driver? What about regular cabs
around the city? And, restaurant tipping?

Thanks to all for the great info,
Frank

Old October 30th, 2010, 10:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

MacGuy wrote;

I plan to use romeshuttlelimo. [snip]
Do I tip the driver?
What about regular cabs around the city?
And, restaurant tipping?

Local customs vs. American tipping, this might turn into a long
thread:-).

From what I understand; A local likely wouldn't tip the limo driver
plus it's prepaid and no money would exchange hands.

A taxi, a local might round-off the fare i.e. €7.35 to €8.

In a restaurant the 'Service Charge' is very likely included in the
bill (10-15%) and a local might just leave the small change on the
table.

Myself personally, I'd give the limo driver at least €5, the taxi
driver €1 (€2 for bad traffic, dropped off the beaten path, etc)
and the restaurant €2 plus the small change.

What hotel are you staying at? You might have some good bus/tram/metro
options, I'll look it up if you like.

Here's a walking gauge;

From the front door of the Termini Train Station, down Via Cavour
across Via d. Fori Imperial to the Roman Forum entrance takes me 20min.
And I'm a slow walker puffing on a Marlboro.

On your map cut a length of paper that distance (it's basically a
straight shot) and now you can judge walking distances from your hotel,
site to site, etc.

I know map sites have that option but I'm stopping at 'red walk
lights', slowing/stopping at cross streets and getting slowed-down by
even slower walkers than me:-).